Need help!?!?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need help!?!?!?!?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
BENSHER

Need help!?!?!?!?

NEED HELP!!! 1999 Jeep Grand cherokee 4x4 4.7 V8
i have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 with about 125,500 miles and recently its been acting crazy..... i live in las vegas and its starting to get hot here (100+ everyday) and thats when the problem started happening.
While driving it will shut off randomly but all my gauges, radio, and A/C all stay on as if the Jeep is still running....after roughly 20min it will fire right up... once it starts up i can drive 20+ miles other times i get 500ft and it dies again....4 days ago i saw i key with a circle around it and a line though it appear on the dash but went away have not seen it since only popped up once....
Based on other forums, internet research and chatting with mechanics i was under the impression it was the crankshaft position sensor or the cam sensor so i replaced both due to the fact that it was under $100 for both while changing the cam sensor i found that all 3 wires had all the insulation melted off of them and they were all touching due to the exposed bare copper, so i was sure that was the problem bought a new pigtail and swapped it out but still having the same problem today was driving and it just died waited 5 min started back up! i still have to change out the clock spring since that went out but that was like 6 months ago, but i wouldnt think that would contribute to the stalling problem but i dont know i am lost dont know what to do... any help would be much appreciated.... THanks

BENSHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Do you think it could just be over heating? Im not entirely sure thats why I ask.
B-Ball25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Check battery connections to be secure, clean and that the battery is in good condition. Heat kills batteries much like cold does and these WJ's have to have a good battery to even idle.

If you're stalling mostly when coasting or coming to a stop, I'd clean up the connection then have the battery load tested.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENSHER View Post
NEED HELP!!! 1999 Jeep Grand cherokee 4x4 4.7 V8
i have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 with about 125,500 miles and recently its been acting crazy..... i live in las vegas and its starting to get hot here (100+ everyday) and thats when the problem started happening.
While driving it will shut off randomly but all my gauges, radio, and A/C all stay on as if the Jeep is still running....after roughly 20min it will fire right up... once it starts up i can drive 20+ miles other times i get 500ft and it dies again....4 days ago i saw i key with a circle around it and a line though it appear on the dash but went away have not seen it since only popped up once....
Based on other forums, internet research and chatting with mechanics i was under the impression it was the crankshaft position sensor or the cam sensor so i replaced both due to the fact that it was under $100 for both while changing the cam sensor i found that all 3 wires had all the insulation melted off of them and they were all touching due to the exposed bare copper, so i was sure that was the problem bought a new pigtail and swapped it out but still having the same problem today was driving and it just died waited 5 min started back up! i still have to change out the clock spring since that went out but that was like 6 months ago, but i wouldnt think that would contribute to the stalling problem but i dont know i am lost dont know what to do... any help would be much appreciated.... THanks
Perhaps the SKIS chip in your key is flaky or sensitive to heat? Have you tried another key? I am only saying this, because you said you saw a the key, with a circle around it, light, pop up. That sounds like what happens if I try to start my car with my non-security chipped key. It will start, immediately turn off, but all the gauges radio, and blower stay on.
If you have a 2nd key, it's worth a shot.
I'd say buy a new key and program it yourself-http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm, but I don't know if you have a 2nd key.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Sks or BCM issue. First things first. Check your battery connections. They must be clean and tight (Mopars from that era HATE loose connections.)
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
BENSHER

Thanks for all the advice everyone I am trying all of it when I get off work, pretty sure it's not over heating it says its 210 on temp gague i think thats normal but i sm no mechanic also one guys told me it was the PCM any thoughts?
BENSHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Just a hair under 210 is considered operating temprature via the gauge. If you have an OBDII reader you can check and see exactly what the ECM is seeing for temp. Mine usually sees somewhere 190-195.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Do the key dance and see if you have any codes

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.