My WJ tire carrier build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My WJ tire carrier build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #121
MoabWJ
1999 WJ 

There's a 4x4 shop in Delta, CO. I'm blanking on the name... Gotta look it up...

Unread 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #122
MoabWJ
1999 WJ 

M.O.R.E.
Mountain Off Road. They have a website
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #123
JL719

Thank you. I'll send them an email and see if they'd be willing to do some WJ fabrication.
JL719 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #124
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

so i finished my carrier, turned out good, was able to take lot of ideas from your pics, if i could redo it i would change some things but overall its pretty good, my only problem now is i used a piece of round bar for a pin to keep it shut similar to yours, i spring loaded it and used some rubber grommets but i still get alot of clunking and rattling when hitting bumps in the road, do you have this issue and if so what did you do about it
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #125
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

No pics? Lets see the thing in action. I realized today there are no videos of a WJ tire carrier in action, at least that I can find

silentbob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #126
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL719 View Post
Thank you. I'll send them an email and see if they'd be willing to do some WJ fabrication.
Hawk Industries in Loveland does great work. His name is Tyler. Not exactly what these other guys are doing, but still good. Charged me ~$150 for this:

Welded to hitch and swings down, not away. I have more pictures if you're interested.
043.jpg  
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #127
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Very good job on that tire carrier, looks really sleek!

I like that idea of simplicity to have it welded to the hitch.. how sturdy is it?
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #128
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaaipdeOiad View Post
I didn't like the red at first but it grew on me.

Take that!
wj-6.jpg  
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #129
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaaipdeOiad View Post
I didn't like the red at first but it grew on me.

Take that! I think this one is taller than you are.
wj-6.jpg  
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #130
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWJ View Post
Very good job on that tire carrier, looks really sleek!

I like that idea of simplicity to have it welded to the hitch.. how sturdy is it?
Haha total thread hijack! I have a thread of my own if you want more pictures... info, etc. But it's great. Very sturdy. A little inconvenient, as I access my cargo area frequently, but better than the roof. For $150, I don't mind a little hassle, and my gurl be luvin my ripped biceps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rrier-1477476/
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #131
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
Haha total thread hijack! I have a thread of my own if you want more pictures... info, etc. But it's great. Very sturdy. A little inconvenient, as I access my cargo area frequently, but better than the roof. For $150, I don't mind a little hassle, and my gurl be luvin my ripped biceps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rrier-1477476/
No fun if you dont jack it.. get it.. ha! Ok proceed
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #132
JL719

This is great stuff!

Brianestep: I like the one that mounts in the receiver hitch but I use that for other things like a small trailer I take with me when camping, fishing and as a winch point for the winch on a receiver plate.

If you wouldn't mind though, could you pass me the information for that fab shop via PM? I am exchanging email right now with a shop in Fort Collins. I showed them this thread as well as another. Hopefully there is no confusion as to what I want. This contact looks to be good because right off the bat he asks me which is more important: Accessing the glass hatch when the carrier is closed or angle for wheeling.

Again to the original poster: I apologize for hijacking your thread but it will help future searches if it's all in one thread and I really appreciate any and all information the responders are giving me!
JL719 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #133
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL719 View Post
This is great stuff!

Brianestep: I like the one that mounts in the receiver hitch but I use that for other things like a small trailer I take with me when camping, fishing and as a winch point for the winch on a receiver plate.

If you wouldn't mind though, could you pass me the information for that fab shop via PM? I am exchanging email right now with a shop in Fort Collins. I showed them this thread as well as another. Hopefully there is no confusion as to what I want. This contact looks to be good because right off the bat he asks me which is more important: Accessing the glass hatch when the carrier is closed or angle for wheeling.

Again to the original poster: I apologize for hijacking your thread but it will help future searches if it's all in one thread and I really appreciate any and all information the responders are giving me!
Yea no problem. If you check out the link in my post above, it does not insert into the receiver itself. It is welded to the hitch tubing. The receiver is still accessible, as I tow, winch etc. Departure angle is not hampered, and I still have exactly enough room to access the glass hatch, although I NEVER do that. I'll PM that info now.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #134
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

As the OP i could careless that it got hijacked... it ends up helping everyone in the end. As far as clunks i havent had any from the carrier. my pin is very tight, i even soak it in used motor oil every few changes.
For a video, what do you want to see? it opens like any door you have ever operated haha.
Eventually i plan to add on hi-lift,shovel,axe, and maybe a snowboard mount but may just save that for the roof basket
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #135
FULLJEEP
2004 WJ 

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyhasadd2 View Post
Finally got it finished up

if people are still interested in dimensions let me know and ill post that
I am builkdkng my own tire carrier using the hitch, but seeing yours, looks real good,

Dont understand where u attached the hinge ont he hitch structure?
FULLJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.