Need Help Stranded in The Mountains No lights or any steering column controls. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help Stranded in The Mountains No lights or any steering column controls.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Stonerriflefan4
2000 WJ 

Wj Need Help Stranded in The Mountains No lights or any steering column controls.

I have a 2000 GC lmtd 4.7L. I have been up in Mammoth CA snowboarding over this weekend. Last night went to leave after we check out of our room. We loaded all the bags and gear into the Jeep and I drove around to the front office to give them the room key and pay the bill. Jeep was running and working fine lights and wipers working. We pull out of the Motel 6 on Main street then drive over to McDonald's, go through the drive through and we decided to pull up into the parking lot to eat before we drive back to Vegas.

I shut off the Jeep for about ten minutes while we eat and start it right up and notice that my dash lights didn't come on when I turned the lights on. I turned the lights on and off,.. nothing and I also notice I have no headlights or running lights. Windshield wipers aren't working as well. Nothing on the steering column is working which had been working minutes before. I checked the fuses they all seem to be fine.

Anyone ever have this issue? We were able to get our room back for the night, I tried to check it again this morning and nothing. It was snowing last night and they said the weather will be bad crossing into NV. I need to get home I had to call into work today. I found a covered area that I could possibly work on it. But with 2" of snow that fell last night I'm running out of options. I might have to drive it cautiously to Bishop CA and take it to a shop there and wait for the raping.

I have no controls on the Steering column what so ever. Extremely fustrating because everything was working fine before! No dash lights ( odometer is working ) All the gauges on the cluster are working fine ( oil pressure, fuel, voltage, rpm, speedo). No wipers ( front or rear ), no fog lamps, no hazard lights, radio controls not working, cruise control not working, no turn signals.

Any help or if anyone could suggest how to trace the source of the issues. I do have a small toolbox with me.

Stonerriflefan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
car5car
2000 WJ 

I seems like a few things run from the same fuse or have the same ground.
You need: electrical diagram, service manual, multitester.
I am pretty sure you don't have them.
Remove over under steering column and look for ground wire. I don't know where it is and don't have time to check manual, I have to work.
Call your mechanic, and ask to go over diagram and manual to lead you. You have to pay him for his time.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Pull the dash cover, look for plug and play contacts, check That they Are all seated well, prob just a loose conector somewhere, while at it look for burnt/damaged wires and loose conections/grounds.

Check that battery terminal Are tight and clean, sounds stupid, but this often makes the wj's electronic Go crazy.

Check fuses in BOTH engine compartment and under dash!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to let the computer reset?

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Stonerriflefan4
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
I seems like a few things run from the same fuse or have the same ground.
You need: electrical diagram, service manual, multitester.
I am pretty sure you don't have them.
Remove over under steering column and look for ground wire. I don't know where it is and don't have time to check manual, I have to work.
Call your mechanic, and ask to go over diagram and manual to lead you. You have to pay him for his time.
Thanks for the reply back. I'll give it a quick glance over. I did find a shop here in Mammoth that opens at 9am. I might drive it over there and see if they can diagnose the problem. The area I had picked out to work on my Jeep is now occupied I didn't notice it was reserved for the motel staff. So if I do work on it, it will be out in the wind and snow.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Key trick to pull fault codes of odometer,
Key off>on>off>on>off>on
Wait, evt codes will show in odometer or if nothing it shows done.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

I called my brother (he's a dealer tech) and he said to check the "G200 Ground".

Tells me it sometimes comes loose on the WJ, and is the ground for the issues you're having.

It is in the center console area, next to the airbag control module.

Hope this helps.
console.jpg   g200.gif  

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Axcesseble if you take out 2 screws in the bottom of the storrage room in center consol and take it out.

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
^^^Axcesseble if you take out 2 screws in the bottom of the storrage room in center consol and take it out.
Yeah, he could have told me that.

I just figured I'd give him a call and see, there has to be some benefit to having him work at a dealer!

He's been in their service department for 19 years now and owns an Overland WJ, so he's my go-to when I can't figure something out.

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Stonerriflefan4
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Key trick to pull fault codes of odometer,
Key off>on>off>on>off>on
Wait, evt codes will show in odometer or if nothing it shows done.
I ran out there to try that, no codes says done. I tried it a couple time to make sure. I disconnected the + battery terminal let it reset then reconnected it. But what was strange when I started it up and let it run for a few minutes while it was running I got a chime that I have never heard before. It was three beeps a short pause followed by three beeps. Since I've owned this GC I have never heard that before. I wonder if it is somehow related to my issue.

Still the same all the cluster gauges are working fine. I removed the steering column cover couldn't really see anything that looked disconnected or any burnt or discolored wires. Right now my left knee is numb from kneeling in a puddle of slush and snow. Wind is picking up and the door keeps slamming into my back. Trying to work on this in these conditions are tough. I cant turn the screw driver with a glove on so my hand is going numb too. The jeep is running good so I might risk it and drive south into Southern CA and take the long way back. I'm not going to risk driving through Big Pine mountain range with no lights or wipers.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'm heading over to the shop now, said he won't charge me to check it out but is only open half day and if parts need to be ordered it could take a couple days ( which I don't have ).

Edit: just read the post above. I will try the airbag control it wont hurt to check that really quick.
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonerriflefan4 View Post
I ran out there to try that, no codes says done. I tried it a couple time to make sure. I disconnected the + battery terminal let it reset then reconnected it. But what was strange when I started it up and let it run for a few minutes while it was running I got a chime that I have never heard before. It was three beeps a short pause followed by three beeps. Since I've owned this GC I have never heard that before. I wonder if it is somehow related to my issue.

Still the same all the cluster gauges are working fine. I removed the steering column cover couldn't really see anything that looked disconnected or any burnt or discolored wires. Right now my left knee is numb from kneeling in a puddle of slush and snow. Wind is picking up and the door keeps slamming into my back. Trying to work on this in these conditions are tough. I cant turn the screw driver with a glove on so my hand is going numb too. The jeep is running good so I might risk it and drive south into Southern CA and take the long way back. I'm not going to risk driving through Big Pine mountain range with no lights or wipers.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'm heading over to the shop now, said he won't charge me to check it out but is only open half day and if parts need to be ordered it could take a couple days ( which I don't have ).
The "three beeps *pause* three beeps" is the warning chime.

You get that for everything from service interval to the liftgate being open to forgetting to shut the turn signal off.

When you get it, look at the EVIC for the message on what it's warning you about.

It's your WJ's way of trying to give you a nudge.

Unread 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Stonerriflefan4
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
The "three beeps *pause* three beeps" is the warning chime.

You get that for everything from service interval to the liftgate being open to forgetting to shut the turn signal off.

When you get it, look at the EVIC for the message on what it's warning you about.

It's your WJ's way of trying to give you a nudge.
I wonder if there is an issue there as well. I am not getting any warnings on the EVIC.But we'll leave that for another time I guess.

I checked the G200 ground, there looked to be a nut that holds a ground wire down. I checked to make sure it is intact and has a good connection.

One thing that is extremely strange after messing with that is I now have turn signals and the hazard lights are working too, and if I push the right multi-function switch ( wiper controls ) back to activate the windshield washer function, the wipers will function. But will not function if you turn the rotary switch. Other than turn signals and hazard I have no other working lights on the left multi-function switch. The lift gate wiper is now working as well. I have about 15% of the controls back after messing with the G200. Still no steering wheel controls ( radio volume, etc ) or headlights or fog lights.

I'm almost willing to bet it has to be a bad ground wire that traces back from this G200 to the dash somewhere. It is starting to put me at ease a little bit
knowing that it is just a matter of tracing back the issue to the source. I'm not in an ideal location to trouble shoot an electrical issue. Looks like there might be a break in weather. I just might high tail it out of here while I have the chance. My friend needs to get back to town today. Her dog sitter is only available until 9pm tonight and she has to go to work tonight as well.

I decided I am going to hit the road and get out of dodge. I'll take US-395 to CA hwy 58 to I-15 to Vegas. I can trouble shoot this when I get home.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was starting to stress out over this. I think I can make it home safely due to everyone's help and suggestions. Again thanks for the help it put my mind at ease for the time being.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonerriflefan4 View Post
I wonder if there is an issue there as well. I am not getting any warnings on the EVIC.But we'll leave that for another time I guess.

I checked the G200 ground, there looked to be a nut that holds a ground wire down. I checked to make sure it is intact and has a good connection.

One thing that is extremely strange after messing with that is I now have turn signals and the hazard lights are working too, and if I push the right multi-function switch ( wiper controls ) back to activate the windshield washer function, the wipers will function. But will not function if you turn the rotary switch. Other than turn signals and hazard I have no other working lights on the left multi-function switch. The lift gate wiper is now working as well. I have about 15% of the controls back after messing with the G200. Still no steering wheel controls ( radio volume, etc ) or headlights or fog lights.

I'm almost willing to bet it has to be a bad ground wire that traces back from this G200 to the dash somewhere. It is starting to put me at ease a little bit
knowing that it is just a matter of tracing back the issue to the source. I'm not in an ideal location to trouble shoot an electrical issue. Looks like there might be a break in weather. I just might high tail it out of here while I have the chance. My friend needs to get back to town today. Her dog sitter is only available until 9pm tonight and she has to go to work tonight as well.

I decided I am going to hit the road and get out of dodge. I'll take US-395 to CA hwy 58 to I-15 to Vegas. I can trouble shoot this when I get home.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was starting to stress out over this. I think I can make it home safely due to everyone's help and suggestions. Again thanks for the help it put my mind at ease for the time being.

Well, hopefully what you got back is enough to allow you to limp it home where you can look at it properly.

Getting part of it back by cleaning the ground a little would send me back to it with a piece of sandpaper, crimpers, wire end, and a nut driver, though.

Good luck.

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Stonerriflefan4
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Well, hopefully what you got back is enough to allow you to limp it home where you can look at it properly.

Getting part of it back by cleaning the ground a little would send me back to it with a piece of sandpaper, crimpers, wire end, and a nut driver, though.

Good luck.
Update:

Got in last night around 4:30. Got the GC unloaded, clothes and other gear was thrown in the living room and I took a nap until about 7pm. It was very windy here in town gusts blowing up to 40mph. I decided not to mess with it last night.

This morning before work I decided to get out my tools and really dig into the center console to get a better look at the G200 ground. I cleaned it up really good made sure that it wasn't cracked or broken. Re-installed everything and now everything is working as before.

Big Thanks to you and your brother. That wiring diagram really helped out a lot. Is it legal to send a case of beer through the mail? I owe you one,.. big time.
Again thanks for all the help
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Cool

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.