My new Treadwrights - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My new Treadwrights

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
jeep04
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
And they don't run them on steer axles...
No need to bash a perfectly good tire or the company because someone conned you into buying their beat up tread wrights as name brand.

04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Lower fail rate because lower numbers on the highway. I've ran tread wright tires before by accident, I bought used tires that turned out to be tread wrights. Terrible, terrible tires for on road, great for offroad; you can try and spin it any way you want but nothing you can say or any amount of "technology" used in bonding the new cap to a used carcass will change the fact that it's a used carcass.

Every time you buy a retread you take a risk because you don't know how old that tire carcass is before you buy it or how many heat cycles it's been through or any of it's history. Why do you want to take that gamble on your Jeep? What is the only component on your vehicle that contacts the ground and keeps you in control?
I would have to say higher numbers, most transport vehicles use them and have for a very long time.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

I have just over 10k miles on my Guard Dogs and am loving them. I rotate every 5k when I change the oil. They are noisier when first rotated, as I expected, because of the way the tread wears and it is reversed when I rotate (I use the X pattern).
I have had many compliments on the tires and most people can't believe a retread is of such quality. Even the tire shop that mounted my tires complimented the TWs and asked for more info on them. With the way they are wearing, I would not be surprised to see at least 45k miles before I need to start shopping for replacements.

The only downside is their weight. They are heavier than a comparable "fresh" tire. I can tell the extra weight is there because I am on the edge with my gearing. I imagine that once I change to 4.10s then everything will be just fine.

On road handling is nice and they don't ride as rough as expected since they are an E rated tire. I am very satisfied with the tires and hope to be a returning customer when the time comes to replace these or get a larger size.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Lower fail rate because lower numbers on the highway. I've ran tread wright tires before by accident, I bought used tires that turned out to be tread wrights. Terrible, terrible tires for on road, great for offroad; you can try and spin it any way you want but nothing you can say or any amount of "technology" used in bonding the new cap to a used carcass will change the fact that it's a used carcass.

Every time you buy a retread you take a risk because you don't know how old that tire carcass is before you buy it or how many heat cycles it's been through or any of it's history. Why do you want to take that gamble on your Jeep? What is the only component on your vehicle that contacts the ground and keeps you in control?
You bought used tires and your concerned about the the safety of retreads? Used tires are just ripped of a car and then re sold after a 30 second inspection.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
jpat30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLieR View Post
I have just over 10k miles on my Guard Dogs and am loving them. I rotate every 5k when I change the oil. They are noisier when first rotated, as I expected, because of the way the tread wears and it is reversed when I rotate (I use the X pattern).
I have had many compliments on the tires and most people can't believe a retread is of such quality. Even the tire shop that mounted my tires complimented the TWs and asked for more info on them. With the way they are wearing, I would not be surprised to see at least 45k miles before I need to start shopping for replacements.

The only downside is their weight. They are heavier than a comparable "fresh" tire. I can tell the extra weight is there because I am on the edge with my gearing. I imagine that once I change to 4.10s then everything will be just fine.

On road handling is nice and they don't ride as rough as expected since they are an E rated tire. I am very satisfied with the tires and hope to be a returning customer when the time comes to replace these or get a larger size.
Thanks, this is the type of insight I was looking for; not the argument BS that seems to be prevelant sometimes.
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpat30 View Post
Thanks, this is the type of insight I was looking for; not the argument BS that seems to be prevelant sometimes.
When it comes to retreads, you'll always have arguments - no matter what question you are asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
they have been a great tire for me so far.....no complaints
I forgot you recently picked up a set. Is this weekend your first chance to try them out off pavement? I'm sure many in this thread as well as other treadwright threads will be pleased to hear how they turn out.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
When it comes to retreads, you'll always have arguments - no matter what question you are asking.

I forgot you recently picked up a set. Is this weekend your first chance to try them out off pavement? I'm sure many in this thread as well as other treadwright threads will be pleased to hear how they turn out.

Yes we would^^ We need some other good input on treadwrights
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #38
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post

yes....and its supposed to rain so it should be a good test
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #39
CantFocus
2003 WJ 

Quote:

LOL Admittedly buys and runs used tires, then rags on treadwrights because you don't know anything about the tires previous use. What made them terrible on road? Never did get around to that. Were they M/Ts, and you were expecting them handle like a normal road tire?
[B][SIZE="3"]Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #338[/SIZE][/B]
2003 WJ Laredo 4.7 Loaded including Upcountry Package - 2" BB - Rola rack - V3 Black Projectors - 55W 5000k HIDs - Yellow 9005 fogs - JKS Discos.... More to come
CantFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
fast540
1999 WJ 

I've run treadwrights for years in high hp 2wd buggies and for about the last year on my wj. Although my jeep isn't a dd it sees long road trips to get wheeled pretty often. The road manners are on par with any quality mt and they work great offroad. I'm running the gard dogs
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

There was a study done a couple years ago that I posted in another one of these threads with people who think they are always right. This study was published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal and yet the ignorant still thought they were right and the study was wrong. Basically what the study said was that the failure rate between new tires and retreads is statistically the same, in fact, retreads was a bit lower in the study but a statistical analysis of the population showed there was no difference. I dont really feel like looking for that post right now, but feel free to do your own search. It also listed the means of failure which and the things you would expect from retreads such as tread separation, actually occurred more often on new tires. New tires experienced more blowouts from obstacles and potholes in the road than retreads. The majority of retread failures were due to over or under inflation, not really the fault of the tire. Most of the blown out tires you see on all the major highways are actually brand new tires.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #42
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
There was a study done a couple years ago that I posted in another one of these threads with people who think they are always right. This study was published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal and yet the ignorant still thought they were right and the study was wrong. Basically what the study said was that the failure rate between new tires and retreads is statistically the same, in fact, retreads was a bit lower in the study but a statistical analysis of the population showed there was no difference. I dont really feel like looking for that post right now, but feel free to do your own search. It also listed the means of failure which and the things you would expect from retreads such as tread separation, actually occurred more often on new tires. New tires experienced more blowouts from obstacles and potholes in the road than retreads. The majority of retread failures were due to over or under inflation, not really the fault of the tire. Most of the blown out tires you see on all the major highways are actually brand new tires.
too much logic in this post.....it wont be taken seriously
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #43
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantFocus

LOL Admittedly buys and runs used tires, then rags on treadwrights because you don't know anything about the tires previous use. What made them terrible on road? Never did get around to that. Were they M/Ts, and you were expecting them handle like a normal road tire?
Why bother you people are like talking to a brick wall, a 5 year old tire is a 5 year old tire no matter what the tread looks like or how it was bonded. If you're too dense to understand that then I can't help you, as for the tread rights being bad on road they flat spot and are notorious for being hard to balance and keep balance without the help of balancing beads.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #44
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Why bother you people are like talking to a brick wall, a 5 year old tire is a 5 year old tire no matter what the tread looks like or how it was bonded. If you're too dense to understand that then I can't help you, as for the tread rights being bad on road they flat spot and are notorious for being hard to balance and keep balance without the help of balancing beads.
balancing beads are a form of Dynamic balancing......Treadwrights MUST be STATIC balanced......no beads
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39

balancing beads are a form of Dynamic balancing......Treadwrights MUST be STATIC balanced......no beads
Yes an older style of balancing that many shops don't or won't do anymore, you can go tell myself and the tons of other people that used balancing beads to correct these crappy tires imbalance that they did it wrong. Wait we didn't because they're actually balanced now! Weren't you one of the people preaching about personal experience?
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.