How to make a spare key for your Jeep Grand Cherokee 99-04
I decided I wanted more than two keys for my jeep. The dealership wants $65 dollars for a uncut key, than you need to have it cut Which will cost $10-$20 dollars and programmed $30.00-$60.00 I got a spare key for a fraction of that cost had it cut and programmed it my self in less than a minute.
"IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK YOU NEED TO HAVE 2 KEYS ALREADY PROGRAMMED FOR YOUR JEEP. YOU NEED THEM BOTH IN ORDER TO PROGRAM THE THIRD KEY"
I bought "THIS CHIPPED KEY"
off of amazon. It cost roughly $17.00 for the key shipped to my house. Took 4 days to get to my mail box. I'm sure other key blanks would work to but this is the one that worked for me.
The new key is very similar to the original key, it has the same rubbery soft feeling to it really the only difference is it does not say "JEEP" on it.
I first tried Lowes to get the key cut but they said no, as they would not be able to replace the key if it did not work. I than took it to a lock smith they charge me $15 dollars to have it cut.
After the key was cut I followed these simple instructions. It worked like a charm!!
Obtain all keys for this vehicle.
You must have two working programmed keys to do this procedure.
1. Insert first programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON for 3 to 15 seconds. Do not exceed 15 seconds.
2. Turn ignition switch to OFF and remove key.
3. Insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. You must do this within 15 seconds of removing first key. After 10 seconds the immobilizer warning lamp will illuminate and an audible tone will be heard.
4. Turn ignition switch to OFF and remove key.
5. Within 60 seconds insert new unprogrammed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON.
6. After 10 seconds an audible tone will be heard and the immobilizer warning lamp will illuminate for 3 seconds.
7. Turn ignition switch to OFF and remove key.
8. For each additional key to be programmed you must start at step 1 and follow procedure again.
You can have up to 8 keys programmed to vehicle.