My Jeep shakes violently when I brake... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My Jeep shakes violently when I brake...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Ecornell
2001 WJ 

Wj My Jeep shakes violently when I brake...

I have an interesting problem that has been looked over by several mechanics and myself, yet, the problem still seems to remain. I have a 01' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My problem is that for some odd reason, when I brake, the Jeep shakes like a brick in a washing machine. The brakes dont have to be bled, the alignment is fine, the pads and the drums are still in good condition, etc. This problem doesnt occur when I gradually press on the brake to come to a stop, however, when I push down on it a little harder (not to the floor, but with a little more force), the jeep seems to start shaking. I dont know what is wrong with it. Everything has been checked and still no successful results. Please let me know what you think may be wrong with it. I used to have an 03' Laredo and it never did this.

Ecornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Have the calipers and rotors been swapped?

"Looking" at them versus taking them off and getting them turned and checked for runout is two different things. Very hard to see hot spots and warpage with the neekid eye...

This is a known issue with our Dubs, do a quick search and find all the info you need...

And if you found drums that are in good shape, you weren't looking at a Dub... they have disc brakes..
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
madmax

There aren't any "drums" in Grand Cherokees. There are rotors all four corners. It's possible that you have warped rotors? If your front brake calipers aren't Akebono, you should change the calipers to Akebono.

Hope it helps.

2007 BMW 335i, Montego Blue with Lemon seats, premium & sport package.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0L - SOLD :(
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Ecornell
2001 WJ 

Wj

Unfortunately, I have had them taken off and checked and I even looked myself and for some reason, they are drums. Did you say they dont have drums? and also, they have been swapped, they are fairly new and they were installed properly yet it still has this issue. Ive brought it to multiple mechanics and none of them were able to diagnose this issue. they are all somewhat stumped. Ive come down to the point where I want to sell the jeep as is and get another one.
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
madmax

Drums??? I've never seen WJs with drum brakes. Could you take a picture of it and post the picture in this thread?

2007 BMW 335i, Montego Blue with Lemon seats, premium & sport package.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0L - SOLD :(
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Ecornell
2001 WJ 

ok well then my mechanics are retarded then. i will try what both of you have said first. i myself dont have the time and patience to do so myself so ive been relying on my mechanic's to tell me my issues. im tired with illtrained mechanics telling me whats wrong with it and then costing me more money. which is why ive come here in search of advice.
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Ecornell
2001 WJ 

yeah i know ive never seen them with drums either but when my buddy and i lifted it off the ground and took them off and brought them into autozone and had them pull them out of stock so we could get new ones, the guy gave us drums, so we didnt buy new ones because we figured something wasnt right. i will post pics in the morning because its too dark at the moment.
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

The only thingI can think of is the emergency brakes in the rear, but still, they are rotors.

Defenitely sounds like possibly warped rotors symptoms. Mine got really bad after a month. They replaced both front rotors and pads and problem was fixed. Took my time breaking the new ones in and haven't had a problem yet. Only other thing I can think of, but don't know how, is how's the abs?
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
bigchevy87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i would say new pads rotors and calipers, new calipers are around 50 bucks at autozone
bigchevy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Ecornell
2001 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevy87 View Post
i would say new pads rotors and calipers, new calipers are around 50 bucks at autozone

tried that, didnt fix the problem
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecornell View Post
ok well then my mechanics are retarded then. i will try what both of you have said first. i myself dont have the time and patience to do so myself so ive been relying on my mechanic's to tell me my issues. im tired with illtrained mechanics telling me whats wrong with it and then costing me more money. which is why ive come here in search of advice.
Quote:
yeah i know ive never seen them with drums either but when my buddy and i lifted it off the ground and took them off and brought them into autozone and had them pull them out of stock so we could get new ones, the guy gave us drums, so we didnt buy new ones because we figured something wasnt right. i will post pics in the morning because its too dark at the moment.
Quote:
tried that, didnt fix the problem
So which is it? You've replaced the drums/rotors/calipers or your mechanic did or has anyone actually done anything?

Hard to diagnose sight unseen in the first place, and then you have given so much conflicting info..
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
cde02ltd

Check the tires too. Swap them from front to rear and see if the problem still exists.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #13
Baitis
2004 WJ 

Since you've supposedly replaced the front rotors and calipers then the drums are out of round, have a glazed spot, or are contaminated. Find a new mechanic.
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #14
cde02ltd

Drums? As stated in earlier posts, the wj does not have drums. We have disc brakes on all 4 wheels. If this vehicle has drum brakes, it is not a wj.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
Duh

When you brake, the vehicles weight shifts forward onto the front suspension. Any suspension/steering faults that arent noticed in nirmal forward driving may start to become evident with that shifting of weight. Without feeling it myself, i cant tell you anything, but dont limit yourself to just brakes when looking for the problem. Ive had strange issues on custoner vehicles that you would guarentee were brakes when they ended up being anything from wheel bearings to rear toe links shifting in their bushing at the right harmonic (not straight axle if courae)
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.