MTR's VS. DURATRAC HELP!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MTR's VS. DURATRAC HELP!!

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Edited reply today. I mis-read the tire choices and thought it said 'Destination'. Sorry for typing up an irrelevant reply.

2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
zzjdzz
1999 WJ 

I would go with Duratracs if you plan on driving it down the road. MT/R's are nice off road, but are directional and LOUD.

99 WJ --- 14 KL
zzjdzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
FULLJEEP
2004 WJ 

Wj

Hey, saying is around here that MT/R wear rapidly on paved roads, as highways, is it true?
FULLJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
Ben_dover4dover
I like to smell tires

2004 WJ 

I sell Both of these puppies all day long. and I always make sure to get feedback from all of my customers on them bc there is a huge debate on which ones are really better.
The Duratracs are absolutely amazing tires. they run great in snow, rain, dry and mud. I've never heard a bad thing about them. If you are going to be driving on/off road and it is your daily driver. the Duratrac is the way to go. I've heard that they wear a lot better than the MTRs. the Duratracs are what i consider a hybrid mud terrain/all terrain. some may argue differently. Goodyear was very close to discontinuing these tires, from what i understand they stopped making them then realized they should keep them in production. we had a hard time getting a hold of these for a month or so due to this, but now we are having no problem.
now for the MTRs, I could care less what the technical meaning of MTR is. It IS a mud terrain tire. like said before, it is designed very similar to an agricultural tire for maximum grip in mud and off road use. they use something called long bar/short bar design for agricultural tires, basically that means that on one side of the tire the bars are longer than the other side. Goodyear spiced up the design to make it a tire than can be used on and off road by giving it a tread meant for the streets. if you take a picture of a long bar/short bar ag tire next to the MTR-K you will clearly see the similarity in the basic directional design. These tires are absolutely amazing tires as well. I cant say anything about road noise but my only guess is that they will be fairly noisy.

as for sizing, I'm running 255/75R17 on mine with a total of 4" lift. which is a little over a 31" tire, and i have quite a bit of room for more. I believe that you should go for a 265 or a 275/70R17 (Duratracs and MTRs are made in this size). Im going to 275s when I get new tires, for yours I'd say 265 or 275, and if you wanna keep some room go for 255s.

All-in-all, you really wont go wrong either way you go. It will come down to YOUR personal preference. From my understanding of what you are looking for, the Duratrac is EXACTLY what you are looking for. and they are a little cheaper. Price MTRs and Duratracs in the sizes you are considering then decide. you will probably be able to get 255 MTRs for the price of 265 Duratracs, maybe.
hope this helps a little
Ben_dover4dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Duratracs FTMFW!!!!
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
lam007
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
I have had 2 sets of duratracs, 32" and 33" equivalent, awesom tire.....still own the 33's

I have 35' MT/R (old style) they are loud and dont do well in rain...
I wondered about the rain. My boyfriend looked at the tread and said that he figured they would hydro plane bad.
lam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #22
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam007 View Post

I wondered about the rain. My boyfriend looked at the tread and said that he figured they would hydro plane bad.
My MT/Rs dont do well in the rain but then again California is in a serious drought, so that goes to show how bery little it rains in SoCal
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #23
lam007
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_dover4dover View Post
I sell Both of these puppies all day long. and I always make sure to get feedback from all of my customers on them bc there is a huge debate on which ones are really better.
The Duratracs are absolutely amazing tires. they run great in snow, rain, dry and mud. I've never heard a bad thing about them. If you are going to be driving on/off road and it is your daily driver. the Duratrac is the way to go. I've heard that they wear a lot better than the MTRs. the Duratracs are what i consider a hybrid mud terrain/all terrain. some may argue differently. Goodyear was very close to discontinuing these tires, from what i understand they stopped making them then realized they should keep them in production. we had a hard time getting a hold of these for a month or so due to this, but now we are having no problem.
now for the MTRs, I could care less what the technical meaning of MTR is. It IS a mud terrain tire. like said before, it is designed very similar to an agricultural tire for maximum grip in mud and off road use. they use something called long bar/short bar design for agricultural tires, basically that means that on one side of the tire the bars are longer than the other side. Goodyear spiced up the design to make it a tire than can be used on and off road by giving it a tread meant for the streets. if you take a picture of a long bar/short bar ag tire next to the MTR-K you will clearly see the similarity in the basic directional design. These tires are absolutely amazing tires as well. I cant say anything about road noise but my only guess is that they will be fairly noisy.

as for sizing, I'm running 255/75R17 on mine with a total of 4" lift. which is a little over a 31" tire, and i have quite a bit of room for more. I believe that you should go for a 265 or a 275/70R17 (Duratracs and MTRs are made in this size). Im going to 275s when I get new tires, for yours I'd say 265 or 275, and if you wanna keep some room go for 255s.

All-in-all, you really wont go wrong either way you go. It will come down to YOUR personal preference. From my understanding of what you are looking for, the Duratrac is EXACTLY what you are looking for. and they are a little cheaper. Price MTRs and Duratracs in the sizes you are considering then decide. you will probably be able to get 255 MTRs for the price of 265 Duratracs, maybe.
hope this helps a little
This is alot of help. I had came to the decision of getting the duratrack form what I have been reading and this just confirmed me. Now to look at what those sizes look like on some WJs. I really appreciate this in deepth write up. Best one yet!!
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:

This is alot of help. I had came to the decision of getting the duratrack form what I have been reading and this just confirmed me. Now to look at what those sizes look like on some WJs. I really appreciate this in deepth write up. Best one yet!!
In my opinion you will enjoy the Duratracs...tires looks good...grab well...stick to road...are quieter than the MT/R....
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
lam007
2002 WJ 

Quote:
In my opinion you will enjoy the Duratracs...tires looks good...grab well...stick to road...are quieter than the MT/R....
Awesome. Noise doesnst bother me. I actaully like it. As long as its not to much. My KM2s have a whine to them but it is getting louder as they wear down. BUt I think I am deffiently doing duratracs just need to pick a size.
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Comparing apples to oranges.

Duratracs are pretty darn good in the winter and excellent when you stud them. Road noise isn't much more than stock tires really. I run them on my truck (Sierra Quad Cab) and haven't had issues with them in any weather. Their down fall is in rocks. I also have a set on my work truck (EcoBoost F-150) and it gets driven on gravel roads and limestone roads on site. They chunk and are wearing weird with less than 10k on them.

I have the MTR/k tires on the Jeep. Wear absolutely fine on the road, not significant decrease in wet performance, not insanely loud but you know they are there.

I'd use the Duratracs if you'll be doing more city driving and mild trails. MTR/k if you do more aggressive wheeling.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:

Awesome. Noise doesnst bother me. I actaully like it. As long as its not to much. My KM2s have a whine to them but it is getting louder as they wear down. BUt I think I am deffiently doing duratracs just need to pick a size.
265/75 on 4" lift will require some minor trimming .....id go a smaller size
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #28
lam007
2002 WJ 

Quote:
265/75 on 4" lift will require some minor trimming .....id go a smaller size
I am also not going for the stuffed look either. I like to have a little space on them. I have a 245 right now but that is to small needs to be a little bigger then that.
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:

i am also not going for the stuffed look either. I like to have a little space on them. I have a 245 right now but that is to small needs to be a little bigger then that.
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
Ben_dover4dover
I like to smell tires

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I agree.

But anytime man, you will get a different opinion from everyone. like it was said earlier, it almost like comparing apples to oranges.
I have heard that MTRs are poor in the rain. but the Duras are great all around.
as for size you will need to remember that although a Duratrac says 265/70R17 and so does an MTR, they wont be exactly the same. bc they have different tread depth and other factors. size is based on very generic proportions. width (265) is measured from the widest part of the sidewall from sidewall to sidewall. this is not going to tell you how wide the tread width will be. that is a different measurement. and the height (70) measures 70% of the width, from bead (where the tire seats on the rim) to the bottom of the tread, it does not include the tread, thats where tread depth comes into play which is measured in 32nds (18/32nds 16/32nd etc.) basically imagine the tire completely worn down. Tomorrow when I'm at work I will get you exact specs from goodyear.

here is my WJ 3" IRO with .75" spacers running 255/75R17 Cooper AT3s. also front is trimmed about 1.5" and rear about 1"

Ben_dover4dover is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.