My 2001 Jeep has power, but won't start??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > My 2001 Jeep has power, but won't start???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
MasternX

Unhappy My 2001 Jeep has power, but won't start???

Ok so, this problem started about 2 weeks ago, and would happen on and off.. but now, it is happening nonstop, and I currently cannot get my jeep to start.. Its a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2001 (automatic).. My jeep has full power (so it seems), and all the lights and everything in the jeep work fine.. but when I turn the key, it just clicks (once) and I can hear another electronic sounding noise in the background (which I am guessing is a fuel injector or something?) .. If I keep turning the key, over and over, sometimes It will just start up magically, no problems at all.. I was guessing it was the battery, and indeed, I tried jumping it 3 times with cables and it worked fine.. And actually, it worked for a few days, but now its back to not starting at all. I cleaned the connections on the battery, and still nothing. Also, I noticed that when I turn the key, all power is still in effect, but where the milage is, the numbers are very dim/faded, and then all of the sudden (after it clicks), it will say the word DONE and then show my milage... Can anyone help me with this problem? Thank you!

Sincerely,
Noah

MasternX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Two quick guesses are:

1. Ignition coil
2. Bad Starter

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Robert1234

Well, if you are turning the key from the off possition to the on then off then on then off then on the word done where the millage is, then you are activating the computer to read out engine/tans. fault codes. If you do not see any codes but see the word done then there is no fault codes for you to read. If you have had your battery tested and it is fine then you probably have a dead spot in your starter/solenoid. Sometimes jump starting the vehicle will send too much power to the starter/solenoid and move it just enough to push it past the dead spot and let you start your engine. After that start you should be fine until your starter/solenoid lands on the dead spot again or the starter/solenoid goes completely bad.
Robert1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
MasternX

Ok so, the "done" thing really doesn't mean anything then, because no codes are displayed.. and yes, I just had my battery tested, and they said it was holding a good charge... so should I try getting my starter replaced? or..

Noah
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Yes your starter is most likely dead.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Robert1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasternX
Ok so, the "done" thing really doesn't mean anything then, because no codes are displayed.. and yes, I just had my battery tested, and they said it was holding a good charge... so should I try getting my starter replaced? or..

Noah
Unless you have a bad connection at the starter itself. Did you check the power connection at the starter for corrosion or check to see if it is loose? Make sure you check all the wires going to the starter before replacing it.

Robert
Unread 03-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

My 01 did the same thing as your's when the battery went bad (but not dead though). Head lights and other things seemed to be working, but the starter would not turn over the engine. The fact that it starts with a jumper battery is the key indication of what the problem is. The WJ seems to need a battery in good shape.

I replaced the battery and it started right up.
Unread 03-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Robert1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj
My 01 did the same thing as your's when the battery went bad (but not dead though). Head lights and other things seemed to be working, but the starter would not turn over the engine. The fact that it starts with a jumper battery is the key indication of what the problem is. The WJ seems to need a battery in good shape.

I replaced the battery and it started right up.
Even when he said he just had the battery tested and it was good?
Unread 03-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234
Even when he said he just had the battery tested and it was good?
Depends on who did it and how it was done. The fact remains that a jump start with another battery works; therefore, replace the battery.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Good catch

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 03-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
madcabbie

From what he is explaining it would be the starter...I mean its just clicking when he turns the key...even with a low battery you would get a little something...

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, [SIZE="4"]GOD[/SIZE] Kills a kitten.
madcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The starter draws a tremendous load (mucho amps) I agree that a low battery should begin to turn it, but if it had like 6 volts in her, then I believe the starter solenoid would do nothing but maybe click.

If the engine can be jump started…then it ain’t the starter motor. This would not be the first time someone has had his or her battery tested, and the results were wrong.

Unread 03-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #13
MasternX

ok so, I checked all of the connections, cleaned off any corrosion, and tried to start the car.. Still no luck. I turned the key probably 30 times or so and never got the car to start.. I tried jumping it with my dad's car, and it wouldn't start.. then I tried jumping it again, but on another car, and it finally turned over.. I drove the car to my buddy's garage, and we checked the battery again, and he said it was holding/putting out a good charge, and so I turned the key, and it wouldn't start again.. He said it sounds like its the starter, so I went to Pepboys and they just happened to have 1 in stock (4 other locations I called didn't have it in); paid for it, put the sucker in, and now the jeep starts up like a beast.. No problems at all.. so I guess afterall, it was really the starter and not the battery.. ? Thanks for all the help everyone! this board is awesome..!

Sincerely,
Noah
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #14
Robert1234

Glad to hear that you got her fixed. Good thing you did not add another battery to the land fill, and then have to spend money on a new starter anyway.

Robert
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
rconverse

I have a starter related question. Would the other electrical parts of my car still work like radio and headlights? My WJ all of a sudden is just clicking when I turn the key. However, I could barely get my windows rolled up. I guess what I'm asking is, would the starter click if the battery was drained? I'm now worried that both the starter and the alternator could be fried. I just put a new Interstate battery in about two months ago.

Roger
rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.