3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
Wj My New WJ

Good Afternoon All,

I just purchased (within the last 3 weeks) my first WJ. I want to start a vehicle and maintenance diary of the process I will take turning it into a Daily Driving/Weekend Warrior vehicle I can use to continue the family tradition of Outdoor Activities. I have an 8yo daughter who I would like to disengage from Tech and TV so she can experience the wonders of our country. I am an Army Veteran of 11 years and come from a long line of Service Members. My father owned a 1991 Izuzu Rodeo 4x4 growing up, and would take us on trips into the Sierra Nevada's every summer for trout fishing, camping, and hiking.

Ok, so now to the Jeep lol.

Year/make/model: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. 4.0l I6, 42RE trans, SelecTrac NV242. Dana30 in front Dana35C in rear.

Known issues at time of purchase: Rust on front fenders(Salt from the roads I assume), Check Engine Light(need to get the code numbers but was told PCM and Speed Sensors).

I stumbled upon the forum site and signed up after purchase.

I purchased the WJ knowing the above issues. The other dominant issues associated with WJ's seem to be ok (Blend Door, Transfer Case). I do need to service the brakes (rear DS is caked with something; more on that later). Below is an update of current known issues. It will be similar to a diary style.

8/28/17 Purchased. Check Engine Light, Rust, DS Rear Window and Lock will not work.

9/2/17 Drove to Denver to pick up girlfriend. 516 miles round trip. Rode great no issues, passed the 200,000 mile mark on the engine. All fluids ok. Avg. MPG 20.8

9/16/17 Driving home from store. 30 mph Transmission seemed to pop into neutral. No power going to drive shaft? pressing the gas pedal just revs the engine. slowed to about 15-20 mp, driveshaft getting some power. Nursed it home about 800 yards away.Popped the hood and saw a vacuum line disconnected. Connects on driver's side of engine on the block to a valve. Reconnected and drove about 1/2 mile. No issue.

9/17/17 Same issue after leaving house today. vacuum line still connected. turned off Overdrive function, seemed ok.

9/18/17 Kept O/D function off to and from work today. Read on the forum that battery terminals and grounding could be an issue causing it. Bought new terminal ends(positive was corroded) from NAPA. Terminal ends would not secure wire ends(too big). Cleaned and dressed the old terminals and checked the ground connections. While under the vehicle I decided to inspect the under carriage as best as I could. Quite a bit of rust on skid plates, exhaust components, and lowest brake line (will probably have to change soon). Slight oil leak detected, I think it is coming from the Oil Filter. have not lost any oil, but has a lot on starter, oil pan, block etc. I think the seller pressure washed the top of the engine bay but neglected the undercarriage. Will be spending the weekend cleaning i reckon. Also noticed that there is a substantial amount of gunk on the backside of the DS rear brake rotor, and noticed a tear in the rubber on the front drive shaft where it connects to the transfer case.

9/19/17 kept transmission with O/D on to work today. seemed ok until I went above 55 mph. radio was loud but noticed slight vibration. kicked off the O/D and will monitor on the drive home.

I will keep this posting updated as best as I can. Pictures will follow. Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Trick to read the codes is turn the key on and off 3 times then leave it on the final time and it will display check engine codes in the odometer.

Can't say about the transmission issue any other than check the fluid levels and see what's going on with it.
calicowilly13 likes this.

Never trust a Jeep that doesn't leak oil.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
thanks. Fluids look good. gonna try the codes thing soon

post #4 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
Alright update #1

09/19/17 Continued to monitor for Transmission issue previously experienced. took 3 trips(work, Napa, Store). Jeep running great, no issues. Kept the Overdrive on the entire time. fluids good. thanks to jbsj33p for the trick with codes. Have the following:
P0442 EVAP system
P1762 Govenor Pressure Sensor
I saw a kit that includes transmission service stuff. Anyone have any experience with those?

Did not get the PCM code so I assume it is good?
post #5 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Garage
The pcm is the thing you got the codes from, it's the tiny computer brain of the jeep. PowertrainControlModule is what it stands for.

That first code is probably from when the vacuum hose popped off, it should go away over time if no other leaks exist. Double check all the vacuum hoses.

Not sure about the transmission code but atleast you have a code to go by, give it a search on here or someone who knows about transmissions should chime in sometime.

The service kit I imagine includes the filter and pan gasket for the transmission. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to drop the pan and change the fluid, also let's you know if anything is majorly wrong like metal chunks floating around in there.

Never trust a Jeep that doesn't leak oil.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
Thanks. I'm gonna order the kit this weekend and see if that helps. Gonna also do oil change and maybe plugs. Saw some posts to only use champion plugs. I'm used to doing Bosch. Any recommendations?
post #7 of 23 Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 PM
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicowilly13 View Post
Thanks. I'm gonna order the kit this weekend and see if that helps. Gonna also do oil change and maybe plugs. Saw some posts to only use champion plugs. I'm used to doing Bosch. Any recommendations?
For plugs stock with the copper champions, cheap and they are easy to change

Check wire harness and connectors on transmission. Unplug and plug them in. My neutral safety switch harness has three wires exposed about .5 inches, if they touch it does cause issues. Fix was liquid electrical tape.

If boot is torn on front ds, that could be cause of vibration above 50. Pull front ds and drive a few times and see if it goes away...won't hurt to drive in 2wd mode without front ds. Could be a rear u joint vibrating as well.

For rust, can you sand, bondo, and get some bed liner and coat. Plastic panels down is done with bed liner on mine...covers alot of ugly and kids can draw on it with chalk lol!

Window and lock is prolly a broke wire in the door harness rubber. Could be front ds door or the door with the issue.

With 200k you may as well jack it up and check tire rods, ball joints, hubs, and brakes.

The oil by the rear could be a leaky axle seal.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
Thanks jclaudii, Had the transmission issue this morning on my way to work, but a little different. I have to merge onto a highway and pulling from the stop it felt like it was in a higher gear then popped into first and stayed that way. tried to disengage O/D like before and manual shift into neutral and back to drive, but it didnt work. I pulled over and turned it off then back on, then seemed fine. I hope I get a chance to get under it this weekend but they are calling for thunderstorms starting tonight until Sunday.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM
rabidpenguin
2004 WJ 

Garage
http://1drv.ms/b/s!AuozJaV6UZQ9n0ZJm7uj0vZfEtLT

Here's my copy of the Jeep fsm. I have an 04. I also have the Haynes manual if you need it to.
Attached Thumbnails
20170917_090025_1506101670209.jpg  

2004 WJ,242tcase,255/75/17 Wranglers,UnidenCB w/4ft firestick. Member of RDJ
post #10 of 23 Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 PM
BDW
2004 WJ 

A not uncommon fix is the trans pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid, often replaced as a pair. Got mine from NAPA. There's less expensive kits on the webz but I don't trust that stuff.

04 WJ 4.0/NP242, 3" OME, Bilsteins, 255/75/17 & JKR wheels, 44A, 4.56, ARB lockers, & more
post #11 of 23 Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for the Manual. I actually purchased a used Haynes manual from amazon for a few bucks.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
calicowilly13
2001 WJ 

Garage
9/23/17 Cold and rainy weekend, 50 degrees. I was able to do the oil change, Oreilly's had a special on Castrol GTX HM oil so I used 5qts of that with a qt of Lucas. Jeep seems to like the mix. I had a noisy lifter and now it is purring. I couldn't do the plugs because of the rain.
9/26/17 Sun's out guns out lol. Gonna finally get to the plugs today and start the brake system cleaning. After I get the transmission and govenor sensors done the only thing left I think is to replace fluid in the differentials...and try to figure out where the p0442 code is coming from. I replaced and secured the fuel cap but code is still there. Maybe after disconnecting the battery to do plugs it will reset.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 02:24 PM
rabidpenguin
2004 WJ 

Garage
I had that code with a locking gas cap. Put my stock one back on and it went away after a couple days.

I find rotella t4 15/45 runs good also.

I'm in the process of building a strocker for my gc so I just need it to last about 6 more months. 262k miles on an 04.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 PM
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Not to threadjack too bad, but are you doing all the stroker work yourself? How much you guestimating will it set you back? I looked briefly and I just couldn't justify it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidpenguin View Post
I had that code with a locking gas cap. Put my stock one back on and it went away after a couple days.

I'm in the process of building a strocker for my gc so I just need it to last about 6 more months. 262k miles on an 04.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 PM
rabidpenguin
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
Not to threadjack too bad, but are you doing all the stroker work yourself? How much you guestimating will it set you back? I looked briefly and I just couldn't justify it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidpenguin View Post

I'm into it to much. I'm also working on an ls build for a 93 pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.