JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   My WJ tire carrier build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-wj-tire-carrier-build-1336339/)

thisguyhasadd2 02-29-2012 08:28 PM

My WJ tire carrier build

Finally at the stage where i need to start my "project" for my welding fabrication course for my construction major at CSU

For the build i am getting most of my ideas from JCDRILLERS http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-my-wj-937129/ build. I want to keep it clean with the stock bumper and also by keeping the stock bumper i can hide majority of the welds since im not the best at it.

I'll update this with everything required to build what ever i end up making especially since i hate reading threads that don't deliver ( i suck at skimming and read everything). It will be a week before i go get steel and start the actual fabrication so i wanted to get as much input as possible.

I don't think ill make many trips up to the mountains to go camping and wheeling without my POS dirtbike. Would it be possible to incorporate hinge style carrier with fold down that would allow me to create a cargo carrier that would also carry my bike?

Like i said design phase on something that will actually happen so input please!

mycreativename 02-29-2012 08:36 PM

You opposed to using the rear hitch as a way to carry the bike? I was thinking as reading that, that maybe you could incorporate the use of both the rear hitch (for carrying the weight of the bike) and the tire carrier (or at least the inside the bumper frame of it) for stability.

thisguyhasadd2 02-29-2012 09:45 PM

i would really like to keep it as close to JCdrillers build but modify it if i can for the dirt bike idea. The other mod im going to add to it somewhere is a place to attached a snowboard or two, or maybe four. Been drinking a little bit and might have the thinking cap on too tight to be realistic though.

mycreativename 02-29-2012 10:05 PM

I gotta ask, why wouldn't you just put the snowboards on the roof? It would seem to me that putting them on the back would be a bad idea, as they would stick out either side (or top and bottom if you went vertically with the mounting). Also your boards would be constantly subjected to all the crap that gets vortexed up to the tailgate when driving. At least with my WJ, a quick drive down the road gets the back filthy.

And I don't think you would have to change the design too much for what I was saying. All I was suggesting was a sort of track with a loop over the tire (to stop the bike from falling over), similar to what bikes in a store would be in, just more heavy duty. Have that mounted into the trailer hitch with most of the weight being held by the receiver, and then modify the tire holder to stabilize the load in the hitch (restrain the torsional forces on the 2" tube in the receiver). I can't think of any feasible way to mount the bike on the tire holder itself, but that seems to be what you are thinking of. I can't see that one joint being able to support all the weight of the bike, the tire and the metal on the carrier.

silentbob21 03-01-2012 06:11 AM

subscribed

thisguyhasadd2 03-01-2012 09:57 AM

I've got class today 1-340, gotta finish up the hammer i machined and mount it to the handle,build a dust pan, pass my stick weld inspections, then i will have some time to find out if its possible to build my idea.

As for the hinge i want to order that asap, is the A to Z fab hinge the best deal?

thisguyhasadd2 03-11-2012 05:47 PM

Alright, time to start doing something for spring break other than :cheers2:...
I went up to harbor freight today and picked up a cutoff wheel and 9.99$ 4 1/2" grinder, sidewalk sale woo hoo

I don't have class again for a week so i decided to start choppin up the rear bumper metal so that i can get my mounts and lower support rigged up. I was reading that JCdriller attached his mounts to his hitch, i have a factory hitch and am planning to do it the same way. Little worried about welding near the gas tank though its probably safe. Also need to order my hinge soon, any recommendations?
I'll take some pictures of todays "work"

rickcricket 03-11-2012 05:52 PM

I will be doing the same thing soon. If I decide to drop the tank, I will probably just do the tank rink while I am at it.

ezflip 03-11-2012 06:20 PM

:PopCorn:

thisguyhasadd2 03-11-2012 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
all that popcorn your going to need a drink

instead of the rear carrier i think ill just stop here with my 2x4 wood bumper, maybe ill make a pvc carrier later.

rickcricket 03-11-2012 07:32 PM

As long as its for looks. Just get some big hose clamps to mount the spare somewhere.

MEinSoCal 03-11-2012 09:44 PM

how about a PVC tire carrier and bumper?

nor7cal7 03-11-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEinSoCal
how about a PVC tire carrier and bumper?

Haha that Is never going to get old

thisguyhasadd2 03-13-2012 03:22 PM

I think im going to use some 2x2x(1/4 or bigger) angle iron for the mounts. I will then use bolts to mount the angle to the trailer hitch and gas skids, i could weld the angle to the factory hitch too. Would angle iron be a strong enough mount?
picked up 2x2x3/8 super beefy should have gone 5/16

thisguyhasadd2 03-13-2012 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today i picked up the angle iron 2x2x3/8 and notched it out to fit into the factory trailer hitch (harbor freight angle grinder working well). I still need to mark the holes to drill and pick up slight larger m12 bolts. I think the bolts would shear out before the angle bends.
Also realized how nasty the welds are on the hitch. Also one angle is shorter so that it wont hit the fuel filler hose.

The time now is 05:14 AM.