My new 01 Limited - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My new 01 Limited

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #61
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

dig it man. i sold the 4x2 laredo to buy my limited HO too. despite the fact that it's a money pit, best decision ever.

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #62
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked5 View Post
Just ordered Wrangler Silent Armor in a 245/65r17
I'm running the same tires, same size. No fitment issues whatsoever. They fill out the wheel wells nicely and will still look good with a BB. Also a GREAT tire.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #63
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
damn my sandstone interior, one drop of mud and itll look like crap for life. I gotta stick to the dry trails
Husky Liners, Scotchgard, windows up. Problem solved! Although I'll admit... I'm not a huge mud fan either. Cleaning it off the body, no biggie. Tearing into your brakes after getting stuck in a sippy hole...that's a PITA. I'll stick to the trails and get dirty and let the other saps go mud boggin.
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #64
jhc5
2001 WJ 

GUYS!!! I just bought a 2001 Limited too. JUST NOW. Hours ago!

Here she is on the dealer site: Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Walnut Creek, CA, SUV, Mercedes-Benz of Walnut Creek Stock: T1C641070

Anyone tell me if I've got Upcountry? Thanks!
jhc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #65
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Possible. Take a tape measure and measure from the center of your center cap to the edge of the fender. 18" is stock. 18-3/4" is Upcountry. Tow hooks and skid plates came with it, but were also available as separate options.

Next, take your VIN and go over to the Jeep.com website and fill out a contact form. Politely ask for a Build Sheet and they will tell you everything about how your Jeep was equipped from the factory. Every option code, every little detail.
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #66
jhc5
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Possible. Take a tape measure and measure from the center of your center cap to the edge of the fender. 18" is stock. 18-3/4" is Upcountry. Tow hooks and skid plates came with it, but were also available as separate options.

Next, take your VIN and go over to the Jeep.com website and fill out a contact form. Politely ask for a Build Sheet and they will tell you everything about how your Jeep was equipped from the factory. Every option code, every little detail.
Got my build sheet... no Up Country for me, but I did get all trailering and skid plate groups. Time to go bug the dealers listed on the carfax for service records now.
jhc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #67
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

The sunroof was broken since i got the car a month and a half ago. I have heard people say it can cost from $150 to $1500 to fix a sunroof so i have been avoiding getting it looked at. Any ways I attached a pic hoping some one can tell me a bit more about what the actual problem is. You can see on the first pic up top that the sunroof is closed. On the picture below, its trying to open but only the passanger side is going up. I added the red lines so you can see the level of the glass. In the second pic, that is as far as it gets. Seems like its trying to open but the driver side wont budge causing the glass to flex like that.

Please help! I want my sunroof so bad!
KingSuper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #68
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

New Question time!

Could anybody ballpark how much I should spend for getting all my fluids changed? This includes tranny, tc, diffs, ect? I just got off the phone with the stealership and they said just over a grand!!!! So I guess I have the following questions:

1) Is that a reasonable quote? If not how much should i look to spend?
2) Would I be able to this is myself? Im no mechanic but I understand basics and can be handy with wrench.
3) Did I forget any fluids? Vari-loks? any other service for around 90K miles?

The car is a 2001 GC Limited Quadradrive with around 87K miles.
In all honesty I trust the advice of some of you guys more then my mechanic and the stealership.
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #69
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSuper View Post
The sunroof was broken since i got the car a month and a half ago. I have heard people say it can cost from $150 to $1500 to fix a sunroof so i have been avoiding getting it looked at. Any ways I attached a pic hoping some one can tell me a bit more about what the actual problem is. You can see on the first pic up top that the sunroof is closed. On the picture below, its trying to open but only the passanger side is going up. I added the red lines so you can see the level of the glass. In the second pic, that is as far as it gets. Seems like its trying to open but the driver side wont budge causing the glass to flex like that.

Please help! I want my sunroof so bad!
I guess you're trying to vent it, not actually open it? What happens when you open it? (it opens into the roof, not above it)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #70
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSuper View Post
New Question time!

Could anybody ballpark how much I should spend for getting all my fluids changed? This includes tranny, tc, diffs, ect? I just got off the phone with the stealership and they said just over a grand!!!! So I guess I have the following questions:

1) Is that a reasonable quote? If not how much should i look to spend?
2) Would I be able to this is myself? Im no mechanic but I understand basics and can be handy with wrench.
3) Did I forget any fluids? Vari-loks? any other service for around 90K miles?

The car is a 2001 GC Limited Quadradrive with around 87K miles.
In all honesty I trust the advice of some of you guys more then my mechanic and the stealership.
Full synthetic fluids, including Dealer only 247 fluid for the transfer case and Dealer only Friction Modifier for the diffs should be less than $3-400. The full tranny change is where they're getting you on the labor.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #71
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I guess you're trying to vent it, not actually open it? What happens when you open it? (it opens into the roof, not above it)
When I try to open it it moves like an 1/8 of an inch and stops with a loud CLICK!!!!
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #72
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The fluid changes aren't very hard but can be a little messy. I think $300-400 is a fair price for paying someone, but then again the fluids/gaskets you need should be under $100. It also depends on just how far you want to go. EVERYTHING? That's a lot to take on all at once. "etc" goes a long way.

Diffs: 4 quarts of 75W140 gear oil + 2 bottle friction modifier. This can range from $100 in fluids to $50 in fluids. My preferred fluid is Redline 75W140 - it's a high-end synthetic which is recommended for QuadraDrive and has the right friction modifier included. NO OTHER FLUID can claim this, and then you have to add friction modifier on top of that. Redline runs $11-$13/qt. You also need 2 cans of carb cleaner and a tube of Ultra Black RTV sealant, some rags, some gloves, basic hand tools, a razor blade, and basic hand tools. The procedure is as simple as taking out the fill plug, removing the differential cover, cleaning off all the oil silicone sealant, cleaning out all the oil with carb cleaner, then resealing and filling the differential.

Transfer case: 2 Bottles of NV247 fluid. This is a dealer-only special hydraulic fluid and I was charged $12.50/qt by the dealer although some people report getting charged as much as $30/qt. You only need two quarts. The procedure here is: remove fill plug first (10mm hex), then remove drain plug. Replace drain plug, re-fill with new fluid.

I personally recommend having a shop do the transmission. I've done it and made a huge mess and I was kicking myself for not just paying the $200 for the local tranny shop to do it for me. Plus they can do a full flush which is more effective and gets more of the dirty fluid out. Again, $200 was the price I was quoted including band adjustment (which is a 42RE-specific thing you don't need to worry about).

What else do you want to do? Coolant? Power Steering? Brake Fluid?
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #73
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The fluid changes aren't very hard but can be a little messy. I think $300-400 is a fair price for paying someone, but then again the fluids/gaskets you need should be under $100. It also depends on just how far you want to go. EVERYTHING? That's a lot to take on all at once. "etc" goes a long way.

Diffs: 4 quarts of 75W140 gear oil + 2 bottle friction modifier. This can range from $100 in fluids to $50 in fluids. My preferred fluid is Redline 75W140 - it's a high-end synthetic which is recommended for QuadraDrive and has the right friction modifier included. NO OTHER FLUID can claim this, and then you have to add friction modifier on top of that. Redline runs $11-$13/qt. You also need 2 cans of carb cleaner and a tube of Ultra Black RTV sealant, some rags, some gloves, basic hand tools, a razor blade, and basic hand tools. The procedure is as simple as taking out the fill plug, removing the differential cover, cleaning off all the oil silicone sealant, cleaning out all the oil with carb cleaner, then resealing and filling the differential.

Transfer case: 2 Bottles of NV247 fluid. This is a dealer-only special hydraulic fluid and I was charged $12.50/qt by the dealer although some people report getting charged as much as $30/qt. You only need two quarts. The procedure here is: remove fill plug first (10mm hex), then remove drain plug. Replace drain plug, re-fill with new fluid.

I personally recommend having a shop do the transmission. I've done it and made a huge mess and I was kicking myself for not just paying the $200 for the local tranny shop to do it for me. Plus they can do a full flush which is more effective and gets more of the dirty fluid out. Again, $200 was the price I was quoted including band adjustment (which is a 42RE-specific thing you don't need to worry about).

What else do you want to do? Coolant? Power Steering? Brake Fluid?
Thanks! You guys are awesome... sighing up to JF was a really good move To answer your question, I guess i would like to do all of those at some point. My Jeep is creeping up on 90K so whatever Jeep recommends to be changed I want to change. I assumed they were cheaper that is why I initially thought to do them all at once. But now I will have to take your advice and do them one by one. I might try the transfer case first as it seems that is the easiest. Thanks again
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #74
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

RandDUMB question #2

I was at Hungry Valley off-road park yesterday for a full day of wheeling. 2 times during the day, when my car was in 4low, the transfercase kicked out of 4low and into Neutral. I had to turn the car off and restart it in 4 all time.

Is this normal? What would cause that to happen? Did I do anything wrong?
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #75
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

HEATER/AC gave out on me. Please help.

My ac/heater no longer blows any air at all in any setting. At first, it made a loud humming noise when I set it to high (no the temp but how hard it blows). So i would put it on the low setting to avoid the humming. But recently i was in the snow and needed all the warmth i could get so i cranked it up a bit it started humming again and then quit on me after a short while. Now it does not blow anything through the vents. If i have it on hot I can feel a very little bit of warmth coming through the vent but nothing is blowing it out. Please help me =[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.