My new 01 Limited - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My new 01 Limited

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #76
outlaw30
2001 WJ 

sounds like the humming was a bearing in your blower motor going bad, and it finally failed. Sorry, but a new blower motor is in your future.

outlaw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #77
volvite
1999 WJ 

Take a look at this link: http://www.wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm

It will give you some pointers on possible blower motor resistor in the limited.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #78
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Thanks again for the help guys. Ill post a couple of pics of my Jeep later to balance out all the questions

EDIT:
The problem IS the conector on the blower motor control unit. I wiggled it around and it started up! There was blue tape on the wires right at the connector terminal which I am almost certain is not from factory (can anybody confirm this?) Any way I wiggled it into a position that should hold contact until at least my camping trip is through this weekend. Still does not explain the humming at full blow (no nasty thoughts). Seems to me that Outlaw30 might be on to a future failure of the motor itself. For now ill solder or replace the wire terminals and try not to put it on high to avoid further damaging the bearing (if it is in fact an issue). JF saved me again.
KingSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #79
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Here are a couple of images as promised. Still wheeling her stock as I was laid off early December. My BB and Tire plans are on hold Luckily shes a great rig stock and I am still learning the basics with her

Unread 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #80
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Please tell me that is not an H3 pulling you out......

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #81
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitnail View Post
Please tell me that is not an H3 pulling you out......
Get over it

EDIT: Perhaps that was a bit harsh. Sorry. Yes, that is an H3 pulling me out. The owner is a great guy who is showing me the ropes.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #82
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

4Wheeler Mag thinks pretty highly of the H3 for an off-road rig. I think they are ugly and overpriced, but apparently they are pretty capable.

Also, OP - get ahold of a $60 MV-50/MF-1050 compressor (Pepboys) and start airing down. You will gain tons of traction and comfort off-road. I like 15psi on stock-ish tires. Definitely worth doing.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #83
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

arent h3's just tahoe or colorado frames?

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #84
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

They're based on the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Much smaller than a Tahoe. They have factory E-lockers, more ground clearance, and better approach/departure/breakover angles than our WJ. But as I said.. I think they are ugly, I think they are overpriced, and I don't like GM products anyway.
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #85
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
4Wheeler Mag thinks pretty highly of the H3 for an off-road rig. I think they are ugly and overpriced, but apparently they are pretty capable.

Also, OP - get ahold of a $60 MV-50/MF-1050 compressor (Pepboys) and start airing down. You will gain tons of traction and comfort off-road. I like 15psi on stock-ish tires. Definitely worth doing.
Thanks for the advice. I have gotten into the habit of airing down since those pics were taken. I wasn't sure how much though so I usually go down to around 20 psi. If you recommend 15psi then I will try that next time out. I know your not supposed to go too low so I'm guessing 15 is the lowest you should air down? I am still a bit green on wheeling but I have been learning a TON. My cousin has a compressor in his YJ and I think I will pick one up too eventually.

As for the Hummers, IMO they look decent from the front but not the rear. I never liked the newer Hummers too much but am a big fan of the original ones. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

EDIT:
Here is a short clip of the recovery... I need rock sliders =[
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #86
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

seeing a hummer pull out a jeep makes me wanna puke
Blue04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #87
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, try different pressures and see what you like. I've done a bit of stock wheeling and you start trading ground clearance for traction at a certain point. In different terrain you may want different pressures. Snow, go low. Harder terrain or higher speed sections you may want higher pressure to prevent unseating the bead. If you have M/Ts and beadlocks you can go way low and not pop a bead. With street/AT tires you don't have the same sidewall strength, so popping a bead is more likely. Try them it out and see what you like. I think 20 is too high though.
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #88
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Hey my old xj had on the back said H2 recovery vehicle lol.. Its and h3 my subaru sti can pull it out. But hey man you need to get a bb but wheeling stock isnt half bad I do. Also if you do get lift and rims and tires let me know what you want for those rims.
MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #89
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Yeah, try different pressures and see what you like. I've done a bit of stock wheeling and you start trading ground clearance for traction at a certain point. In different terrain you may want different pressures. Snow, go low. Harder terrain or higher speed sections you may want higher pressure to prevent unseating the bead. If you have M/Ts and beadlocks you can go way low and not pop a bead. With street/AT tires you don't have the same sidewall strength, so popping a bead is more likely. Try them it out and see what you like. I think 20 is too high though.
I want M/Ts so bad. If my tax refund check is fat this year I might pick up a set... maybe even a used set with wheels just for off roading. Going out with these stock street tires is getting a bit embarrassing.
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #90
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You can also unbolt the end links of the front sway bar and zip tie the bar up out of the way. Free mod, and you can do it with the wheels still attached/ no jacking. Voila, "quick disconnects". You get more flex and more traction. When I tried the same ORV park two weekends in a row with my STOCK ZJ it was a night and day difference when I got to the tricky off-camber sections. The front sway really restricts your flex off road. Vital on-road, but ditch it off-road.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.