Mpg - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mpg

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Mpg

I'm going crazy! I have done mostly everything I can think of that would help my mpg. To begin with I knew it would be bad getting 15-17mpg. But now I'm down to 11-12 with 1.5 wheel spacers & 245/65/17 tires everything else is stock. I have recently gotten my plugs changed and my oil done. Now I'm getting my fuel filter done as we'll. if anyone has any other pointers that would be great! Also thinking about a cold air intake but have been hearing mixed response about mpg increases.

Unread 10-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
1999wjlimited
1999 WJ 

What spark plugs did you use?
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If even half of your driving I'd start it up and drive less than 5 miles its a loose loose condition. Especially if you let it sit and idle for 5 to 10 min to warm up first.

I've seen 13.5mpg in winter do to this. And my wife drive 3/4 mile to work after the warmup.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
aralph30
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999wjlimited
What spark plugs did you use?
stock ones I believe their championins
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
marcall
2004 WJ 

I recently put a catback on and now I'm showing 2 mpg less than what I averaged before on the overhead display (and I drive exactly the same, I'm not stepping on the pedal more). I have not yet done a full fill up though and only two partial ones and when I do I reset the display. I have a phone app I use to keep track as well but I used to only use it on road trips in fact it's called 'Road Trip" and it always averaged different than the overhead, the overhead has a reputation of being not so accurate. The App uses the simple math formula like we used to with pen an paper before the displays. If I were you I'd download an app or keep track with pen and paper as well. If you only recently added the spacers you might need to give it a few tanks and resets of the display to get closer to accurate. I've never been OCD about milage though but if the app turns out to show the same then I'm gonna buy me that bumper sticker "Not a hybrid/11mpg" :wink:
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you're getting your MPG from the overhead, that's problem number 1. Using the overhead is as accurate as guessing.

Don't get a cold air intake. It isn't going to do anything positive. If you need a new air filter, get a Wix paper filter.

If you are behind on fluid changes or your O2 sensors are on their way out, that could cause poor mileage.

I'm not sure when they switch NY to winter gas but that will cause a drop in fuel mileage as well.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Moochs4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post

I'm not sure when they switch NY to winter gas but that will cause a drop in fuel mileage as well.
Ny has a 10% ethanol blend all year.
Moochs4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Winter blend gas is killing my mpgs here in IL
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochs4x4 View Post
Ny has a 10% ethanol blend all year.
There is a difference between winter blend and ethanol blend. Around here, there is usually a 10% blend of ethanol in all the fuel all year round. It's nice to find some without ethanol on occasion!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
cpratt247
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
There is a difference between winter blend and ethanol blend. Around here, there is usually a 10% blend of ethanol in all the fuel all year round. It's nice to find some without ethanol on occasion!
Look for the app "Pure Gas", like gas buddy but only for gas without the ethanol. I use it when I'm driving from Houston back to Jersey City.
cpratt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

i dont know what you guys have for trans control but a programmer would help with a tune in the mpg direction
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

i guess the first thing to do is be sure all the fluids are at proper levels(engine, trans, differentials, etc)and your intake/outtake is working right(o2 sensors, mass airflow sensor). Keep on with the full tune up as that will only help out.
Cold air intake usually doesn't do much of anything with mpg, and when it does, it's usually in the .2-.4mpg ranges.
You should never rely on the overhead for anything other than general reference. If it drops significantly from what you should be getting, then you should start manually tracking it.
Lastly, real world numbers for short city driving is only in the 11-14mpg range. I take it you didn't change driving habits so what time frame did it change? between gas fill ups or what?
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Hate to tell you, but that's basically a normal tank for me. 14mpg is consistently what I get and I drive it grandma style. If you are taking off from lights like a rocket and consistently putting the pedal down a lot, its going to be just about what you're getting.

If there is one thing I have learned from my quest for better mileage, it is that the most effective thing to change is the driver style. Just making myself conscience of when I am accelerating, when I could coast, when I am not in overdrive, netted me at least 3mpg. Its difficult to do at first, but if you continuously do it for a good deal of time, eventually it will become second nature and you will find yourself slowing down on the highway when you don't need to be in a rush, coasting up to red lights so you can ride through them by the time they turn green, not pounding it up to speed, (but doing it at a reasonable pace so you can get up to overdrive faster instead of spending a minute accelerating, its a balance), etc.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #14
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Reminds me of a time my son owned a Dodge Ram 318 V8 and told me he couldn't get better then 10 mpg with it.

I borrowed it for a week . Returned it after averaging 16 mpg . He could not believe it.

He asked me .... What did you do, drive like Mom? To which I replied.... Dang right!

Put an egg under your right foot and your issue will be gone.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
RussFromJersey
2004 WJ 

On my last road trip to Indy I got my '04 Laredo 4L to 26mpg was quite happy with that. Mixed city/hwy driving in NJ though is about 19-20mpg
RussFromJersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.