My WJ Hidden Winch Plate - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My WJ Hidden Winch Plate

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #61
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Next question gcjeeping???!!!
What are you planning to do about the handle? I dont really want to cut the bumper too much like bphase has had to do and def not the grille (I have a LTD) and keeping it as hidden and std looking as poss seems the whole point. I have not bought a winch yet (and am no expert on them-just know I want 6000lb min, ideally 9000) and some Im looking at have no handle so I might be going that way but most of the used ones ive seen on the 'bay have handles that will hit the grille or come through the top of the bumper or both! Cant really see how they have done this at JWP on the original...no handle I guess?

Unread 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #62
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bphase View Post
Ok, so its together but I had to hack up the bumper and grill a lot to get it to work. I'll pick up another bumper and grill sometime and trim a little better but it doesn't look too bad.
It is definitely a start and aside from the "hack" job, as you called it, with the bumper trim it will now be much easier to further modify it. As GCJeeping put it, consider moving the solenoid box to a different location for a cleaner look.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #63
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Next question gcjeeping???!!!
What are you planning to do about the handle? I dont really want to cut the bumper too much like bphase has had to do and def not the grille (I have a LTD) and keeping it as hidden and std looking as poss seems the whole point. I have not bought a winch yet (and am no expert on them-just know I want 6000lb min, ideally 9000) and some Im looking at have no handle so I might be going that way but most of the used ones ive seen on the 'bay have handles that will hit the grille or come through the top of the bumper or both! Cant really see how they have done this at JWP on the original...no handle I guess?
The handle has been clocked down (rotating the end of the winch). Well I dont know about mine. The handle cant be clocked on mine. You may be able to on yours. You can see in the photos from the original one that we are all mimicking. It was a warn so that would be an option for you. You can see the end of the JWP Warn winch at the handle end has a bunch of screws that look like they can be removed and allow the end to turned to any position.

I was thinking that the plate could mount on top of the uniframe withe ends angled up to fit the contour. Then it could be bolted through the top and still the sides. And you could fab it to still bolt to the bottom too.

I have circled the handle that JWP did.

Here is what it might be done by flipping the plate so the handle is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
It is definitely a start and aside from the "hack" job, as you called it, with the bumper trim it will now be much easier to further modify it. As GCJeeping put it, consider moving the solenoid box to a different location for a cleaner look.
Also a Limited bumper will add an inch or so to the front allowing you not to have to cut the front of the Laredo bumper as much.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #64
Bphase
1999 WJ 

It looks like I can move the whole plate back toward the radiator about an inch. That'll make it fit behind the bumper better. But I don't want to hide it totally because I would need to see the drum when spooling it back in. I already used it and it works great. Aside from plugging in the cord but my wireless adapter is coming soon. Like I said, I will be picking up a bumper and grill from pick a part soon and redoing the trimming. I was thinking about hinging the grill to swing up to be able to get to the handle and solenoid box and junk.
Bphase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #65
Bphase
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
The handle has been clocked down (rotating the end of the winch). Well I dont know about mine. The handle cant be clocked on mine. You may be able to on yours. You can see in the photos from the original one that we are all mimicking. It was a warn so that would be an option for you. You can see the end of the JWP Warn winch at the handle end has a bunch of screws that look like they can be removed and allow the end to turned to any position.

I was thinking that the plate could mount on top of the uniframe withe ends angled up to fit the contour. Then it could be bolted through the top and still the sides. And you could fab it to still bolt to the bottom too.

I have circled the handle that JWP did.

Here is what it might be done by flipping the plate so the handle is down

Also a Limited bumper will add an inch or so to the front allowing you not to have to cut the front of the Laredo bumper as much.
Also I like these ideas.
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #66
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Thanks again.....I really like the idea of mounting it under the tray and making the tray level with the top of the frame rails. I can see a few advantages to that..... much easiest handle access, less radiator air flow obstruction, keeping the weight lower, less visible cable routing. I think that having measured a bit more accurately today I would also be able to keep my mopar bar too. One of the Land Rover mounting trays I have found is only half an inch narrower than the rail gap too..... nothing that a couple of quarter inch spacer plates can't cure. Just got to get some winch dimensions now to make sure I can squeeze it all in.... and then find a good used one that will do the job..... as always in trying to do this on a tight budget having just had to blow 500 ish on a set of five ATs for the old girl. Time for me to stop talking and start fabbIng! But not right now as its gone midnight here! Thanks again for the info.
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #67
bradywgn71
2002 WJ 

I like this version from Saguaro 4x Components, LLC for the WK that mounts the winch with the foot forward. I'm going to try this method on my WJ when I build mine. http://www.saguaro4xcomponents.com/i...ul4kog537omb45
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #68
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

can the factory front skid plate be retained with this setup?
=KZ= is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #69
Starboard M

Glad to see people cutting up the WJs!

I did something similar to my XJ.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...2-0-a-1090869/

Granted mine was welded on...

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #70
bradywgn71
2002 WJ 

I would think so since the factory front skid mounts behind the radiator support.
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #71
Bphase
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by =KZ= View Post
can the factory front skid plate be retained with this setup?
I can say for certain, yes it can.
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #72
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywgn71 View Post
I like this version from Saguaro 4x Components, LLC for the WK that mounts the winch with the foot forward. I'm going to try this method on my WJ when I build mine. http://www.saguaro4xcomponents.com/i...ul4kog537omb45
That is nice. The only problems I see it it will be very tall in the front for the bumper cover and the handle will hit the rad and you won't be able to get ur hand behind to use it.
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #73
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
That is nice. The only problems I see it it will be very tall in the front for the bumper cover and the handle will hit the rad and you won't be able to get ur hand behind to use it.
Other than that lot its ideal.......Hee hee!
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #74
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

gcjeeping

Hows it going....got any further? Im still looking at winches but as soon as Ive found one I will be getting on with the hidden mount.
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #75
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

All I got to do is put it up to the jeep and mark the bolt holes and make the backing plates. But since that involves working outside and its hovering around 20F outside I have been procrastinating. Supposed to jump up to the 40s next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.