Need Help With Newly Installed WJ Overland 6 inch Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help With Newly Installed WJ Overland 6 inch Lift

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
KrazyB2004
2004 WJ 

Hello, I'm new on here and I hope someone can help me with my new 6 inch lift I have installed on my 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee Overland. I would like to stay at 6 inches so I don't have to cut out my fenders and clear the 33" tires and 18 inch wheels that I bought brand new and have on it. I have already trimmed my front bumper so it is ok. I will be driving it on the highway mostly to and off-road some maybe. The parts I have and installed are a front JKS Adjustable track bar, rough country 4" drop pitman arm, rear addco 1" sway bar, IRO extended sway bar links, Bilstein Shocks, 4" Teraflex coil springs with 1.75 spacers in front and rear also with two 3/4 rear coil spacers too, Rock Crawler Upper A-arm spacer with 1" offset, IRO 3 Link front high clearance fixed long arms with Rusty's Off-road adjustable rear long arms to with new brackets and cut the original factory ones off for the new long arms. Ok now First problem I'm having is the front suspension and the springs having a curve to them and not straight and hitting the sway bar links on the passenger side. The driver side is not so bad and has the Y Link on the long arm. Could it be because it is not a 4 Link setup? Also the IRO sway bar links I have are for a 4" lift so that could cause a problem to I would think. Another thing is if it would be safer and better to get 6" coil springs I will. Second problem is my driveshaft angles on the front and rear and I have not installed the TC drop because people said it makes the angle worse on the front driveshaft. On the transfer-case the pinion angle is 6 degrees, the rear end it is 9 degrees and the driveshaft working angle is 10 degrees which is not good and will not work as far as driveline vibes. Could i use a TC drop with a multiple Double Cardan Front driveshaft because of the angle? Also anyone on here been able to just lengthen your rear two u joint driveshaft and been ok with no vibes? That's what I was hoping I could do and wanted to ask If it was possible or if anyone on here has done it. If not I will have to go to a double cardan on the rear too. All help is appreciated thanks

Last edited by KrazyB2004; 07-25-2014 at 09:28 AM..
KrazyB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

First of all, you picked a terrible setup for a DD. Secondly, ditch the drop pitman arm. Since you have an adjustable trackbar, its not needed. Thirdly, you need to adjust your trackbar to center your axle, then adjust your control arms to pinpoint a happy medium between caster angle and pinion angle. At that height, it is going to be difficult to achieve decent caster without driveline vibes.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

^ what he said. Also, for the last time, IRO's lift is NOT a 3 link.

First thing I'd do is remove the spacers to reduce a bit of height.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyB2004 View Post
for my daily driving on the highway and not off-roading...

...4" Teraflex coil springs with 1.75 spacers in front and rear also with two 3/4 rear coil spacers too...

Why do you need that much lift? Even if 6" is needed, purposely stacking spacers doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

There is quite a bit wrong with your setup. Start with what ezflip and skain8 suggested and see where that gets you.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
KrazyB2004
2004 WJ 

Thank you for the replies to my questions and comments. I went to a 6" lift and higher so I could clear 33" tires without cutting my fenders and thought that was best and bought new 18" wheels and 33" tires. I added 2.5 coil spacers at first because I already had them and saw it was to much, so I bought and went down on the suspension with the crown 1.75 spacers instead and thought it would be ok. Now on the front my spring perch's are tilted so much it's causing the springs to bow forward. I have the front IRO high clearance long arms with angle adjustment only for the caster and pinion angle. In the rear I have Rusty's Off-road adjustable lower long arms. I had to cut all the original factory mounts off so I could use the long arms. How can I get my caster back close to factory specs and correct pinion angle?
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
texlurch
2002 WJ 

You can't get the caster and pinion angles back to factory specs at that lift height without doing surgery on the axle.
Best you can do is a compromise. You want less caster with the larger tires anyhow.
You would be much better off getting a 6 in spring if you want to stay at that height.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
KrazyB2004
2004 WJ 

Ok does the front differential pinion shaft have to point straight at the transfer case to avoid vibration of the driveshaft?
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Ok does the front differential pinion shaft have to point straight at the transfer case to avoid vibration of the driveshaft?
Pretty much.. a couple deg down in relation to the driveshaft is actually better to allow rotation of the bearings in the u-joint.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

Quote:
It depends on what front driveshaft you have (CV or Cardan). If you search on the forum you'll find your answer on this.

It sounds like your control arms up front aren't adjustable length which is less than ideal for dialing in your front axle location. Basically if you want your front springs to not bow out forward you need to be able to move the axle forward or lose some of your lift.

Stacking spacers is pretty much universally advised against, but I think a spacer on top of a lift spring is ok as long as you can adjust for the height.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk but in all honesty it sounds like you lift was pieced together without much forethought or research.
FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
KrazyB2004
2004 WJ 

I have a double cardan front driveshaft and would it help if I had 6 inch coil springs in front and lose the spacers as far as the bowing of the coil springs?
Unread 07-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
I have a double cardan front driveshaft and would it help if I had 6 inch coil springs in front and lose the spacers as far as the bowing of the coil springs?
No. And spring bow is the least of your worries.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.