Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
35K views 62 replies 32 participants last post by  972186 
#1 ·
My rims were shot thanks to people who don't take car of them someone took rough sand paper to one and all four had bad oxidation around the center cap my brand new chrome lug nuts were starting to rust as well

You guys turned my on to plastidip I was just going to used it for my emblems but I figured why not try it on my rims since I can peel it off if I don't like it

So I used about 4 cans to do my rims and emblems

Since they were in such bad shape I sanded down all the clear coating off so the plastidip would hold better and so the surface would be smoother and not oxidized underneath

Let me know what you guys think... I did my lug nuts with a 12oz touch up paint of my onix green and clear coated them they chipped a bit because I couldn't let them dry so much but Ikk happy for the results

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Looks really good. I like the look of flat black rims. Very nice indeed.

#35 ·
Where are most of you guys finding plasti-dip? Ace doesnt have it. I wanna say I hit up Lowe's who didn't have it and home depot that did but it wasn't black...

#40 ·
thought about it when I was picking mine up but I really like the blacked out look. plus it was like 1.50 more for a can of it if getting colors. at least at my lowes...

#42 ·
Sorry to revive a dead post but, Long time follower, first time poster. here is my plasti dip experience.

Rims, Grill, Lower Fascia, Rocker Panels, Fuel Door, Rear Bumper Lower Valance, Rear Latch Trim, Headlight Outlines

Attachments

#60 ·
Anyone else have problems with the emblems? I used plasti-dip on the hood emblem and when I went to remove the surrounding Dip, it didn't seperate from the letters and most of it came off. So when I did it a second time, I used a blade to cut an edge. Royal pain in the butt when you do a whole car.

My emblems are crap. The chrome cover is peeling off and looks terrible. I wonder if I could spray the emblem and surrounding paint with dip.. then remove the dip on the letters, then spray the letters with black spray paint... then remove the dip and paint on the surrounding body panel. Since there's a few layers of dip there, the last layer of real paint should come off with it. Right? Does anyone understand what I'm asking?

#61 ·
Anyone else have problems with the emblems? I used plasti-dip on the hood emblem and when I went to remove the surrounding Dip, it didn't seperate from the letters and most of it came off. So when I did it a second time, I used a blade to cut an edge. Royal pain in the butt when you do a whole car.

My emblems are crap. The chrome cover is peeling off and looks terrible. I wonder if I could spray the emblem and surrounding paint with dip.. then remove the dip on the letters, then spray the letters with black spray paint... then remove the dip and paint on the surrounding body panel. Since there's a few layers of dip there, the last layer of real paint should come off with it. Right? Does anyone understand what I'm asking?
I did all of mine and they came out great, i had to do it twice, the first time i pulled it off to soon and a lot of the other dip came off with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.