Need help asap stuck on side of the road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help asap stuck on side of the road

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

Need help asap stuck on side of the road

Just pick up 2000 jeep gc 4x4 4.0l 175000 from the dealer 400 miles away. Car run and drive good. The shifter was in 2 wd mode whole time I left dealer. Put on some gas and drive home . As soon I get on 75mph steering wheel shake or vibration. I call the dealer he say he never drive that fast so he don't know. He say could need alligment or bad tires. I was thinking I fix those when I get home. 200 miles later on high way travel 70mph I heard a loud humble noise coming from under the car. Then suddenly the car making jerking . Like when u hit the brake really hard. Then I saw smoke under the car. I pull over and look under . Saw alot fluid coming out from front diff and transfer case area. I call the dealer and he agree fix everything. The tow truck guy say" did you drive this thing in 4wd ? I say no. The shifter was on 2wd mode whole time I left dealer. He say the car in 4wd whole time. I don't know wat to do. The dealer say tow the car to any hotel and stay there a night. 172 for tow and 50 for hotel. I don't know wat to do now I need get home and I need a car for school.

NeverL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

I did bought 3000 miles or 4 month power train warranty for 100 dollar but only pay 50 dollar. My question is how come I'm in 4wd mode when it say 2wd mode on the shifter.

You think dealer will fix this ? And wat else will be damage when this happent. The tow truck say transfer case and front diff properly need replace and rear diff too.

It's Saturday and I'm stay in hotel 200 miles away. Dealer say he will call me in the morning.
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
shepd
2000 WJ 

Sounds like you have selec-trac from the 2WD option on the shifter. If that's the case, if there's no light on the dash saying you're in part-time and the shifter isn't obviously in 4LO, there's nothing wrong with being on the highway in 4WD. Selec-trac permits 2WD and 4WD Full Time on the highway. 4LO and 4WD Part Time cannot be used on anything but slippery surfaces.

Of course, the transfer case *should* select the correct setting. But if there's a problem, maybe it wouldn't. But you'd definitely see that light on the dash then.

Sorry, can't help past that, except to ask if the fluid leaking out smells sulfurous or not. If it does, that's gear oil, and if it was smoking, I'm guessing the differential leaked and that means the diff is pooched. If it doesn't, hard to say, but the fluid in the transfer case would be red, because in the Selec-trac it's the same stuff that's in the transmission. Hopefully in that case it is the transfer case, because the transmission is sure to be pretty expensive.

Let us know which one died!
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

Their is no light on the dash say I'm I'm 4wd . And I just look under the car this morning. The front diff is the one that leak badly. The transfer case and rear diff is dry. So front diff blow up cause any other part broke too ?
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
shepd
2000 WJ 

I imagine the only things the front diff would be able to blow up would be stuff directly connected to it, such as carrier/pinion bearings, axle shafts, possibly drive shaft. Still ain't cheap! You'd know if the drive shaft were done in I think, though. And the axle shafts aren't too expensive. It's the diff that's going to cost $$$. But, if you have the warranty, hey, it's an easy enough fix. They'll probably just pull off the old axle from a junkyard vehicle and put in a new one with a good diff, that'd fix everything all at once and be pretty cheap, since the D30 in the front of the Jeep is not exactly a popular axle anyways.
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

I just check again rear diff left side seal is leaking black fluid bad.
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
shepd
2000 WJ 

Well, the seals do leak on these things, but it should be fixed. Depending on where you are, a leaking axle seal shouldn't have even passed inspection/safety.
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverL8 View Post
I just check again rear diff left side seal is leaking black fluid bad.
axle seals and wheel bearings need replaced then.

the front could have roasted for a number of reasons. but 4wd isn't one of them the whole front end turns no matter if you're in 4wd or 2.

i'm betting either just plain bad pinion bearings or someone reused the pinion nut when the replaced a pinion seal causing the pinion to fall into the ring gear area and break things really badly.

good luck with the dealer covering it.

is english a second language?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

Yes
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

I would make sure the dealer pays for it. Bet the diff was low on fluid got hot and boom! Low fluid can keep the axle locked if you have that option on the jeep. Sucks man keep us informed on what they find.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

I'm stuck here at boosier city la ATM. No u haul or any other towing company have one available til Monday
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

On my 4wd shifter it say neutral press down. Wat that for '?
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

Made home ok, when my mind clear, I tell story, need sleep.
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Newb1995jeepgc

Neutral on the shifter if for towing.. it unlocks the Transfer case from the axles so you can tow it on like a uhaul car trailer that only is made to put the front tires on it... its so the front and rear tires can spin at different rates without hurting anything.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6- 133***
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.