My new Treadwrights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My new Treadwrights

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
029s
2004 WJ 

My new Treadwrights

New shoes for my recently lifted WJ arrived today. 285/70R17 Treadwright Guard Dog MT on BFG carcasses. Wheel spacers should be here tomorrow. I'm planning on having them mounted Thursday.

029s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
jeep04
2004 WJ 

Great tire, i kinda wish i wouldn't have got rid of mine and thinking about getting another set. Post a pic after they are mounted up.

I thought Treadwrights had their own writing on the sidewall now that actually said Treadwright , guess not.
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
029s
2004 WJ 

They offer a bead to bead remodel that has Treadwright on it but the availability on those is limited to a few sizes right now.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

What is the draw on these tread right tires? Why do people prefer them over just getting new tires?
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
dirtyd851
2002 WJ 

The price and it's also a "greener" alternative to buying new ones if that's your thing!
dirtyd851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
029s
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
What is the draw on these tread right tires? Why do people prefer them over just getting new tires?
Figure you can save a hundred bucks a tire plus, that is no small thing. In my searching I haven't found anyone complaining about them so they are doing something right.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 029s View Post
Figure you can save a hundred bucks a tire plus, that is no small thing. In my searching I haven't found anyone complaining about them so they are doing something right.
Its made the exact same way a tire is made in the first place. They just re use the casing and slap a new tread on. Its basically a new tire. I wouldnt see much to complain about!

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
ADragg
2003 WJ 

How do you know what carcass you're getting? I'm really interested in this tire! I've seen this tire on many Jeeps and been confused as I've seen them with "BFG All Terrain" or "Goodyear Wrangler" on the sides and tried to find them and thought they must be a discontinued Goodyear model or something. And on and on. This tire has confused the hell out of me. Now I get it! I was getting ready to order some Duratracs but 5 of these will cost me $500 less than 4 Duratracs. I need to do some searching, but I wish I knew the exact weight of a ~32" Guard Dog and I wonder how the road noise and on-road driving characteristics compare to a Duratrac and something like the KM2. They seem pretty similar to the Duratrac. I big selling point of the Duratrac is it's lightweight, for me. For others, they just see that as a weak sidewall. But I might risk it for better MPG's. If these don't get noticeably worse mileage than a similar size Duratrac and handle well on the road, I might have to get some.

One thing I noticed is that they say the 255/75/17 is a 32.2" tire and is slightly SMALLER than the 265/70/17, which they say is a 32.25" tire. If you do the math, though, a 255/75/17 is almost exactly a 32" and the 265/70/17 is a 31.6" tire. Interesting, because if what they are saying is true, then not only are both tires bigger than they're supposed to be (I know sizes vary by brand) but the 265/70/17 is a LOT bigger than it's "supposed" to be to the point that it's bigger than the 255 which is supposed to be a bigger tire. That's another thing I'm a little concerned about, because I didn't quite want a full 32" tire and these are supposed to be even bigger than that. So that, combined with the extra weight, might mean these get noticeably worse mileage than a comparable Duratrac. I hope not. If their sizes are accurate, then I would love to get a 265/65/17 and go a size down to hopefully ~31.5", but they don't seem to have the Guard Dog in that size.

I hope these turn out to be "the one" though. Because they look awesome and the price is great. I just don't want them to make my gas mileage noticeably much worse than other options (due to weight and being oversized) or make too much extra road noise (again, in comparison to something like the Duratrac). Do they all come on BFG A/T carcasses? Thanks to anyone who can answer any of my questions and congrats on the sweet tires!
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Its made the exact same way a tire is made in the first place. They just re use the casing and slap a new tread on. Its basically a new tire. I wouldnt see much to complain about!
Except its not new and the carcass could be 5 years old or even older, theyre only acceptable on trail rigs.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #10
perfeng702
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Except its not new and the carcass could be 5 years old or even older, theyre only acceptable on trail rigs.
this. retreads aren't made the exact same way as a new tire.
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I looked at the Guard Dogs when shopping

After shipping, it would have saved me $250 over brand new Duratracs

But, I then had to go find someone to mount and balance, which can be a hassle, especially with re-treads.
Figure another 20-40 per tire, and the savings just don't add up.

In the end, the ease and nationwide warranty thru Discount Tire sold me.

May work out different in other sizes; your results may vary!!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #12
jeep04
2004 WJ 

To answer some of your questions ADragg, yes they do run a little bigger then the same size in another brand but not by much. You can request which sidewall you want, i went with BFG A/T when i ordered mine just since there known for having a strong sidewall.

As far as road noise mine got louder with age/miles but rotating at every oil change kept the noise down a little, but what mud tire is quite... which is why i don't have mine anymore. I had mine for over 20k miles and never had an issue driving the highway everyday @70+mph .....The people who say they are garbage are just pissed because they didn't save the $400.
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
029s
2004 WJ 

For starters they aren't just a tire for trail rigs. My work truck runs retreads from a different company and they perform and last better than any new tire we have found. I am getting mine mounted and balanced for $17 a tire. For the 285's I a saving no less than $500 for the set compared to any MT option. This is my first set from them but they will really have to suck to not be worth the savings.
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Have had mine on now for 5K miles, all highway between school and home, 3 hour ride. No complaints on and of road. Wish I would have gone bigger and with a mud tire but I needed tires and everything was on back order. I was skeptical about so much on road use, but nothing do far. Most of the people you hear saying they aren't safe or don't waste the money probably haven't had them. That being days, yes there are some incidents when they fail, and getting them mounted can be a pain, but Walmart does it. So if you are tight for money and want a tire that will last a longgg time, these are great. The hairs just wore off after 5K. If I would try to find a deal on craigslist or jf for a mud tire then discount tire will still warranty them.good luck
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
adavis39
2002 WJ 

they have been a great tire for me so far.....no complaints
rsz_img_1904-201.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.