Mysterious Coolant leak 4.7..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mysterious Coolant leak 4.7.....

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Wj Mysterious Coolant leak 4.7.....

I can't figure this out.. help.

I replaced my rad about 6 months ago, did a major coolant flush and switched to HOAT Mopar.

In those 6 months, my level in the overflow bottle has gone down about 1/4 inch... maybe? Yet when I went to change my oil last week, I noticed two very small pink drips on the bottom of my oil filter...

I checked the upper rad hose, bleed plug, rad, everything... I can find no evidence of a leak whatsoever. I wiped it down, drove around and went underneath the Jeep after about 20 mins on the HWY. Those tiny drips were back on the oil filter....

I wiped it down again, then went underneath with the motor running at operating temp and spent some time under there with a flashlight.... nothing.

I let it sit overnight, and just went under there again... nothing.

Does anyone have an idea where it's coming from?

My flash whited out the colour and one of the drips (I'll take a better pic next time), but the circled area is where they appear...

coolant.jpg

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
AndyL
2000 WJ 

waterpump? weephole?
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
waterpump? weephole?
Oops, yep, forgot to add that there is nothing coming from the weep hole. I had the belt off and checked for play or anything strange with the waterpump. Spun smooth and seems fine to me.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Pressure test the system. That will tell you where the leak is.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Ahhhh yes, I've never had to, or done that before. Just looked it up on YouTube, looks pretty simple. I'm out in the boonies so I'll have to see if I can get the tool or borrow one from somewhere eventually.... but if anyone has had the same leak show up, feel free to post what they found. Thanks all.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
X2 its your best bet, either coolant will start dripping out or you'll hear the leak
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWJ View Post
X2 its your best bet, either coolant will start dripping out or you'll hear the leak
I hope so.... it's so F'd, I drove around a bunch today, got underneath and.... NOTHING... no drip, nada... dry as a bone....

It took 6 months for the level in the reservoir to drop so insignificantly I can hardly tell it's down.... ah well, I'll keep looking and try to get that tester.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Well I bought a pressure tester. My old rad cap was 21 lbs, I bought a new one that's 20 lbs... guy at the parts shop said that's what was called for in the 4.7

I put that cap on about 4 months ago, does it matter that it's 1 lb less than the old one?

Anyway, what pressure should I test at? 20lbs?
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
metalhead
2000 WJ 

pump up the tester to 20lbs and look for leaks.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

AHA! I guess being obsessed with the well being of my 4.7 has it merits. I'm pretty much under my Jeep after every trip I take to check things out.

Anyway, I left the pressure tester pumped up for 5 hrs and it never dropped pressure, BUT there was a miniscule leak at the top of the water pump and a bitty one at the bottom. Just enough that one single drip would form, go around to the bottom of crankshaft damper... then fling over to my oil filter on start up... bingo. Water pump gasket. That would explain why after 6 months my reservoir dropped only a miniscule amount.

I plan on removing my alternator to make getting the pump off easier. There's also this bolt that sticks out between the AC compressor and the alternator... can I remove it too?
bolt-.jpg  
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
65Mustangs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie500LTD
I plan on removing my alternator to make getting the pump off easier. There's also this bolt that sticks out between the AC compressor and the alternator... can I remove it too?
That stud is part of the bolt pattern that holds on the timing chain cover (as well as a couple of the water pump bolts). You can remove it, but if I recall correctly you should use thread sealer on it when you put it back. It gets tightened to 40 ftlbs.

When I did my rebuild, I put sealer on all the bolts for the water pump and timing cover just because I had it, and it doesn't hurt.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mustangs View Post
That stud is part of the bolt pattern that holds on the timing chain cover (as well as a couple of the water pump bolts). You can remove it, but if I recall correctly you should use thread sealer on it when you put it back. It gets tightened to 40 ftlbs.

When I did my rebuild, I put sealer on all the bolts for the water pump and timing cover just because I had it, and it doesn't hurt.

Good Luck!
Thanks man!

PS I've got a 66 Ford Galaxie. Those old Fords are TOUGH. My old 390 purrs like a kitten.. but can also GROWL when I want it too
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

How many miles on your 4.7 and have you ever done the water pump?

Ah, the old FE Ford big block, had a 360 in a 69 Ford F100. Slapped a 4 barrel manifold with a Holley 750CM double pumper and headers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie500LTD View Post
Thanks man!

PS I've got a 66 Ford Galaxie. Those old Fords are TOUGH. My old 390 purrs like a kitten.. but can also GROWL when I want it too
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.