Need Tire advice, good or bad... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

Wj Need Tire advice, good or bad...

Somehow on my drive to work today I managed to pick up this little bugger...

I've never seen anything like that before...It's a stick that's about 1/2" thick and I have no clue how it happened...

Anyhow...the tires have a prorated warranty through PepBoys. And, the tires I currently have on there are on closeout. So, I can get the tire replaced for pretty cheap. BUT, they are only replacing the one tire.

On a WJ jeep with a 2" lift...if i have 1 new tire and 3 two year old tires...will this affect my drive or alignment or anything like that? Or, should I insist on having 2 installed?

I've never had this happen before, not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance

Bones heal chicks dig scars & the USA has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you put it (new tire) on the right rear it will ware in from acceleration the fastest.

Saying that a tire that is soft enough to allow a stick to puncture it.............

The coopers on my Cummins bend #12 sheet metal screws.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:26 PM
coolhand

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just curious as to the brand of those tires? I drive over stuff like that all the time with my mailman tires and have never had anything like that.
If your other tires are close to needing replacement I would buy 4 new and ask for a discount on them in place of the prorated price of a week tire.

"The Empty Pocket Warriors." Member #2
"92 YJ, 3.5" BDS. Custom 1.5" lift shackles, 2" BL, Ford 8.8 W/Trac-loc & 33" TrXus MT's (for now).
"No one ever accused the Wrangler of being comfortable, quiet, or practical. No one ever called it boring, either. The Wrangler is a two-door toy, ... great fun to drive with the top down." -- AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE, March 1995.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

If you have a limited slip (or locker)in the rear, it could engage due to different rotational speed with the other worn side when going straight. Either put on the front or do as 86cj says and not worry about it. If you have quadradrive, you might have a problem either way depending on how worn the other tires are.

2004 WJ 4.7L, 1959 CJ-5, 1990 XJ Limited (sold), 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #5 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 03:03 AM
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

IF the tread is close to the other say no worries and put it on right rear as someone said.
this pretty much is only a issue if you have the full time 4wd if you have 2 wd mode don't sweat it.
Now if the tread depth is way different you can have a tire shaved down to match the others any decent tire shop can do this.
That looks pretty new so I don't think I would worry.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
ChrisHager
Smite

2004 WJ 

Garage
What are the tread depths of your old tires vs the new tire?

I just had to do this on my wife's car. Apparently, tires and rusted exhaust parts installed on busy roads don't get along. Fortunately, her tires are wearing like iron and the new tire was quite similar in tread depth compared to the old.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift - Build Thread
His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s - Build Thread
His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom - Build Thread
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
post #7 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the feedback...they are Definity Dakota A/T's and they are only about 2 years old. So, the technicians said I have about 50% tread life left.

As near as I can figure, I ran over a bigger branch and the large chunk broke off...this piece is what was left.
Seems like a 1 in a Million type thing, Lucky me.

Bones heal chicks dig scars & the USA has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 AM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TontoKowalski
Thanks for the feedback...they are Definity Dakota A/T's and they are only about 2 years old. So, the technicians said I have about 50% tread life left. As near as I can figure, I ran over a bigger branch and the large chunk broke off...this piece is what was left. Seems like a 1 in a Million type thing, Lucky me.
which 4WD system do you have?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
which 4WD system do you have?
Uhhhh, it is not full time 4WD. I've got the floor shifter so I need to slam it into 4WD any time I need it.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 AM
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TontoKowalski View Post
Somehow on my drive to work today I managed to pick up this little bugger...

I've never seen anything like that before...It's a stick that's about 1/2" thick and I have no clue how it happened...

Anyhow...the tires have a prorated warranty through PepBoys. And, the tires I currently have on there are on closeout. So, I can get the tire replaced for pretty cheap. BUT, they are only replacing the one tire.

On a WJ jeep with a 2" lift...if i have 1 new tire and 3 two year old tires...will this affect my drive or alignment or anything like that? Or, should I insist on having 2 installed?

I've never had this happen before, not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance
I would get two new tires, put them on the front, sell the used tire on craigs list or see if pepbios would give you some $s for the old tire. The new tire will wear a bit faster on 4wd. On 2wd, if the new tire is on the rear, I'd think it should be OK...I would not put two uneven tread tires on the front...steering in rain may become tricky as the tire with low tread may tend to break loose easier.

hmmm do you have a newer spare? Put that on and throw the old tire as the spare.
J
post #11 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 10:28 AM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TontoKowalski
Uhhhh, it is not full time 4WD. I've got the floor shifter so I need to slam it into 4WD any time I need it.
then you don't have to worry too much at all about the new tire matched with the others. Putting it on right rear will ware it in the fastest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.