Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need advice on NV247 output shaft play

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sqeeek 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I've been chasing a rear-end vibration since I got this thing. There's a ton of play in the rear output shaft, and I'm 90% sure that's what's causing it.

There are one or two threads on here where someone has this issue and it seems like they just swap it for a 231. But I'm low on money (just bought a house) so I'd like to attempt to fix it. Anyone know the insides of the NV247? Is it something as simple as a bearing, or is it going to be something more involved? Is there anything I should know before I go start tearing it apart?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks - figured as much. Kolak is awesome and found a cheap bearing for me, I'll keep you posted on how the replacement goes.

I like the 242 a lot better and we plan on going that route eventually, but I've hit the top of my budget with all the other crap this thing needs so I figured I'd try the replacement route. Sounds like I should take some pictures for the next guy.

#5 ·
Wanted to update for anyone else chasing this problem - turned out my slip yoke was actually loose. Bought an old driveshaft on eBay and slapped it in, 70mph vibration gone immediately. I was wrong about the output shaft play, output shaft is fine.

#6 ·
sqeeek said:
Wanted to update for anyone else chasing this problem - turned out my slip yoke was actually loose. Bought an old driveshaft on eBay and slapped it in, 70mph vibration gone immediately. I was wrong about the output shaft play, output shaft is fine.
How excatly was yours loose? I've got vibes, I believe are coming from the rear as well, the other day while laying under the jeep I was wiggling the rear ds up and down, and there a slight knock, that seems to come from where the ds is in the tail cone on the tcase. I was thinking it's the output bearing for the tcase as well.
How did you figure out your slip yoke was loose?
Thanks

If it ain't broke.....Try to break it.....And if it breaks.....Then fix it to where it don't break no more

#7 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply. Hopefully by now you've figured it out, but for anyone else - I got under there and yanked at the driveshaft at the transfer case end. I was able to see and feel visible up/down/side to side play, it would clunk under my hand right up by the transfer case. The splines in the slip yoke on my driveshaft were worn down.

I ended up buying the cheapest compatible driveshaft I could find on ebay. I think I paid $40 for it. Just have to make sure the yoke is the same, I can't remember exactly but there are a few different versions. Mine came off of a 4.0 but fits my 4.7 Overland just fine somehow. Somewhat smaller than the stock driveshaft, so I probably should fix the old one or get a new slip yoke put on it at some point, but whatever.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.