Muffler or Entire Cat-back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Muffler or Entire Cat-back

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Muffler or Entire Cat-back

Wanting to get a new exhaust set up like a Flowmaster something (haven't picked what type yet) and I was just wondering if it is worth upgrading the whole system to 3 inches from 2.5. Im also pretty sure I don't have any corrosion on the pipes.
2000 Limited 4.7 Low Output

Unread 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

Upgrading the entire system with a high flow converter, muffler and 3" diameter tailpipe such as my Kolak Exhaust will give you a nice boost in power and efficiency.

There's good return on investment in other words. But if it's not in the budget for a complete system, nothing wrong with just swapping out the muffler to get better sound from your V8.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Upgrading the entire system with a high flow converter, muffler and 3" diameter tailpipe such as my Kolak Exhaust will give you a nice boost in power and efficiency.

There's good return on investment in other words. But if it's not in the budget for a complete system, nothing wrong with just swapping out the muffler to get better sound from your V8.
Is sound the only thing I will gain with upgrading just the Muffler?
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

One would assume so. You'd be adding the potential for greater flow in the middle but leaving restriction upstream and downstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldry View Post
Is sound the only thing I will gain with upgrading just the Muffler?
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
WoodsStalker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldry View Post
Wanting to get a new exhaust set up like a Flowmaster something (haven't picked what type yet) and I was just wondering if it is worth upgrading the whole system to 3 inches from 2.5. Im also pretty sure I don't have any corrosion on the pipes.
2000 Limited 4.7 Low Output
One of my regrets on purchasing my '04 SE is that I had the dealership replace a rusty "cat back". I should have negotiated the price down. I did not know about the Kolak exhaust at that time. Now I have to wait until the section where the third cat would be, if it came with one from the factory, to rust out, to justify the expense. My thoughts on the subject, go for the 3" system.
WoodsStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Next question: and yes I have searched! What is everyone's opinion on the 40 SERIES DELTA FLOW. NOT the super 40 and NOT the regular series. You can compare the delta flow to the other ones but I want some info on the 40 series delta flow. Drone? Aggression? Worth the money?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.