Need to replace my entire 242 t case - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Need to replace my entire 242 t case

Looooooong story short, thanks to shoddy work at a shop which credits the failure to my abusing the case, the inside of my transfer case is completely grenaded. Both forks are damaged beyond use, all the planetary gears are chipped and worn, chain is stretched, just a complete disaster. The only useable part left is the casing itself, so obviously it will be much cheaper to replace the entire thing. I don't have the time or workspace to order parts and rebuild my own case right now, and I'm not sure that that would be any cheaper anyways.

I can get a reman for $950, but I could also go through three junkyard cases at $300 apiece before spending that much money. So I think the junkyard is the smarter option (though if money were no object, I would just pay the $1895 at the dealer for a brand new assembly and be done with it). Unless anyone has any other suggestions for a case that will give me some peace of mind.

Just to be 100% sure, the only case that will work is another 242 out of a 4.0 WJ? I cannot swap over input/output shafts, or anything from my current case, so I need it to be 100% bolt up. Also just to be sure, all the ebay listings that claim fitment of 99-01 Grands are incorrect, and all 99-04 are interchangeable? Sorry for the basic questions, I just keep second guessing myself before a big purchase.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

You should be able to bolt up any late model 242 from an automatic with the 4.0. I believe all of these should have the 42RE trans. I have a NP231 from a '99 XJ in mine. Bolted right up, just had to swap the TC shift lever on the side of the case. Of course grabbing one from a WJ would be the easiest way to make sure it would work. Check car-part.com, last time I looked they had 242's starting around $150.

2000 WJ 4.5L - Stroked, Locked, & Long-Armed
Looking for 6" WJ springs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.