More codes...o2 sensors?...PCM?...Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > More codes...o2 sensors?...PCM?...Help!

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
njtiger

More codes...o2 sensors?...PCM?...Help!

I bought a 2002 WJ with 4.7 recently. By the time I got it home I had codes ABS 08 (emissions on O2 sensor B1/S1) and misfires in cylinders 1 and 2. So I figured the bad o2 sensor was causing the misfires. But after replacing it I still have codes. However, now they are ABS 08 (o2 sensor on B1/S1 still), P0158 (which has to do with the o2 sensor on B2/S2), and misfire in cylinder 1 (still think it's due to the o2 sensors not working properly).

So now I'm not sure where to go from here. Would it be the PCM? Please help!

njtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

You would do better if you just listed all of your OBD 2 codes in the correct P0xxx or Pxxxx format. That way we can look them up and get a better idea of what the problems might be.
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
njtiger

No problem.

Originally I had the following:

ABS 08 (emissions S1/B1)
P0300 (multiple cylinder misfire)
P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire)
P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire)

I replaced the o2 sensor S1/B1

Now I have:

ABS 08 (emissions S1/B1)
P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire)
P0158 (o2 B2 S2) - Found this: Circuit Shorted to Ground Conditions: Engine runtime over 4 minutes, system voltage over 10.5v, ECT Sensor more than 180°F, and the PCM detected the O2 signal was more than 1.50v, condition met for 3 seconds. Possible Causes: O2 signal tracking due to wet/oily condition in the connector O2 signal circuit is open or shorted to system power O2 is damaged or is has failed PCM has failed.

I then cleaned the o2 connections with electrical cleaner but same codes.

Thanks for the help
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
njtiger

Bump...Sorry, just not good with electrical.

1. It's not the connections...cleaned them and still getting the same code.
2. Do all of the o2 sensors run on the same circuit or ground? If they do that might be possible. Would anyone have a copy of the wiring diagram so I can trace it?
3. It could be a failed PCM.

I would be surprised if they are independent issues, especially considering that I already replaced B1/S1.

Need some opinions
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

That "code" ABS 08 (emissions on O2 sensor B1/S1) is something I have not seen or heard of before. Generally, ABS = antilock braking system, and it is not influenced by the emissions system. It takes a pretty sophisticated scanner to read ABS codes; are you sure that your scanner is reading the code correctly? Is the ABS light in the instrument cluster turned on?

The B1/S1 O2 sensor is not the cause of misfires in cylinders #1 and #2. Conceivably B1/S1 could influence #1, but #2 is in the right bank of cylinders where the important O2 sensor is B2/S1. Misfires usually are caused by faulty spark plugs, or faulty coils, or faulty (or just dirty) fuel injectors.

A P0158 is often caused by the wires getting against the hot exhaust which melts the insulation and creates a short.

You may indeed have a bad PCM, but I think it is too early to tell.

It would probably be a good idea to erase all the codes before the next start up and see which ones return. Maybe that's what you have done but you haven't mention it.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
njtiger

"That "code" ABS 08 (emissions on O2 sensor B1/S1) is something I have not seen or heard of before. Generally, ABS = antilock braking system, and it is not influenced by the emissions system. It takes a pretty sophisticated scanner to read ABS codes; are you sure that your scanner is reading the code correctly? Is the ABS light in the instrument cluster turned on?"

The ABS light is on and my scanner does read ABS codes. I found another thread on this forum that mentioned multiple cylinder misfires and the same ABS code...changing the o2 sensor fixed the problem. Yes, I thought it was weird also.

"The B1/S1 O2 sensor is not the cause of misfires in cylinders #1 and #2. Conceivably B1/S1 could influence #1, but #2 is in the right bank of cylinders where the important O2 sensor is B2/S1. Misfires usually are caused by faulty spark plugs, or faulty coils, or faulty (or just dirty) fuel injectors. "

I understand regarding the misfires. I checked the plugs and they are fine. I did not check the coils or injectors for faults at this point (that will be next). However, when I changed out the B1/S1 o2 sensor I no longer have a misfire in cylinder 2 (still a misfire in cylinder 1). Of course I am still getting the same ABS 08 code though...go figure.

On an additional note I did swap out a vacuum hose due to cracking. But that would cause both cylinders to work properly if it was the issue...right?

"A P0158 is often caused by the wires getting against the hot exhaust which melts the insulation and creates a short."

I will check out the wires for any melted spots. Why all of the sudden would I get a code though?...coincidence? This only came up after I cleared the first set of codes.

You may indeed have a bad PCM, but I think it is too early to tell.

It would probably be a good idea to erase all the codes before the next start up and see which ones return. Maybe that's what you have done but you haven't mention it.

Sorry I didn't mention before. I did clear the codes after I swapped out the o2 sensor. The second set in my previous posts is the new set of codes.

Thanks again for helping
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
njtiger

Bump
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
njtiger

Update...

I was messing around with the plugs and coil packs to try and narrow down the misfire issue. I found that cylinder 1 (first one on the drivers side, right?) had a black plug...running rich. This was the cylinder that I was getting a misfire code for. So I put in a new plug, put everything back together, and ran it to see how rich it was running. When I started it I now had no check engine light, go figure. And it was running smoother. As time went on it started to run rougher again (not too immediate...just idling in the driveway while messing with other stuff).

I checked it again and it was black. So I pulled the rest to check all the others and cylinders 1, 5, and 7 are all black/dry.

I am still getting an ABS code 08 (emissions on B1/S1) even after I swapped it out. Also I am still getting P0158.

What would be the cause of the motor to run rich just on the one side? Are the o2 sensors screwing up the mixture or is something else causing the engine to run rich and in turn producing codes for the o2 sensors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.