Multiple codes, need help please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Multiple codes, need help please.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
jsaunsnp

Multiple codes, need help please.

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0. About a month ago it started rough idling and would stutter at highway speeds. I replaces the coil rail and plugs and that seemed to fix it for about a week. It started doing it again, the check engine light came on, after shutting it off and starting it up again it stopped and the light was out. Today it started doing it again but it seems worse. At one point while driving the light started flashing so I got home and now need to figure out what to do. The codes it is showing are P0122, P0107, P0205, P0300, P0303, P0442, P0305, P0456.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jsaunsnp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Start here....

Sent from my Iphone4
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Tezzating
2000 WJ 

P0107 - MAP sensor voltage low
P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor voltage low
P0205 - Injector fault #5
P0300 - Multiple random misfires
P0303 - Misfire cylinder #3
P0305 - Misfire cylinder #5
P0422 - Vapor leak (small) from EVAP detected
P0456 - EVAP leak (small) detected

IMO, verify battery charge level (over 12V) and condition, clean the terminals and posts (replace the terminals if necessary), clean the ground points (passengers inner fender, engine block to firewall), clean the terminal and post on the alternator, get the alt tested. Clean up the fuses in the PDC next to the battery too.
Wonky power will cause all sorts of problems, and the low voltage warnings from multiple sensors makes me think power problem. Misfires and generally bad running are symptoms of bad sensor inputs.

Those two EVAP codes are typically cause by fitting a non-stock gas cap, a busted stock gas cap, or a stock cap not fitted properly. Try removing the cap with the engine off, then snugging it back down again. Clear the codes and see if that helps.

Good luck
Tezzating is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
jsaunsnp

Thanks I will start with the electrical power supply.

As far as the evap codes I do remember my wife coming home after getting fuel about a week ago and the fuel door was shut but the cap was still hanging down.
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Check the wiring harness behind the valve cover. Some times the valve cover stud rubs a hole into the wiring harness and starts shorting things out.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
jsaunsnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Check the wiring harness behind the valve cover. Some times the valve cover stud rubs a hole into the wiring harness and starts shorting things out.
would that be the one that runs to the map sensor?

Also as a side note, when I replaced the coil rail and plugs I put in Bosch platinum + 4's after reading through the forums I take it I should switch those back out work the standard champions?
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

It's the one that is about an inch thick with the coil harness coming out of it.
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
jsaunsnp

Gotcha,

Well I cleaned and inspected the battery, grounds and relays. The negative side confection seemed a little loose so I made sure I tightened them both down tight.

I also pulled the coil rail off and replaced the new plugs I had put in with the oe champions.

I inspected the wiring harness, there was some wear on the jacket but not all the way through. So I wrapped that and hopefully fit it off the bolt. After all that and erasing the codes I drove it about 75 miles and it seems to be running good.

hopefully that will take care of it. Time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for the fast responses and help.

I appreciate it,
John
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Bosch in a Chrysler? Shame on you LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.