Need advice: looking at a WJ to buy, trying to clarify issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need advice: looking at a WJ to buy, trying to clarify issues

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
DirtDodd
1999 WJ 

Question Need advice: looking at a WJ to buy, trying to clarify issues

Hey Guys,
I'm looking at buying a buddy's WJ, but it has some issues that are concerning me bc I'm not sure what they indicate exactly, if anything, and I've read the buyer's guide (good stuff!), as well as a few other threads, so now turning to the experts for help! I'm new to the WJ, have only owned XJs and ZJs with the 4.0L.

It's a 1999 Limited 4.7L with Quadra-drive. 127,000 miles, runs great, shifts smooth, 4wd operating perfectly, and body and interior in great shape. Here are the issues:

Main one - lots of transmission fluid on the bottom of the pan of the transmission. Wet on the sides of the transmission, even above the pan gasket. What are the possible culprits? Overfilled? Bad pan gasket (hasn't been serviced as far as he knows)? Something going wrong internally and losing fluid out the vent? He was surprised by it, and the jeep sits in his garage almost all the time now, with no drip spots or puddles...?

Upper radiator hose very hard when at operating temperature. Very hot, and can't squeeze it in any at all it's so stiff. Softer and reasonably pliable once the engine has been shut off for several minutes. Also, while running, the radiator is very hot on the return side (upper hose), and just warm on the other side, as well as the lower hose on that side is much cooler. Engine is not overheating, stays right on the 210 indicator, but the temperature of the heater never reached "run you out of the car" hot...? Oh, and the coolant is the wrong color - GREEN! Been that way a little over a year... Is all this typical and I'm just reading into it too much? Almost seems like a clogged radiator to me, and I sure don't want to end up with overheating issues with this motor!

Cruise control not working, but neither is the horn button on the steering wheel? Could it be in the wiring or switches on the wheel, or is it most likely a vacuum leak somewhere?

And lastly, A/C not working. Low freon, bc he said he has had freon added to it and it worked before, plus I jumper wired the pressure switch and it engaged the compressor cluth and started running. I'm wondering where these systems typically leak, so I could start there? Didn't see any oily residue on top of the compressor where the lines attached, but didn't really have time to check anywhere else.

Thanks guys! I appreciate any and all input, that way I can cover all options and possibilities! And one thing is for sure after driving it, shoulda had a V8 a long time ago! lol

DirtDodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Are you sure it's tranny fluid and not oil being blown back? Either way, if the fluid level is alright, I would just clean it up and change the pan gasket and filters.

I'll let others comment on that other stuff. Hard to type on my phone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Vaporhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
DirtDodd
1999 WJ 

Yeah, it's red, and covers the entire bottom of the transmission pan. The motor itself is pretty clean, with a slight wetness around the drain plug and the bottom of the bellhousing, which seems very typical to me for 14 year old vehicles. Thanks for the input!
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
DirtDodd
1999 WJ 

Update: He took the jeep to a transmission shop yesterday, and they took a look at it, and simply told him they couldn't find anything wrong with it, but couldn't suggest where they thought the fluid had come from, either,....? It has sat a lot over the last year, so could it simpy be the pan gasket seeping fluid?
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
djpeters
2004 WJ 

My trans pan was rusted so thin that fluid was seeping THROUGH it.....
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
eajones_01WJ
2001 WJ 

ive heard of 2 reason this might happen if it not coming from a seal/oring/gasket. if its coming down from the top of the transmission then it might be coming form the vent tube and if thats the case then i can think of two reasons. one is that the transmission was overfilled which it doesn't sound like thats the case. 2nd is there was/is a clog in the transmission forcing fluid out the vent.
eajones_01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDodd View Post
Hey Guys, I'm looking at buying a buddy's WJ, but it has some issues that are concerning me bc I'm not sure what they indicate exactly, if anything, and I've read the buyer's guide (good stuff!), as well as a few other threads, so now turning to the experts for help! I'm new to the WJ, have only owned XJs and ZJs with the 4.0L. It's a 1999 Limited 4.7L with Quadra-drive. 127,000 miles, runs great, shifts smooth, 4wd operating perfectly, and body and interior in great shape. Here are the issues: Main one - lots of transmission fluid on the bottom of the pan of the transmission. Wet on the sides of the transmission, even above the pan gasket. What are the possible culprits? Overfilled? Bad pan gasket (hasn't been serviced as far as he knows)? Something going wrong internally and losing fluid out the vent? He was surprised by it, and the jeep sits in his garage almost all the time now, with no drip spots or puddles...? Upper radiator hose very hard when at operating temperature. Very hot, and can't squeeze it in any at all it's so stiff. Softer and reasonably pliable once the engine has been shut off for several minutes. Also, while running, the radiator is very hot on the return side (upper hose), and just warm on the other side, as well as the lower hose on that side is much cooler. Engine is not overheating, stays right on the 210 indicator, but the temperature of the heater never reached "run you out of the car" hot...? Oh, and the coolant is the wrong color - GREEN! Been that way a little over a year... Is all this typical and I'm just reading into it too much? Almost seems like a clogged radiator to me, and I sure don't want to end up with overheating issues with this motor! Cruise control not working, but neither is the horn button on the steering wheel? Could it be in the wiring or switches on the wheel, or is it most likely a vacuum leak somewhere? And lastly, A/C not working. Low freon, bc he said he has had freon added to it and it worked before, plus I jumper wired the pressure switch and it engaged the compressor cluth and started running. I'm wondering where these systems typically leak, so I could start there? Didn't see any oily residue on top of the compressor where the lines attached, but didn't really have time to check anywhere else. Thanks guys! I appreciate any and all input, that way I can cover all options and possibilities! And one thing is for sure after driving it, shoulda had a V8 a long time ago! lol
Need to change the coolant and flush out your heater core. I sounds like it might be clogged up. Th green coolant can eat away at the water pump impeller blades, if left in there very long.

Cruise control, horn not working sounds like a bad clock-spring.

Sounds like your AC has a leak. Put dye in it and try to detect where it is leaking. Most likely condenser, or the AC lines.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

From WJjeeps.com:

The recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water. Never use pure antifreeze.
Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water. Note: Antifreeze mixture must always be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is provided with a 68% mixture protection.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
losttech

2000 WJ 

The horn and cruise is almost certainly a clock spring as someone mentioned.
About a 60$ fix if you do it yourself.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
DirtDodd
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the input everyone! I've been reading as much as I can over at WJJeeps.com, so I think I have a pretty good handle on everything I should do to it if I buy it, so I'm formulating a game plan.

Thanks again! And I'll have to look into that clock spring to understand what yall are talking about, I haven't researched that yet.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.