Need Help Really Confused - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help Really Confused

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Need Help Really Confused

99 wj 4.7
I keep getting a check engine light on for p1391, I have replaced both the cam and crank sensors. I have even replaced the tps to see if that would work but the jeep still puts out a check engine light. Along with the check engine light on the jeep is missing or studdering when I floor it. I am really confused to what could be causing the jeep to have this problem. The jeep will also sometimes not do it, so I floor it again and then it will do it again.

I also have just replaced this engine and I don't no how long the jeep was siting before I bought it so I don't know if the pcm has a problem, or if the pcm has the lastest flash. When I replaced different sensors the problem would happen at different rpm's when I floored it. I am lost to what the problem could be. Since every time I replace a sensor the jeep will run good then all of a sudden start having the problem again.

I am thinking maybe a bad pcm or a bad fuel filter but again I am just guessing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ljhopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe clogged injectors since it only seems to happen when you floor it... Stop flooring it.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11 View Post
Maybe clogged injectors since it only seems to happen when you floor it... Stop flooring it.
Would that cause a p1391 check engine light to come on.
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Here is a link to the engine.

YouTube - 99 jeep grand cherokee with p1391
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Does anybody have an idea?
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

what's making the ticking noise when you're aiming at the engine bay? where is that coming from?
narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
what's making the ticking noise when you're aiming at the engine bay? where is that coming from?
The ac compressor is where it sounds like it coming from.

The engine I just got as a reman.
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

p1391 is "intermittent loss of cmp or ckp" I'd double check the connectors, make sure there's no corrosion, and follow the wires and make sure there's no kinks or sharp bends, etc.... I'd also check nearby grounds, pull them and sand off corrosion/rust.
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhopp View Post
Would that cause a p1391 check engine light to come on.
No idea, just a guess based on what is happening.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Quote:
p1391 is "intermittent loss of cmp or ckp" I'd double check the connectors, make sure there's no corrosion, and follow the wires and make sure there's no kinks or sharp bends, etc.... I'd also check nearby grounds, pull them and sand off corrosion/rust.
I have a haynes manual, so I have all the codes and what they mean. I am just really confused to what is causeing this. I double checked all the connectors and they look good. I think their is short somewhere in the wiring because it seems like the more I drive the jeep it seems to start having the problem soon on the rpm's. At first it wouldn't do it when in park and reving it, now it does it when in park and reving it so it seems to be getting worse. But as soon has it gets past the studder it takes off like nothing is wrong.
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Could the map sensor be causing this problem since it controls fuel delivery and lignition timing. Sounds like good guess to.
Unread 06-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Do you know where the wires that come from the sensor's go to? What pcm harness connector are they connected to, the one on the left side or middle or the right side.

Thanks
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I am unsure which connector they are. It's not going to hurt anything to pull and clean the battery terminals, but while they're disconnected--pull and inspect the PCM connectors.

Unread 06-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I am unsure which connector they are. It's not going to hurt anything to pull and clean the battery terminals, but while they're disconnected--pull and inspect the PCM connectors.
I did all that today and still nothing I even checked all the volts and grounds at the sensors and everything checked ok. I think I have a bad pcm that is causing the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.