Mother ****ing Firestone! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mother ****ing Firestone!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Just FYI I had a 2006 ford e350 work truck that I drove. The coolant res wad empty and there was a gallon of green coolant in the cab from the previous driver. So I filled it up thinking it was the right coolant. Well a month later the res was caked with slime and had to do multiple flushes to clean it and it still wasn't clean after that. So yeah mixing coolant can cause a BIG mess.

chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

In my personal experience, it's always worth it to use the recommended antifreeze.

Several years ago the water pump on my wife's 4.7 went out, I went ahead an replaced it with a new Cardone unit, and decided to flush and fill the coolant at the same time. At this time G-05 wasn't readily available, so I used Peak Universal Antifreeze. All was well, until 4 months later I noticed the water pump leaking again, so I went ahead an warranteed it out and again used Peak Universal AF. Like clock work (and in the middle of winter), the water pump started leaking about 4 months later. I was able to determine that it was the gasket that was leaking and not the weep hole. I replaced the Cardone gasket with a Fel-Pro and within a couple weeks it was leaking again. So I pulled the pump a fourth time and replaced the gasket with a Mopar, once again within a few weeks, it was leaking from the gasket.

I ended up flushing the coolant and draining the block, pulled the water pump, replaced the gasket with another Mopar, and refilled with G-05 and distilled water mixed 50/50. It's been about 3 years since I last opened up the cooling system, added coolant, or had a leak from the water pump. Even if I had 'overpaid' for coolant at the dealer (vs. using G-05), it would have saved me lots of time and money in replacement gaskets, coolant, and water pumps.

My only complaint with G-05 is in my SRT4, since the coolant bottle sits so close to the turbo it has discolored a bit and it makes it hard to check the coolant level since the coolant is lighter than the bottle.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.