Mother ****ing Firestone! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mother ****ing Firestone!

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Just FYI I had a 2006 ford e350 work truck that I drove. The coolant res wad empty and there was a gallon of green coolant in the cab from the previous driver. So I filled it up thinking it was the right coolant. Well a month later the res was caked with slime and had to do multiple flushes to clean it and it still wasn't clean after that. So yeah mixing coolant can cause a BIG mess.

chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

In my personal experience, it's always worth it to use the recommended antifreeze.

Several years ago the water pump on my wife's 4.7 went out, I went ahead an replaced it with a new Cardone unit, and decided to flush and fill the coolant at the same time. At this time G-05 wasn't readily available, so I used Peak Universal Antifreeze. All was well, until 4 months later I noticed the water pump leaking again, so I went ahead an warranteed it out and again used Peak Universal AF. Like clock work (and in the middle of winter), the water pump started leaking about 4 months later. I was able to determine that it was the gasket that was leaking and not the weep hole. I replaced the Cardone gasket with a Fel-Pro and within a couple weeks it was leaking again. So I pulled the pump a fourth time and replaced the gasket with a Mopar, once again within a few weeks, it was leaking from the gasket.

I ended up flushing the coolant and draining the block, pulled the water pump, replaced the gasket with another Mopar, and refilled with G-05 and distilled water mixed 50/50. It's been about 3 years since I last opened up the cooling system, added coolant, or had a leak from the water pump. Even if I had 'overpaid' for coolant at the dealer (vs. using G-05), it would have saved me lots of time and money in replacement gaskets, coolant, and water pumps.

My only complaint with G-05 is in my SRT4, since the coolant bottle sits so close to the turbo it has discolored a bit and it makes it hard to check the coolant level since the coolant is lighter than the bottle.
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.