Need a new location for windshield washer reservoir - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By lacofdfireman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
lacofdfireman

Need a new location for windshield washer reservoir

I have an 03 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 4x4 with a 3" lift and while in Moab tore the old windshield washer fluid reservoir out along with the pump and wiring. So I recently took my Jeep in for a safety inspection and they wouldn't pass it because it was missing and it has to be working. I have no idea what else can be used in place of the OME as I can't really run anything in that same position as it will tear that one out also. Anyone have any ideas how I can install a new system in my jeep in a different location. Not a lot of extra space under the hood of vehicles anymore. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 PM
slickstick55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I have an 03 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 4x4 with a 3" lift and while in Moab tore the old windshield washer fluid reservoir out along with the pump and wiring. So I recently took my Jeep in for a safety inspection and they wouldn't pass it because it was missing and it has to be working. I have no idea what else can be used in place of the OME as I can't really run anything in that same position as it will tear that one out also. Anyone have any ideas how I can install a new system in my jeep in a different location. Not a lot of extra space under the hood of vehicles anymore. Any help appreciated.

I've seen a ton of write ups done about this, if you had done a quick search before hand you would've been solid. I have went ahead and just quickly compiled a handful of them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...oir-wj-462227/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...21/index2.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...ior-wj-319077/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ution-1389208/

99 WJ Limited: Superchip, K&N Intake, Borla Exhaust. ~ work in progress.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

^ Yup.

ZJ washer bottle is the way to go.

It's even easier on the newer WJ's, as I believe in '01 or '02 was when the charcoal canister and some other emissions equipment was moved back behind the driver side rear wheel. The space that freed up under the hood gives you a nice almost factory looking install.

Us older WJ guys don't have it quite that easy

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-08-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
lacofdfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
^ Yup.

ZJ washer bottle is the way to go.

It's even easier on the newer WJ's, as I believe in '01 or '02 was when the charcoal canister and some other emissions equipment was moved back behind the driver side rear wheel. The space that freed up under the hood gives you a nice almost factory looking install.

Us older WJ guys don't have it quite that easy

Thanks everyone. I just need to try and find a ZJ bottle and the pumps. We destroyed our entire system on our Moab trip. I was also considering maybe just buying a universal fit washer bottle but not sure how it would integrate into the WJ wiring. Haven't been able to find a ZJ setup so universal fit might have to work. Our local junk salvage yards don't have one and I couldn't find one with the pumps on eBay so not sure where to look. The universal fit ones that come with a single pump are like $30. Anyone know if these could work? I don't need anything fancy. Link to universal fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACI-windshie...dXRECl&vxp=mtr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old 07-09-2016, 06:51 AM
grayWJ4x4

I'm pretty sure that with a single motor tank you gonna have to eliminate the rear window washer. Otherwise you will have to use a T connector to hook up the front and the rear hoses together. And in that case you'll have windshield washer fluid come out of rear window every time you use the front washer.
I'd say keep searching the junkyards or eBay for a ZJ bottle.
I did mine last week and it was very easy. Just have to make sure that ZJ bottle has the pump connectors on it because they are different than WJ's. You'll have to splice the WJ harness and if you still have the old WJ bottle just swap the float over the the new bottle. This way you want have to splice the harness.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
lacofdfireman

Any chance you can show me how you did your wiring. I have no idea which ones go where. Here is a photo of my wires on the left that went to the old bottle and the bottom of the pumps that they are supposes to connect to. Not sure how to do this since the wiring is not there anymore... There at 4 wires coming from the same place. The pumps were broke off from bottle and the wiring just hanging when he brought the jeep back to me after 4x4ing and told me he tore everything apart so I have no idea which wires go to what. I'd assume you only need 2 of the 4. I don't need all this to be fancy I just need it to pass safety inspection. I bought my bottle from a salvage yard and they said there was no wiring hooked to the pumps when they pulled it out of the ZJ....

Also not sure what you meant when you said to take the float out of the old WJ bottle. I don't see anything inside it. What am I missing?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
lacofdfireman

After doing a little more research it appear that 2 of the wires go to the pumps then the other 2 go to some sensors. I don't have any of those so how do I go about wiring these? I'm stuck at this point...
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 06:20 PM
grayWJ4x4

To go any further you gonna need the plugs for the ZJ bottle.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures for the wiring but all I did was cut those black and white plugs and spliced the wires together temporarily then pulled the wiper arm until water came out of the front and the back nozzles. I did have to swap the wires and the water hoses once to get the right nozzle to squirt water.
You only need three of those plugs. Two goes to motors, one for the level sensor and the other one is for your fog light.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 PM
akinshake

1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
^ Yup. ZJ washer bottle is the way to go. It's even easier on the newer WJ's, as I believe in '01 or '02 was when the charcoal canister and some other emissions equipment was moved back behind the driver side rear wheel. The space that freed up under the hood gives you a nice almost factory looking install. Us older WJ guys don't have it quite that easy
Is there any good way of relocating the charcoal canister in the early models or deleting it all together?

99 4.0 Laredo Selectrac, 6.5" IRO long arms front and rear, 35" KM2, 17" Moab JK wheels, Clayton D44A truss, 4:56 gears and LSD axle swap in the process.
post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
grayWJ4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinshake View Post
Is there any good way of relocating the charcoal canister in the early models or deleting it all together?

I think it's in moonyJohn build thread that he has the ZJ bottle installed on the passenger side. And it's totally doable. All you have to do is add a few feet of wire to each plug from the harness to make it long enough to reach to the passenger side.
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
lacofdfireman

Well I figured it out. Went back to the salvage yard and they ended up finding me some wires for the ZJ reservoir. It's all done and installed. I ended up having to move that vacuum thing up by the firewall and just zip tying it to a wire loom up there. Also just zip tyed the ZJ reservoir into place. It's not going anywhere with the hood closed. Thanks everyone for your help.

grayWJ4x4 likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Well I figured it out. Went back to the salvage yard and they ended up finding me some wires for the ZJ reservoir. It's all done and installed. I ended up having to move that vacuum thing up by the firewall and just zip tying it to a wire loom up there. Also just zip tyed the ZJ reservoir into place. It's not going anywhere with the hood closed. Thanks everyone for your help.

Pics?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.