My new 01 Limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My new 01 Limited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
MissKays01WJ
2001 WJ 

BLUE JEEP WHEELIN WHAT WHAT!

jk very nice!

MissKays01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #17
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Thanks everyone, im glad i got a decent rig. What is blend doors?
KingSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You know how you have the auto climate control inside? Well every X number of key cycles, the system says "hey, lets calibrate the system for the hell of it" basically that entails letting the motor controlling blend of warm and cold air for your climate controls testing how far it can spin the doors. There is a plastic limiting pin on the axle of the doors that hits a stop and resists the motor, thats how it knows how far to go. Due to a manufacturing defect (a.k.a. plastic) the pin likes to snap off. Then the door goes up and hits the housing of the HVAC box. Shortly thereafter, the motor ends up putting enough stress on the axles of the doors which are coincidentally made out of none other than plastic. You can see where this is going. The plastic axles break and the doors fall to the bottom most position, the equivalent of full cold. Your symptoms will be no heat on either the passenger side, driver side, or both.

What the dealer does to fix this is take apart the ENTIRE dashboard, drain the coolant and AC, and pull the HVAC box out and replace the parts inside. Rumor has it they're using metal parts now. Total cost + labor is usually $1000+. Now, HeaterTreater and Blendoor have kits you can buy and do it yourself. The most popular one gets rid of dual control and just makes it so both blend doors are run by the drivers side. Cheap ($130 or less) and effective. Passenger side temp control does nothing afterwards. For a little more ($175) you can get a kit that retains the dual control. Both these kits have metal axles, stop pins, and doors. They will not break again! Both these fixes can be done through the glove box. You basically drop the glove box, and use a dremel to cut a nice little access hole in the HVAC box. You can then remove the broken hardware, replace with the good stuff, and put the plastic back into place. Kit includes alluminum tape to seal the cuts. Thats the story of Sir Blend Door in a nutshell

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
You know how you have the auto climate control inside? Well every X number of key cycles, the system says "hey, lets calibrate the system for the hell of it" basically that entails letting the motor controlling blend of warm and cold air for your climate controls testing how far it can spin the doors. There is a plastic limiting pin on the axle of the doors that hits a stop and resists the motor, thats how it knows how far to go. Due to a manufacturing defect (a.k.a. plastic) the pin likes to snap off. Then the door goes up and hits the housing of the HVAC box. Shortly thereafter, the motor ends up putting enough stress on the axles of the doors which are coincidentally made out of none other than plastic. You can see where this is going. The plastic axles break and the doors fall to the bottom most position, the equivalent of full cold. Your symptoms will be no heat on either the passenger side, driver side, or both.

What the dealer does to fix this is take apart the ENTIRE dashboard, drain the coolant and AC, and pull the HVAC box out and replace the parts inside. Rumor has it they're using metal parts now. Total cost + labor is usually $1000+. Now, HeaterTreater and Blendoor have kits you can buy and do it yourself. The most popular one gets rid of dual control and just makes it so both blend doors are run by the drivers side. Cheap ($130 or less) and effective. Passenger side temp control does nothing afterwards. For a little more ($175) you can get a kit that retains the dual control. Both these kits have metal axles, stop pins, and doors. They will not break again! Both these fixes can be done through the glove box. You basically drop the glove box, and use a dremel to cut a nice little access hole in the HVAC box. You can then remove the broken hardware, replace with the good stuff, and put the plastic back into place. Kit includes alluminum tape to seal the cuts. Thats the story of Sir Blend Door in a nutshell
Thanks for the explination, I think i already have that problem. Cold air works fine and heater does nothing! I will have to find thoes kits online and just atempt to do it myself. Id like to keep my dual control. Thanks again, you guys identified my problem b4 i even mentioned it
Unread 10-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #20
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

A few more cell phone pics. Also Just ordered K&N air intake system!
2010-10-03_15-04-43_384.jpg   2010-10-03_17-34-13_939.jpg   2010-10-03_17-56-33_868.jpg   2010-10-03_17-58-36_420.jpg   2010-10-05_21-38-39_963.jpg  

Unread 10-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
djfred
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's a sexy beast. Can't wait to get back and tackle some terrain with u. FYI I live 30 min away from gorman. We should do that.
Front D30 (4.88 w/ Powertrax No-Slip) -- Rear 8.8 (4.88 w/ ARB) -- Front Custom Bumper -- Custom Side Rock Guards -- Dual Snorkel (Coming Soon)
djfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

DJ Fred you are the only sexy beast around here. Im down for Gorman but I feel like that might be too advanced for my car.. I dunno. Either way i have never been and am down to go check it out some time. Ill call ya.
Unread 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I spy upcountry on that tag

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I spy upcountry on that tag
Yes and im psyced! Also confirmed on the build sheet. Now I'm strongly considering a 2inch BB. And I need Flowmasters too.

I hope I don't regret the volume, but I am thinking about going with the Super44's.
How do i figure out which one of these I need?

Flowmaster Super 44 Mufflers | Super 44 Offroad Muffler.
Unread 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You'll either love or hate the 44's. They're very.... obnoxious. If thats the sound you're going for all the power to you. You can order a direct fit flowmaster that fits perfectly in place of the factory one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bA4...eature=related

see, just not really the right sound

If you are going for musclecar sound... well... this guy just has the ultimate setup lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P76s_...eature=related

Matt
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

I installed a K&N system yesterday. How Concerned should i be about water/dirt getting into the system? Do any of you hard core off roaders use them? Anything I can do to minimize the chance of water or dust getting to the filter?
2010-10-08_14-02-27_39.jpg  
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #27
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

yeah, replace those hood props
Blue04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
KingSuper
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue04WJ View Post
yeah, replace those hood props
Lol I will add that to my list.

Seriously though any one have problems wheeling with their K&N FIPK in terms of dirt or water?
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #29
Nubster
2002 WJ 

Kolak has a nice exhaust system that is pretty inexpensive. It is a 3" system that includes a new high flow cat and uses a Flowmaster 70 muffler. It gets great reviews and once money isn't such an issue I think I am going to get one from him. I need to get my stupid death wobble fixed and I need new tires so those are priority at the moment.

As far as the K&N...do you notice any power increase or change in the sound of your Jeep? I want to do the intake as well when I do the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBfKo4Yrro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5VBk...eature=related

"When I Die, Bury me in my Jeep. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!"

White Jeep Club #132
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #30
straty1987

yes there is something you can do about water if you concerned with that happening

amsoil prefilter AMSOIL - EaPF Pre-Filters

and the EaPF21 should work for you

K&N filter you have is:

Base Outside Diameter: 5.5 in (140 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 3.5 in (89 mm)
Flange Length: 1.25 in (32 mm)
Height: 8 in (203 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 4 in (102 mm)

hope it helps, soon i am going to pick up that per filter and the bigger amsoil filter to replace my K&N one since i wont have to deal with a oiled filter .

hope it helps and nice jeep
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.