Need help with '99 G-C Limited - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
TomThomas
1999 WJ 

Wj Need help with '99 G-C Limited

Beautiful daughter's absolutely beautiful Jeep is giving her fits. Moderate clunking rattle noise coming from rear end on gravel roads, rough paved roads, patched paved roads, bridge thresholds, etc. At first we thought it sounded like something was loose in the spare tire cavity under the rear floor, so we emptied it out. Then we thought bad shocks, so we replaced them all around. Then we thought rear sway links were bad, so we replaced them. Still rattles like we did nothing; annoying!!. It is a loose, metal-on-metal, rattly-clunkety-rattle-rattle sound. She is nearly all original, straight, bone stock, rust free, beautiful running and looking; never rock crawled, mudded, or banged around off road. Any ideas (?) Tom and Paige

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM
JMaster
2004 WJ 

Garage
So Many things it could be it is frustrating Im sure. Can you grab the upper control arm and move it by hand?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
TomThomas
1999 WJ 

I'll check it when she brings it home. That sounds very feasible! We were under the rear end of it on the weekend, and noted that ALL of the bushings, body mounts, etc, were factory original '99; some/most of which were dryrotted as H#LL. Could possibly be coming from that; but were unable to test. We hung the rear suspension by the frame on tri-pod floor jacks, then loaded it by putting up pressure on the pig using a hydraulic floor jack. She then articulated it on each side one at a time by using a prybar beneath each tire/wheel; we were unable to repeatedly replicate the sound. I guess we weren't accurately enough simulatating in the garage real road driving conditions.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

dumb question but do you have a ball hitch in it? mine rattles like a B**** on bumpy roads.

SILVER&BLACK 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L V8 HO, Clayton 6" liftT w/ Bilstien 5100's and 2in pucks , 37X12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on red and black Creeper Locks, front and back Dana 60 w/ ARB lockers, Chromolly shafts and 5.13 gears, ARB compressor, Flowmaster 50 exhuast, K&N FIPK, IRO front bumper and flares, and Cobra 29NW with firestick antenna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM
fastblack
2000 WJ 

Check to see if it's the rear hatch. Mine rattles and I've just been lazy about fixing it. I assume there is some adjustment on the vehicle side of the latch.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 PM
Minndave13
2004 WJ 

Garage
Wj

Wife's van had a terrible rattle. i couldn't figure it out so she went to the dealership. Turns out there was something loose on the caliper. Check to see if caliper is nice and tight on the mounting bolts.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
TomThomas
1999 WJ 

All good suggestions! Nothing in the hitch receiver. Back hatch could be rattling; I'll test drive it open to verify. Brakes were redone recently,, but certainly worth a safety check to see if it's all tight. Thanks guys!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM
fastblack
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThomas
All good suggestions! Nothing in the hitch receiver. Back hatch could be rattling; I'll test drive it open to verify. Brakes were redone recently,, but certainly worth a safety check to see if it's all tight. Thanks guys!
I can grab the bottom of the hatch when it's closed and move it just slightly.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2017, 02:01 PM
mshaffer

Several years ago I dropped a bolt into the rear door. It fell down to the bottom inside of the door. It still rattles if I'm going over a bump, etc. It could be something like that..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.