My WJ half door Pics - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My WJ half door Pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #46
uniquevibez
1994 ZJ 

What did you use for the hinges? And also how'd you get the handles to work on the half doors?

Thinkin of doin this to my ZJ cause I love the idea an if I have the money is fly u out to RI an have u do it lol but ur jeep looks awesome man keep up the good work

uniquevibez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #47
woodst0ck
1994 ZJ 

that so damn cool!
woodst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #48
WJWarrior
2002 WJ 

Dude you have everybody raving about your WJ. I saw your post in the "$100 mod" thread and was saying thats the sickest WJ I've ever seen. Your OBA system is totally awesome and the doors are obviously awesome. I've been looking to coat my cladding. You said you used Krylon paint is that right? I did some research and found they have a product specifically for painting plastic. Is that what you used, and how is it holding up to wear? Thanks for all the detailed photographs too. Everybody loves to see the goods.
WJWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #49
jmccallie99wj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
wow...I clicked on this link thinking that it was going to look like crap, and actually, it looks really good. I wish I had an extra set of WJ doors to play with......
X2, I clicked on the post out of curiosity but also thought it would be a hack job. LOOKS GREAT!!! nice work
jmccallie99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #50
heretolearn
2002 WJ 

You should think about making these and selling to guys on the forum
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #51
moPowered

The question is.......do you use the door locks??? lol
moPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #52
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquevibez View Post
What did you use for the hinges? And also how'd you get the handles to work on the half doors?

Thinkin of doin this to my ZJ cause I love the idea an if I have the money is fly u out to RI an have u do it lol but ur jeep looks awesome man keep up the good work
The original hinge halves are on the jeep and the original doors. The half doors have their half hinges also.

Yes I drilled and punched out the hinge pins in both sets of hinges. I actually just cut the pin in half with a cut-off wheel and used a chisel to spread the two halves and then tapped them out with a drift. I only had to drill the half of hinge on the jeep to fit the wire clip pin. The door half was good. The new pins are not a tight fit because it was too hard to get the pins in and out. I used metric bolts first which fit perfect but were really hard to get aligned and be able to get in and out.

The handles are late Cherokee interior handles. I just got some coat hangers and did trial and error bending them until everything was right. Then I bent the original connecting rods to the hanger shape and they worked perfect, handle and locks both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodst0ck View Post
that so damn cool!
Thanks. Love cutting and hacking on my jeep. Thinking of different things to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWarrior View Post
Dude you have everybody raving about your WJ. I saw your post in the "$100 mod" thread and was saying thats the sickest WJ I've ever seen. Your OBA system is totally awesome and the doors are obviously awesome. I've been looking to coat my cladding. You said you used Krylon paint is that right? I did some research and found they have a product specifically for painting plastic. Is that what you used, and how is it holding up to wear? Thanks for all the detailed photographs too. Everybody loves to see the goods.
Thanks for the comments. I try to do everything myself on the cheap. Krylon Fusion plastic spray rattle paint from WalMart. Satin Black. Its been on the jeep 4 years or so. If ya scratch it its easy to touch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretolearn View Post
You should think about making these and selling to guys on the forum
I've made 2 more sets for friends. I am thinking on making a few more and seeing what I can get for them. Got a couple Junk yards with several WJ and quite a few ZJs. Just got to get the doors at a good price.

I'm retiring in a couple weeks again and gunna be doing a lot to my jeep soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moPowered View Post
The question is.......do you use the door locks??? lol
They are just like the factory. They can be locked manually or they lock and unlock with the remote. I do lock the jeep when I leave it even with the half doors. The main reason is if some wanna get in they might open the door and if they do the alarm will go off. The jeep also has remote start and a proximity interior alarm. The original door harness is in the door. If its not connected to the door lock the interior lights stay on while your driving.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #53
WJWarrior
2002 WJ 

Did you take the cladding off to paint it or tape it off?
WJWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #54
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWarrior View Post
Did you take the cladding off to paint it or tape it off?
Taped it off on the full doors. I had them off on the half doors so I painted them off.
Unread 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #55
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

This mod is pimp. Props.
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #56
bigwill5112
1999 WJ 

Absolutely unbelievable. Told my wife just the other day they should have done something like this and what do you know. Props to you. PM me if you think about selling the setup.
bigwill5112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #57
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

How hard was it trying to figure out the locks with the door hangers? im doing this project and have the doors cut up and just waiting to get scrap metal and the door handles. Would it be easier to just use coat hangers or do you have to use the original?
adolphhipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #58
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

I used coat hangers to get shape and then bent the original rods. I don't think coat hangers would make a good permanent rod. Its too flexible. I figured the linkage from the lock and handle before welding the piece that holds the handle. Held it up to where it was going to be and used that as a reference.
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #59
STL_WJ
2004 WJ 

That's awesome work
STL_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #60
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Thanks. Took a little to get everything right the first time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.