Is it my starter, relay, solenoid, OR WHAT!?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is it my starter, relay, solenoid, OR WHAT!?!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
radryan505
2002 WJ 

Wow, take it easy Turbo. I'll get to it. If this is getting you bent out of shape I'd hate to see you in a real life adult situation. Haha

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8...banner-1-1.jpg

Fetal Panic Ink---- Custom Shirts and Vinyl Decals----Fetalpanicink.com or Facebook Fetal Panic Ink.
radryan505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radryan505 View Post
Wow, take it easy Turbo. I'll get to it. If this is getting you bent out of shape I'd hate to see you in a real life adult situation. Haha
HAHA! I am a troll in teh enternet.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
olewilly
1989 MJ Comanche 

Another thing, when most jeep rolled off the Lott they had 2 of the cables running into the same condoit which may be part of your problem. By loose did you mean the steering column?
olewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
radryan505
2002 WJ 

UPDATE!!! My father-in-law and I looked at it all day last saturday. We got the starter in (had to jimmy rig the clip since no one makes wire repair kits anymore). We pulled apart the steering colume (sp?), checked every fuse in and out of sight. We have concluded that there is something wrong with the computer itself, and/or something that needs to be synced got out of sync. It acting like my key is no longer programmed for the her. We can hot-wire it just fine from the battery to the relay box and it starts like a dream (did realize my starter was that bad until i got the new one on there, glad I finally got the new one. now she purrs).

But so sum it all up, I am going to driver her down to the stealership today to have them hook her up to their computer to see what they can figure out.

Thanx for all the help guys, even if you thought it could be something and I didnt try it because I knew that what you said couldnt possibly be the answer. hahahaha But you got me in the right direction.

Fetal Panic Ink---- Custom Shirts and Vinyl Decals----Fetalpanicink.com or Facebook Fetal Panic Ink.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Did you "Hot-Wire" the starter on the ignition side, battery side, or both?

If you are hot-wiring the starter by bypassing the battery cables (using jumper cables or something, then you haven't eliminated the battery cables as a problem.

Hopefully they figure it out quickly and don't charge you too much.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
radryan505
2002 WJ 

no I went straight from the (+) battery terminal to the actual holes of where the starter relay goes in the fuse box under the hood. Power is going to the starter from the battery, the problem is between the key and the battery. Either the a open and/or shorted wire or computer problem. They actually just called as I was typing this, i guess they have already started on it. Maybe ill get it back before I go up turkey hunting on saturday! (cross your finders!)

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
georged
2004 WJ 

After trying all the above, try the ignition switch. Connrect a test light to the solenoid wire at the solenoid and have someone turn the key to start. If the light goes on the switch is ok, if it does not go on it could be the switch.

If the light does not light run a jumper from the battery B plus to the solenoid with the key in the run position. If it starts this time it is the switch.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
radryan505
2002 WJ 

well, i got it back from the stealership. Come to find out this is all due to a ghetto rig repair from exactly a year ago. I was in the mountains and all of the sudden my car was running fine, but then we would hit a bump and it would die. To this day I have no idea what it was. I have test everything I could think of. I brought it to a shop in town, after a month they told me that they fixed it and all was good. When I asked what the problem was they said it was a worn down wire shorting on something. So they found it, taped it up, charged me $140 ish to do. Said they didnt charge us for a few hours of the work because I am a family friend of a friend. After that, everytime i turn it off the motor would give one last good rev then die out. So I tried for over a month to call and stop by to talk to the guy who "fixed" it, to see what exactly he did. No wonder now why he "was never available". After a while I just gave up.

So fast farward to now. I got a call from the dealer asking what the yellow wire with the mid-way fuse is. I was as confused as they were. It runs from under my steering colume to back to the fuel pump area. Come to find out, some time between changing batteries, altinators, and starters, the fuse on that wire busted. This stopped everything from the key area from giving signal to the starter to start. So I paid $225 to have the dealership tell me a fuse was busted. They replaced it and now it runs just like it before the altinator went out.

So now I am pissed because not only have I paid a grip of cash for all these horrible work to be done, but if it wasnt for a after market jerry-rig job that doesnt show up on an any wiring chart, I would have been able to find the problem myself. But seeing as that I didnt know it existed because the POS machanic lied to me, I am even MORE upset. If i would have even know to check it I could have saved a TON of money that I dont have! And to top it all off, the first night I was driving it, all excited again to be back behind the wheel of it in months, ANOTHER window regulator busted! This is the 5th over all, and now both passanger side windows are pushed up and screwed shut. ...what a world we are living in I tell ya!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.