Need to flush my 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need to flush my 4.0

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
rocky_lange
2001 WJ 

Need to flush my 4.0

What brand of flush works best? Are there certain types or chemicals I need to avoid due to aluminum parts?

I am starting to see temps rising as of late and my girlfriend had it yesterday and overheated it blowing the crappy plastic radiator side tank. I'm going to replace the thermostat and probably give Griffin Rad a call.

rocky_lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

I used amsoil engine flush on my 4.7, but its hard to get. I've got a Napa in town that sells amsoil products, but I still had to pay a lot for the shipping because they would only buy it in bulk
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Why doou think you need to flush the system? Just because it over heated doesn't mean there is a blockage. It was most likely a bad thermostat or something. I would replace the thermostat with the radiator and drain and refill all the coolant. It should be fine just doing that.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
rocky_lange
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Why doou think you need to flush the system? Just because it over heated doesn't mean there is a blockage. It was most likely a bad thermostat or something. I would replace the thermostat with the radiator and drain and refill all the coolant. It should be fine just doing that.
Because some idiot ran non HOAT coolant in it. It runs fine for a while, comes up to temp and levels off for a while, then it creaps up. If going slow or stopped it spikes.
rocky_lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky_lange View Post
Because some idiot ran non HOAT coolant in it. It runs fine for a while, comes up to temp and levels off for a while, then it creaps up. If going slow or stopped it spikes.
I would just "flush" it with water. Do a few drain and refills with just water until no coolant comes out any more. Used distilled water bought from the store.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

See, I wish I new you were talking about your cooling system
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
I would just "flush" it with water. Do a few drain and refills with just water until no coolant comes out any more. Used distilled water bought from the store.
Exactly, use distilled water. Mixing coolant types is bad. Replace your radiator and thermostat and might as well do the hoses, too. Fill, run, and drain it three to five times. Good luck.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

I would do water pump too.
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.