More death wobble... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

More death wobble...

So as it says still battling the death wobble.

99 wj 4.0 select track 4" rough country lift.

So what I've done to try to fix this is

New track bar bushings grade 8 bolts welded washer

New front lower control arm bushings

Replaced drop pitman arm with stock to correct angles

New lock washer and nylon locking nut on pitman arm

Ok so I did the track bar and everything went good for awhile (few weeks month or so)
Then I moved onto doing the bushings because they were shot didn't fix it at all.

I then noticed since doing the pitman arm swap that my drag link kept coming loose and clunking. Up and down movement.

So I bought grade 8 lock washer and a nylon locking nut and put that thing on there with probably 250-300lb of torque.
It fixed it for about a day....

It is no longer coming loose but still have death wobble
My steering is soooo much tighter now though feels great.

Well tonight driving it around I put it in 4wd and took it on the highway to see if I still got the death wobble.

Didn't really get a chance to find out, because my driveshaft blew apart at the tcase side.

Transfer case I think is fine because I stopped right away and the only visible damage is to the driveshaft. Plus I removed it and drove the Jeep home.

Driving with the driveshaft off it is the smoothest ride I've ever felt in the Jeep.

Thought maybe that was why I was getting it but no I still got the death wobble without the driveshaft in..

So sorry for the long explanation but I want to try to get everything out so people can help me here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 AM
superheady
1999 WJ 

By changing your pitman, drag link, tie rod, etc. you are altering your alignment. How big of wheels are you running? Have you had your wheels balanced recently? Have you had an alignment since all this? I'd start there since you already replaced the components.

Stay Heady My Friends
post #3 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

I've only changed the pitman arm and replaced the nut and washer no tie rods so it shouldn't have affected the alignment. 32s my alignment is straight tho

post #4 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 PM
OCBeachBum
2004 WJ 

Sounds like you might have a tire out of balance.
post #5 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Death wobble only happens over 62mph anything under and it drives smooth

post #6 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBeachBum View Post
Sounds like you might have a tire out of balance.
My tires are pretty bad just can't afford a new set yet. I've got a bubble balancer maybe I'll re check the balance.

post #7 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

I can drive 65mph hit overpasses and if I just maintain speed it does fine. But if I let off the gas or give it more gas it will start to death wobble.. what's up with that.

On a side note man this thing rides so smooth without the front drive shaft in.

post #8 of 32 Old 08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
MossyOakD
2002 WJ 

Check your tires or pay a reputable shop to check them. I'd especially recommend this if everything in your front end is checking out tight. Have you checked tie rod ends by chance?
post #9 of 32 Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Well finally got under the Jeep had the wife move the wheel back and forth and found some play in the frame end of the track bar.

I've put a bigger bolt in already and welded a washer on the frame.

I think it was 1/2 bolt. I'm guessing 9/16 is the biggest I can go?

I have a jks track bar Id like to not have to drill the sleeve out on that but idk if 9/16 will fit anyone know??

post #10 of 32 Old 08-14-2017, 11:04 AM
4WDlifeform

2004 WJ 

Hey man, still battling this, eh? Always helps to keep all the info on your original post.. So if any of this is a repeat, you can disregard..

I think I had suggested having your caster angle verified. Have you done this? It is hard to measure at home, you should get a shop print-out. I'd very highly recommend (1) ensuring that you do have a good caster angle or (2) getting adjustable uppers or lowers to make some changes and see what works best with your ride height and set-up.

Next, your tires. Even if they look good or the balance checks out, they could be BAD (out of round, pulled belt, etc). Get her some new shoes, you'll be surprised. Or since $$$ is tight, pick up a set of all-season tires on Craigslist or somewhere, or find a fellow Jeeper willing to swap you wheels/tires for at least a quick test drive, then at least you'll know if it is your tires causing the DW.

Your track bar. I too have the JKS, and love it. First thing I did though was replace the bushings with KOR hardened bushings. I recall you may have been trying to use a Dodge part? But, you really should go KOR. I too welded the washer, and installed with 1/2" gr8 hardware. There are write-ups on the forum on how to get a 9/16" bolt through there if you'd like to try that. You'll have to search the forum, it is out there somewhere.

I have done all the above, plus much much more. It is a painful and expensive problem to fix. There is no one magical solution, and it is such a controversial topic on here, you'll get pushed and pulled in all different directions (have you asked about the steering stabilizer yet!? lol!) I finally fixed mine (again, 4th time now) by replacing a blown front shock, and all new shock bushings. Most wouldn't believe it, but doesn't even feel like it wants to try to wobble on me. But, I always drive in fear, and will not let anyone else drive it. I know it is a ticking time bomb. Once you do fix yours, you'll never be confident, and once the very next thing goes bad, it will do it to you again, and again. But, I still love my WJ. Best of luck.

'04 WJ 4.0 295k 2" Coils 255/70 AT on JK take-offs
'14 KL 3.2 Trailhawk - Ain't touchin this one!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 AM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

^X2.

I'm assuming you have at least extended fixed CA's? At 4in of lift the caster angles are gonna be **** on stock arms. If you find the angles are indeed off, you'll want some high-quality adjustable's - I run IRO, heard good things about IronMan, and I know there are plenty others. They're a pain to adjust but worth it to get your alignment back where it should be. That in itself can solve a lot of DW issues.

You check TRE's? They often get overlooked in the quest to cure DW. Is it "ERMAHGERD IMA DIE" DW, or "Wow, this is annoying and stupid" shimmy? If it's just shimmy, the poor angles on the front DS could have been to blame (adjustable arms fixes that too, along with a double cardan shaft vs. the rzeppa).

baby jeep: 04 WJ Laredo w/ 242, IRO 3in w/ bilsteins & adj trackbar, IRO adj short front/rear UCA/LCA/A arm, 265/75/16 Laufenn Xfit, 4.56 gears
post #12 of 32 Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldspit47 View Post
^X2.

I'm assuming you have at least extended fixed CA's? At 4in of lift the caster angles are gonna be **** on stock arms. If you find the angles are indeed off, you'll want some high-quality adjustable's - I run IRO, heard good things about IronMan, and I know there are plenty others. They're a pain to adjust but worth it to get your alignment back where it should be. That in itself can solve a lot of DW issues.

You check TRE's? They often get overlooked in the quest to cure DW. Is it "ERMAHGERD IMA DIE" DW, or "Wow, this is annoying and stupid" shimmy? If it's just shimmy, the poor angles on the front DS could have been to blame (adjustable arms fixes that too, along with a double cardan shaft vs. the rzeppa).
I have fixed front lower control arms.

I've found my track bar on frame side is still moving so I guess I'm going up to a 9/16 bolt.

post #13 of 32 Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM
fastblack
2000 WJ 

I feel your pain, I've done a LOT to fix it on my rig and it just won't go away. Welded a washer on the axel side of the trackbar tonight and it didn't help it one bit. Other than shocks my front end is basically all new and solid.

Waiting on some more funds to replace the rear control arms. It's still riding on factory parts back there and they are SHOT.

I hate fixing other people's laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 32 Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

I actually just got some good used rims and tires put em on the Jeep and no death wobble.

I do get crazy shaking when braking from a high speed now though. But my front rotors are bad.

post #15 of 32 Old 08-16-2017, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

What would cause both my front rotors to be bad on the inside? On the outside they are good rotors but the inside driver side is so bad it feels like threads. Passenger side looks like only half the rotors was used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.