My WJ Hidden Winch Plate - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My WJ Hidden Winch Plate

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #76
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
All I got to do is put it up to the jeep and mark the bolt holes and make the backing plates. But since that involves working outside and its hovering around 20F outside I have been procrastinating. Supposed to jump up to the 40s next week.
A whole 40 degrees....wow...out with the Hawian shorts for you! Dont blame you for not working outside at 20..I think twice about it when it goes BELOW 40! Over here winter seems to have been delayed...still getting to 50 (10C) most days! Prob means it will be bad when it comes.

Unread 01-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #77
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I am looking at doing this to mine since all the bumpers I like are not avail... plus the $$ and the added 100#

So far as the clutch handle, look at the push/pull battery disconnects us race car guys use on the trunks.
Simple heim and rod with T-handle you could run where you need it without cutting up the grill.

gcjeeping, have you mocked up the grill and bumper cover to see if it clears? I am thinking run the winch upside down, and mount the control box on top of the plate.. I can't see any of your pics as PB is blocked over here on the rig.

I also plan to bend up some roll cage pipe and make a cradle around the radiator support, and tie it back up to the front of the winch plate behind the bumper cover. More strength plus save the radiator from bashing on rocks....
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #78
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Waiting on the weather to warm up a little to finish it up.

Making a lever to actuate the handle would depend on which winch you get and how the lever is placed.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #79
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

any updates? Hows the weather out there? im guessing its still too cold for any progress.. ive been wanting to start my own but I havent seen temps above freezing in over 2 months now.
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #80
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

No updates. Its to the point of bolting in. I just dont have a good subject test at this time or a winch to test it on. Wish some one here in Ohio would want to be a Guinea pig and get it cheap.
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #81
wickedwj99
1999 WJ 

ship it to me in hawaii and i will try it out for you and i would even send you a hula doll to sit in your dub with you! till i send it back that is.
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #82
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

The only thing that worrying me is what size bolts to use....bigger the better I guess! Since I want to put a 9000lb plus winch on it, I want to make sure it does not tear the whole lot straight through the front bumpers the first time I use it! Even the factory box section its bolting to is not that thick. My design keeps my welds to the minimum.... so that one less thing to worry about! Quarter inch plate and eight half inch bolts, along with welding to the box rails should be ok I guess.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using JeepForum
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #83
texlurch
2002 WJ 

If you are bolting it on, use some L-plates inside the frame, to attach to the stock tow hook point, and the sides. If welding, use some plates to spread the load over a larger area, and add a few bolts on each side if possible, back into the factory tow points.
The more area you can spread the load over, the better.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #84
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
If you are bolting it on, use some L-plates inside the frame, to attach to the stock tow hook point, and the sides. If welding, use some plates to spread the load over a larger area, and add a few bolts on each side if possible, back into the factory tow points.
The more area you can spread the load over, the better.
Im welding and bolting!!! No point messing about!
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #85
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Im welding and bolting!!! No point messing about!
Made any progress on it? Measured to see how it's gonna fit?

I am stuck at work for a couple more weeks then it will be hack and slash time!

I f-ked up and bought the winch before I thought it all thru, so mine will be mounted upside down (water tight winch so no biggie). Looks like best bet is to choose one with a detachable solenoid box to keep all options open.

But, upside down will put the hawse near the top of the bumper where I wanted it anyhow. Have a Limited bumper cover as well since my Laredo has the indented center.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #86
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Made any progress on it? Measured to see how it's gonna fit?

I am stuck at work for a couple more weeks then it will be hack and slash time!

I f-ked up and bought the winch before I thought it all thru, so mine will be mounted upside down (water tight winch so no biggie). Looks like best bet is to choose one with a detachable solenoid box to keep all options open.

But, upside down will put the hawse near the top of the bumper where I wanted it anyhow. Have a Limited bumper cover as well since my Laredo has the indented center.
I have the metal and I have my plans.....but what I never seem to have is any bloody time! 3 year old son sees to that! Im mounting upside down as suggested by gcjeeping above. The plate will be "on the top" of the rails with the winch in between them. I have an 04 LTD so the bumper is very open from underneath with none of the "teeth" of the earlier ones getting in the way. I thnk it will fit and I will be able to access the clutch handle with only a tiny amount of bumper cutting underneath where it cant be seen (unless Im running you over in which case a modded bumper id going to be the last of your worries!). I also have plans to extend the clutch handle to make it easier too.. One "minor" prob is that I have no winch at the moment. Keep missing them on eBay , mainly because Im tight with the cash!....but I will get the right deal eventually. The winch just needs to work...cosmetics dont matter on a hidden installation!. So until I get a winch and know the exact dimensions of it progress will be slow...just making the plate fit right at moment...but of course that means pulling the bumper every time I want to check something....more time wasted!. Will keep you informed when nearer completion. Im sure gcjeeping will beat me too it though and his fab skills look rather better than mine.....another reason for keeping my welding and shaping hidden under the bumper!
Also need to figure out what to do with my front number plate (required here) as the fairlead will be there and I think putting it on folding bracket over the fairlead will stick out to far and look crap.....Its not a problem...its an oportunity and a challenge haa haa ...I'll get there...eventually!
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #87
BigWheel7
1999 WJ 

I have a virgin jeep that would love it.
BigWheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #88
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Your 3 hours away. But if you want to make a road trip I'm game.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #89
mikeyvee
1999 WJ 

Quote:
No updates. Its to the point of bolting in. I just dont have a good subject test at this time or a winch to test it on. Wish some one here in Ohio would want to be a Guinea pig and get it cheap.
I just moved to Dayton and only live a few miles from you and I even have a maroon 99 WJ with a 4 inch lift. I think we should have a beer sometime and figure this out. I have a shop in Centerville we can work in so the weather won't be an issue.

Send me a PM when you have time.

Thanks,
mikeyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #90
BigWheel7
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Your 3 hours away. But if you want to make a road trip I'm game.
I would be game but i don't have a winch.
BigWheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.