Is it my starter, relay, solenoid, OR WHAT!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is it my starter, relay, solenoid, OR WHAT!?!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
radryan505
2002 WJ 

Is it my starter, relay, solenoid, OR WHAT!?!

Please, read my saga and PLEASE help.

For a while my jeep had a hard time turning over. If I help the key down to start it, it seemed like it would struggle to start, sometimes even completely stop doing anything for a second or 2 while holding the key down before kicking back up again to turn over. I lived with that for a good while because all the tests said the battery and starter were fine.

Then, I had an altinator barring go out, so my WJ has been sitting a while. I replaced it, put the altinator back on, started it, let it run for a while and said "cool, finally". I turned it off.

I went to go drive it couple days after then the battery was dead tried to charge it and it wouldnt hold a charge for anything.

I got a new battery and went to start it up, and now it wont even give a try to turn over. I turn the key, no click, no nothin'! All the lights turn on, Im getting about +12v from the brand new battery. Just wont make a sound.

I took out the start and got it tested, they said its good but the main shaft is a little wiggly but is considered a good starter.

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE!? I am SOO tired of driving my moms Concord, I just need this thing fixed! I am going to get the relay tested in a few minutes. I am trying to avoid checking the battery wire for internal gunk build up till if I can help it. Should I but a new starter? What else can I check.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8...banner-1-1.jpg

Fetal Panic Ink---- Custom Shirts and Vinyl Decals----Fetalpanicink.com or Facebook Fetal Panic Ink.
radryan505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
MadderThanMax

Sounds like the solonoid is fried drawing to much current.
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

Why exactly are you avoiding checking the battery cables? Assuming all else is good that would be the next thing I checked.
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
richardthethird
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax
x2
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
radryan505
2002 WJ 

Because they are all taped up nicely and I don't want to have to take then all up just for a maybe. If I can conclude something else was the problem I would rather try that first.

Fetal Panic Ink---- Custom Shirts and Vinyl Decals----Fetalpanicink.com or Facebook Fetal Panic Ink.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47 View Post
Why exactly are you avoiding checking the battery cables? Assuming all else is good that would be the next thing I checked.
^^^^Almost certainly your problem.
On mine the cables had corroded underneath the insulation. You may need to remove your terminals, strip wire back and replace with new terminals.
It fixed mine and I didn't need to spend the $$$ for new terminals.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
funkduck
2002 WJ 

When my V8's starter went out, first it was just cranking slow/sluggish for a while, so I replaced the battery thinking that was the problem, which temporarily "solved" it but 5 days later it got sluggish again... and then finally it wouldn't start. Removed the starter in a parking lot, got a ride to a parts store who tested it on their bench machine and claimed it was good... returned to my WJ and reinstalled it... nope. Being short on time and resources, I took another ride up to the parts store and bought a new starter - installed it and it fired right up, haven't had a problem (with that) since.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
car5car
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Graphite from brushes filled gaps between copper connection plates of rotor.
If solenoid takes too much amps, it would burn fuse.
My local Advance auto has a computer, checking starter, battery, alternator, cables at once in your car. Computer prints results.
start-diagram.jpg  
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
MadderThanMax

If you say so...
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
radryan505
2002 WJ 

...funkduck... I think you're my final say. My buddy said something similar about his Honda and for months now people always comment on how it sounds like my starter us bad. But my brothers wj made the same sound so I thought it was just wjs. But ill try it once I get $135 and ill let you all know. Thanx

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Another thing is check that all your battery connections as well as the ground to the engine from the battery are clean and securely connectoed. A bad ground on the engine can resemble a bad starter or battery.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
radryan505
2002 WJ 

well i just changed the starter and that is a bust. but I needed a new starter anyways I guess. Just pissed I still cant drive the thing!

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

If you have an ohm meter you can check the cables for continuity without removing the tape from them?? How about jumping from battery to the starter with a jumper cable?? Process of elimination.
Brakeman62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
MadderThanMax

Tell me about your security system.. factory or after market?

Can you still open off the Key? Do you have a spare chipped key? Try that if so.. I'm now thinking Immobiliser has kicked in...
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

stop being dumb and check your "taped up" cables. Its just tape!

Im sorry, but when you come here for help and ignore inputs from members, why should we bother?

Your symptoms point to not enough current getting to the starter, which is almost always the cables and or the connection at the battery.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.