Need help with the Blower-motor resistor and wiring harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help with the Blower-motor resistor and wiring harness

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
SW045

Need help with the Blower-motor resistor and wiring harness

Ok, I've put off repairing the last of AC-Heat due to the motor cutting on for a while. Reading info here along with other forums and WJ-Jeeps I set out to replace my resistor wiring harness under my dash. Once I got the harness off and resistor cover off to direct wire the leads, I've discovered that the resistor module itself was damaged. The power lead, (outside left pin,) was burnt and loose which probably is related to me removing the connector.

I found a resistor at a local dealer for $124.00, (05012699AA) and I already have the wiring harness kit I bought earlier. My plan was to directly wire the harness, (05102406AA) to the resistor but now I have to replace both. I've read a lot about replacing the resistor as it's a common failure along with the harness but I'm not sure how to go about doing so.

According to photos of the resistor module it has a connector on the end but can't see where that plugs in. I assume it goes into the fan motor behind the dash. Can I get to that plug if I remove the glove-box? I assume I don't want to splice the wires and connect the new module via crimps correct? Assuming I can get to that connector the new one will plug in but I still have to splice the harness together, correct? Or since I have the glove-box out can I get to the connector for the wiring harness?

Any help would be appreciated....

2004-WJ Overland w/ATC

SW045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i just did all this and you don't need to remove any dash or trim...

the red & white wire goes to the fan, the wire does run up in the dash just a little, then back down and out, over to the far passenger side and plugs into the bottom of the fan.

the 3 wire connector that comes out of the dash is the only one that needs to be spliced, and it can be pulled down far enough to get to without removing any dash components. i had to lay kinda upside-down in the foot area to get to it and spilce it well, PITA, but not too big a deal.

my local dealer gives a discount for one of the jeep clubs, maybe ask around for the same, I only paid $97 for the blower controller, also check out http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
SW045

Thanks....

I'll get back under there and see if I can see where that red-white cable runs to. Looking today I couldn't trace to the cable. When you spliced your resistor connector but you directly connect the connectors to the spades or actually use the provided plug?

I really didn't want to remove the glove-box as it looks *too* easy to remove and those items never are in general.

Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find that part online but I keep finding $110+ for it. I called my local dealer today, I know they have one in stock so I was going to swing by and get it so I can fix this tomorrow or this weekend. It's too damn hot in Atlanta now to go without A/C for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i just did all this and you don't need to remove any dash or trim...

the red & white wire goes to the fan, the wire does run up in the dash just a little, then back down and out, over to the far passenger side and plugs into the bottom of the fan.

the 3 wire connector that comes out of the dash is the only one that needs to be spliced, and it can be pulled down far enough to get to without removing any dash components. i had to lay kinda upside-down in the foot area to get to it and spilce it well, PITA, but not too big a deal.

my local dealer gives a discount for one of the jeep clubs, maybe ask around for the same, I only paid $97 for the blower controller, also check out http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW045 View Post
I'll get back under there and see if I can see where that red-white cable runs to. Looking today I couldn't trace to the cable. When you spliced your resistor connector but you directly connect the connectors to the spades or actually use the provided plug?

I really didn't want to remove the glove-box as it looks *too* easy to remove and those items never are in general.

Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find that part online but I keep finding $110+ for it. I called my local dealer today, I know they have one in stock so I was going to swing by and get it so I can fix this tomorrow or this weekend. It's too damn hot in Atlanta now to go without A/C for long.
it was 112 today here! glad mine went out back a few weeks ago when it was only 100!

look at the fan housing over near the door and you'll see the wire and connector hanging from the fan, pull it off and then when you tug on it you can see how it just routes up into the dash a little only to keep it from hanging down in the foot area.
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
SW045

Mine has some serious tension on it.

It looks like it goes straight up into the dash and not towards the door but I'll verify that tomorrow. Once I locate the connector does it have a tab on it to push out or does it just come out? Pulling on that damn resistor connector required a lot of effort due to the melting around the plug.

Oh as for the heat, that's a 'dry' heat. Still hot but I've lived in the southwest and southeast, I'm not sure which is worse.

Thanks for the help, I might need some more advice tomorrow once I get the part.

Quote:
it was 112 today here! glad mine went out back a few weeks ago when it was only 100!

look at the fan housing over near the door and you'll see the wire and connector hanging from the fan, pull it off and then when you tug on it you can see how it just routes up into the dash a little only to keep it from hanging down in the foot area.
Unread 06-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
SW045

Ok I replaced the resistor but it's still not working

I used wire crimps for the harness and notices the brow/white control wire came loose so that obvious isn't going to work. Is the only option here is to solder the wires together?

Also, due to my old wiring harness being so badly damaged I couldn't tell what order the wires are in. From looking at the old resistor, new one and stuff I've found online it looks like the wire order should go red, brown/white, black in the new harness.

Red being the outside most wire so something like this.

radio < + c/w - > towards door

Am I right here?
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
SW045

Ok, I figured out I had the black and red wires reveresed

I corrected this by wiring the black > c/W > red on the harness and plugged it into the resistor but it's still not working. I pulled the diag codes and the system is reporting a 20 which is recirc door.

The other day before I pulled the connector off the fan did kick on when I wiggled the wires on the resistor so I know this is the problem. I'm just at a loss at the moment.
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
theksmith
2003 WJ 

here's a pic looking up at the installed module, big black on far left (near center console), big red on far right (near door), and little wire in the middle.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac/blower_motor_02.jpg
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
FooK
2002 WJ 

Is this the issue you're talking about? My blower motor just died too.

http://wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm

With this fix?

Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
SW045

Smith, I just confirmed it I now have it wired correct

I did have it wired red--control--black with black towards the door now I have it wired black---control---red with red towards the door. Is it possible I fried the resistor when I had the red and black wires reversed? This is highly unlikely but anything is possible I guess.

I'm hearing a groaning noise come from what seems to be the blower motor but I've had this present for some time. About the same time the wiring harness/resistor died so I don't this it's related. To me it seems like the blower motor isn't getting any juice.

Isn't there a fuse in the mix somewhere? I can't find it in the owner's manual but I do see reference to it on WJJeeps under the repair.
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
SW045

Yep, that's the part for the wiring harness

Fook, inspect your resistor module as it might be hosed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooK View Post
Is this the issue you're talking about? My blower motor just died too.

http://wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm

With this fix?

Unread 06-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW045 View Post
I did have it wired red--control--black with black towards the door now I have it wired black---control---red with red towards the door. Is it possible I fried the resistor when I had the red and black wires reversed? This is highly unlikely but anything is possible I guess.

I'm hearing a groaning noise come from what seems to be the blower motor but I've had this present for some time. About the same time the wiring harness/resistor died so I don't this it's related. To me it seems like the blower motor isn't getting any juice.

Isn't there a fuse in the mix somewhere? I can't find it in the owner's manual but I do see reference to it on WJJeeps under the repair.
this shows where the blower motor fuse is:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/power_dist_ctr_02.jpg

if it's not blown, then jumper wires directly to the blower fan and see if it is ok, if it's ok, then you probably fried your new blower resistor module
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
SW045

Ok I found the fuse and put in a new one

When I did the new fuse popped right away, engine was off and A/c was off. Again, to confirm the wiring orientation of the harness.

Towards steering wheel.....towards passenger door

Black wire----smaller wire.......Red wire

That's how it's currently connected so I'm assuming the new resistor is fine and I'm dealing with something else? How can I jumper wires to the fan to see if I can get it to work?

Quote:
this shows where the blower motor fuse is:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/power_dist_ctr_02.jpg

if it's not blown, then jumper wires directly to the blower fan and see if it is ok, if it's ok, then you probably fried your new blower resistor module
Unread 06-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
theksmith
2003 WJ 

regarding orientation of wires, you are correct with:

Towards steering wheel.....towards passenger door
Black wire----smaller wire.......Red wire
Unread 06-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #15
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i hope i didn't cost you a fuse by not being clear.. when i said 'jumper', i meant you have to remove the connector from the fan itself... then connect the fan terminals directly to the battery using your own wires just for a second to make sure it comes on... NOT short-out the terminals with a 'jumper'.

you can even take the whole fan out to make it easy to trouble shoot, you don't have to remove the dasy, i think there are 3 or 4 screws at the bottom of the fan that let it drop down out of the housing.

if you can verify that the fan works independant of the system by connecting it directly to power, and verify that the blower fuse and any other fuses for the climate system are good, and verify with a voltmeter that you have power at the fuseblock for each fuse.... well then i don't know what else to tell you - the controls and the blower controller (resistor) are actually all digital and I have no idea how to troubleshoot them

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.