Need Help with Heater problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need Help with Heater problem.

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
PoorFella
2002 WJ 

Wj Need Help with Heater problem.

Today I flushed and changed the coolant on the used Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 engine that i just bought a few weeks ago. Also installed a new thermostat ( old one was ok i just wanted a new fail safe one before winter). Everything went good except after all was done i noticed when driving down the road the heat coming out of the vents was hot but after coming to a stop the heat was not as hot, more like just warm. First thing that came to mind was the water pump however the temp gauge reads normal driving or at idle. Any ideas why its doing this or is it normal?

PoorFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Back flushing the heater core may help you out.
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

x2. Make sure you use only a garden hose and nothing more powerful or you'll risk blowing it. Unhook the coolant lines and go backward the forward and repeat until the water runs clear both ways.

Be careful of the failsafe thermostat. If it sticks open during the winter you really won't have proper heat, and the engine won't come to proper operating temp.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
PoorFella
2002 WJ 

I used a back flush kit placing a tee in the heater hose line going to the thermostat. I use a water hose connected to the inline tee. It had an adapter that went into the top of the radiator fill. I connected another hose to the adapter so coolant went into a bucket when it came out the top of the radiator. I run water until it was clear with the engine off the i started the engine with water still going through and it turned green again. I let it run for maybe 5 mins and the water came out clear again. I then emptied the over flow tank and proceeded to fill radiator with the new antifreeze after the engine cooled down. I started the engine while filling with new coolant to try and make sure all the air was out. Once the radiator was full i waited until the thermostat opened which let the coolant level drop in the radiator the proceeded to fill with antifreeze until all the bubbles stoped the put radiator cap back on and refilled the over flow tank. Warm air was coming out of the vents however when i increased the engine idle to 1500-2000 rpm the the air got hotter then when i let it idle around 600 rpm it went back to warm. I also had the heater on high while filling the radiator. Yes i know if the fail safe thermostat goes bad it will stick open which i thought would be than one going bad and sticking closed and possibly over heating.
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

#1. Shouldn't it be pinkish or orangish coolant?

#2. You DID buy the correct thermostat, right? A 195 degree thermostat? Just thinking a lower temp thermostat would run cooler.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

Sounds like you have air trapped in the system?
Brakeman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
PoorFella
2002 WJ 

It had green coolant in it when i bought it. Thats one reason i flushed it not knowing what was in it. The new i put in was Zerex G-05 with H.O.A.T. which is orange and what the manual calls for.The thermostat was 195 degree. I thought i got the air out but that could be a possibility. How do i know for sure all the air is out? I am getting warm air at idle but when the engine rpm goes up i get hotter air like it should be.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFella View Post
It had green coolant in it when i bought it. Thats one reason i flushed it not knowing what was in it. The new i put in was Zerex G-05 with H.O.A.T. which is orange and what the manual calls for.The thermostat was 195 degree. I thought i got the air out but that could be a possibility. How do i know for sure all the air is out? I am getting warm air at idle but when the engine rpm goes up i get hotter air like it should be.
With the iPad, I am unable t see your profile. If you have a 4.7L there is a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. The 4.0, I don't remember, but if you park on uphill, run it with the heater on, the air should bubble up and out.

Unread 09-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
PoorFella
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
With the iPad, I am unable t see your profile. If you have a 4.7L there is a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. The 4.0, I don't remember, but if you park on uphill, run it with the heater on, the air should bubble up and out.

Its got the 4.0
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFella View Post

Its got the 4.0
I know more about the 4.7, but someone will chime in. If you want to do a search, there are plenty of threads that tell you how to bleed a 4.0. Most of them will tell you what I said; park with the font uphill, run the heater, the air will work it's way out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.