Need advice on thrown rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need advice on thrown rod

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
blakeallan

Need advice on thrown rod

I recently threw a rod in my 2000 grand cherokee. I have a 4.7 v8 and the incident left me with a hole in the bottom of my block. The question i have now, as information is hard to find on this topic, is what my jeep is worth to a 3rd party as a whole or part out. I know a person who might be interested despite the blown engine. Secondly how much would i be looking at if i choose to purchase a new motor and have it installed? The jeep has around 150,000 miles and, aside from the motor, is in great condition and also has a 2" bb and Maxxis Bighorn M/T's. Thank you in advance, all responses are highly appreciated.

blakeallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
jomps

i bought a 2000 xj with around 120,000 that threw a rod: had hole the size of a racquet ball in block and multiple holes in the oil pan for 600...put in another engine and swapped out from auto to manual tranny...im happy and i think the seller was too>the jeep had been through a small wreck and was three different colors and that affected the value but not many people are going to buy a vehicle with a blown engine unless they can save enormously from it or its not worth it... look for a used motor or see if autozone or an oreillys type place has a reman for sale, then put it in yourself...
jomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think it would be worth it to you to get a used engine from a junk yard, probably less then $1500.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Hey Blak, can you give any additional details on that thing throwing a rod?

Had it spun a bearing prior to that? Run w/ no oil? Got hot ever?

At 150K it's a lot of miles, but many have a lot more and I don't see a rash of posts of these 4.7s going nuclear internally. Can you give details on what may have led to the failure?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.