my recent prob. w/ trans. shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > my recent prob. w/ trans. shifting

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-20-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
bjshov8

my recent prob. w/ trans. shifting

Posting here in case my experiences can help someone else.

My wife was on a trip in the 99 V8 when the trans. started acting up. It turned on the CE light and would not shift beyond 2nd gear. I took the car to a trans. shop that my dad's garage does business with and they spent some time diagnosing it. Their code checker did not provide any answers but they later determined that the "speed sensor" was bad. This is a very inexpensive fix for a transmission. Now it works like always.

The lesson here is to diagnose your problem before automatically shopping for a new trans. I was resigned to scraping up big bucks for a trans. replacement.

BTW, this is my first post to this forum, even though we have had our 99 for 4 years now.

bjshov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
whitevette

Thanks for the input!

You'll also find that a dying TPS can cause problems that seem like trans failure.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.