nav system question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > nav system question

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

nav system question

What is the largest nav system that I can install that won't involve me to make a custom mount?

BrianBSHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Looks like you can fit a 1.5 din in the factory. That would fit one of the fold out touch screen dvd bluetooth navs that are pretty expensive. It also says you can mod the mount to fit a double din http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...le-din-717205/. If you have the money ~$700, I'd say put the single din fold out unit.
gtg413i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

or get an rb1
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

I was thinking about an rb1 but I think that there are better systems out there.
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

Most of the double-dins will require you to make varying stages of modifications but they will all require some cutting. Something like the Pioneer Appradio simply will not fit due to the 7+" depth. My AVIC-x930bt barely clears the back of the area and I had to cut considerably to get it in. I think JVC makes one in a single din but I don't recall if it's Navigation or just DVD/Video capable. The rb1 should fit without much modification but most of the options I looked into required at least some fabrication or ~$150 investment to buy the clips and new faceplate. I bought a spare stock radio cover off ebay from a base model (without the wood), used a dremel to cut it down, filled in the space on the sides with a box I cut up and eventually covered it with carbon fibre material.

If you're handy at all it really isn't that hard to modify, especially since some place is making the double-din faceplates now and the clips to hold the radio in place. The cutting doesn't even have to be very precise or exact to be honest just close since you're putting a cover over it.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Is there any other factory nav system that would be better than the rb1? Perhaps another model that Jeep made that would still fit, but has more features or is easier to use?
Unread 12-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

I ended up getting one and it has its limits for sure but for me I am happy with it. One huge factor is that I don't think its that likely to be stolen since its a stock system. It also works with the factory steering wheel controls and I run mine with an ipod adapter and it gives me song info and the ability to play artist, album, etc. thje only thing I really dont like about it is the color of the screen on the ipod page is blue when all the rest of the lights in a WJ are green including the stereo. the aftermarket sytems with Nav and adapters for the steering wheel controls are like double the price so I would probably still do it.
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by =KZ=
I ended up getting one and it has its limits for sure but for me I am happy with it. One huge factor is that I don't think its that likely to be stolen since its a stock system. It also works with the factory steering wheel controls and I run mine with an ipod adapter and it gives me song info and the ability to play artist, album, etc. thje only thing I really dont like about it is the color of the screen on the ipod page is blue when all the rest of the lights in a WJ are green including the stereo. the aftermarket sytems with Nav and adapters for the steering wheel controls are like double the price so I would probably still do it.
What system did you get?

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
cbeck
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by =KZ= View Post
It also works with the factory steering wheel controls and I run mine with an ipod adapter and it gives me song info and the ability to play artist, album, etc.
Which iPod adapter did you use with the RB1?
cbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
JeepAMG
1999 WJ 

+1 on the ipod adapter?
JeepAMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

I used the actual mopar one off ebay, the wired one not fm one, I have old school high end amps so fm is not really what I was looking for. The only thing you have to watch out for is that it doesn't work with newer ipods. I got a 3rd gen 8g nano works great 4th gen wont charge but works otherwise. It is digital quality.

heres the adapter which they call a integration kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Integration-kit-Dodge-Jeep-Chrysler-Mopar-82209616-/360419144091?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item5 3eaa7b19b

and I installed it just like this

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemi d=94

Had an ipod touch which worked well but would completely freeze the stereo up after about a week which would require disconnecting the actual unit to reboot it fix, so I sold it and bought a used nano and I use it as a permanent part of the stereo. I have another mp3 player for the gym.

It was all told a little pricey for old technology but my wj is old too , and compared to the 1000- 1500 dollar 7" nav systems with 150 dollar adapters for steering wheel control and then having to mod the dash for the double din blah blah its fairly simple. and it doesnt look cheese Dick ricer
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
utekking
2004 WJ 

I am going to be selling my RB1 in a few days. Will have the data cable, 2010 disc and the antenna. I dont use the nav at all so no real sense on keeping it. I havent decided on a price yet....
utekking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Well unless the prices really good I don't think I'm going to be Gettig the rbi then. I'm not selling my 4s to use my headunit. I'll have to figure something out, maybe the rb1 is the easiest choice, but I'll have to keep looking
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

Is the RB1's NAV decent? I use my Garmin several times a week and its current in device and maps. I just hate the window mounting and removal hassle. Are the update maps expensive for this RB1?
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

someone should make a neat little box that will hard mount popular nav systems right to the top of the dash. that would be great!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.