Need help with axle leaking at CV Joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help with axle leaking at CV Joint

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
insjim
2002 WJ 

Wj Need help with axle leaking at CV Joint

I have a axle leaking at the CV joint running down the tire (quite a bit of fluid) I did not have a problem before I put in a rebuilt CV Joint from OReillys. Could this have damaged the seal or do you think I will be OK just getting a new CV joint? because I assume the one I just put in is defective because it started leaking the day it was installed.

insjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

A new cv shaft won't fix a damaged inner seal. Time to remove the carrier.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
insjim
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
A new cv shaft won't fix a damaged inner seal. Time to remove the carrier.
Yes I understand that, I was wanting to know if an out of spec CV joint shaft could have caused damages to the seal or if I get a correct CV axle..... is it possible it will stop leaking? I developed the leak immediately after I installed a new CV axle. Would it have caused damages to the seal?
Unread 06-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
insjim
2002 WJ 

I guess what I am wanting to know is if a faulty CV shat I bought from Oreillys Auto Parts could make the Axle leak and if so would it have caused damage to the seal? The reason I changed the CV joint in the first place was because a friend said my clunking in the front was the CV joint but it turned out it was only a shock and the original CV joint was fine, unfortunately I had to give up the original for a core trade in. Jeep only has 77,000 miles.
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

No. It won't stop leaking. Doubt you have a faulty half shaft. Be more careful next time.

231HD build guide
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
ace4usmc
2004 WJ 

I had a similar issue after swapping out my dirvers side CV. Turned out the one they gave me was around an inch, give or take, shorter than the one I took out. Gear oil was leaking down the CV shaft/axel tube and getting slung all over my wheelwell. Also, the CV boot was rubbing on the knuckle and causing wear on the rubber. I caught it before it wore through and made them take it back so I could find some place that had the correct length. Of course now that I look at your specs, I have the 4.0 with QT II versus your 4.7 with QD so it may not be the same issue since the QD CV shaft is the shorter of the two.
ace4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
insjim
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
No. It won't stop leaking. Doubt you have a faulty half shaft. Be more careful next time.
Follow Up, I pulled the CV unit out today and it factory specs at 41 1/8" which was the Oreillys re-manufactured shaft, I took it back and put in a new non re-manufactured one from Oreillys and it factory specs at 41 3/32", Put it all back together took it out for a 50 mile road test and it fixed the leak problem. I just wanted to let you all know that this was my issue and yes a faulty CV joint whether new or not can make it leak. I am not sure the length was the issue but something was wrong with that CV joint they sold me. Thanks for the help
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insjim View Post
Follow Up, I pulled the CV unit out today and it factory specs at 41 1/8" which was the Oreillys re-manufactured shaft, I took it back and put in a new non re-manufactured one from Oreillys and it factory specs at 41 3/32", Put it all back together took it out for a 50 mile road test and it fixed the leak problem. I just wanted to let you all know that this was my issue and yes a faulty CV joint whether new or not can make it leak. I am not sure the length was the issue but something was wrong with that CV joint they sold me. Thanks for the help
Congratulations on a cheap fix. You defied the odds.

231HD build guide
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
oldfamilyguy

Did you check the diff level? It may be too low to leak now. I think what the previous poster meant is that you may have damaged the seal doing the install.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

When you removed the shaft the first time, its possible that the gear oil seeped past the seal and was just sitting in the axle tube, slowly making its way out. Fairly common when replacing a shaft, especially if the axle was tilted at all when the shaft was removed or if the oil level was above the bottom of the seal. Top off the diff and just keep an eye on it to see if it leaks any more. Also, the total length of the axle shaft being 1/32" different would have no bearing on the seals. What you would want to measure would be the seal surface (diameter and location) which is on the outside of the center section.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
insjim
2002 WJ 

Actually the Jeep was about 10 degree incline leaning toward the opposite side when I removed it. This was a serious leak coated the whole inside of the tire, brakes etc. on a 10 mile drive to town then continued to drip in the driveway. I was very careful pulling the old shaft out as it came out with ease and the new dropped right in with no problems. I gave the parts store back the shaft so I do not have it to gauge the seal surface diameter....had to have been out of spec. Front Diff was about half a quart low so I topped off and added 1 ounce FM that is not factory. I used to occasionally get a tire rub sound when tight turning on the front right. I rotated that tire to the back right side and now the sound transferred to the back (same tire), that tire is worn on the outside which I am hoping is the reason for the transfer of the dreaded tire rub sound from the rotation from front to rear.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.