Mopar or Aftermarket Crankshaft position sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mopar or Aftermarket Crankshaft position sensor?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
TookayS2K

Mopar or Aftermarket Crankshaft position sensor?

My 99 WJ 4.7 started randomly misfiring and stalling. It finally popped up a CEL with a P0320. I read through pretty much all the old threads.. Majority say that aftermarket is junk but I also read a few guys have had Mopar sensors DOA.

Can I have some input on this? Specifically from anybody that recently replaced their crankshaft position sensor..

Also, is there anyway I can be sure that my crankshaft sensor is bad? I read that a few guys solved their stalling problems and clear codes (p0320) by replacing a camshaft position sensor and/or idle air control valve.

Thanks

TookayS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
macktheripper
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Go Mopar. The odds are in your favor with Mopar.
macktheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

+1 on Mopar. Jeeps are particular with their sensors and electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macktheripper View Post
Go Mopar. The odds are in your favor with Mopar.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
TookayS2K

If odds with mopar is better i'll go with them. Can anybody chime in for the second part of my question before I order?
Unread 08-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
wsar10
2003 WJ 

MOPAR sensors just work better in WJ's........you run the risk of DOA with ANYTHING.

Allot of guys have experienced that code indicating either or both sensors failing, for me the CKPS took care of my issue. As far as I know you cant really tell unless you test the individual sensors. I'm sure there is a procedure in the FSM, I'm not on my at home or have access to my FSM.

FWIW, you should just replace both and call it preventative maintance.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Jimbo_IX
2000 WJ 

I replaced the camshaft sensor. Jeep ran smooth for about 10 miles, then started with the stalling again. I then replaced the crankshaft sensor. Been running like a champ since. I went with the Mopar parts after doing a lot of research on the forums.
Jimbo_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
TookayS2K

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll order both mopar sensors.
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Mopar isn't necessarily "better" than other brands. Altough it is probably of better quality than most made in china junk sensors out there.

The real reason though you want to go with Mopar is to make sure you get a sensor that is calibrated specifically for your Jeep. If you go aftermarket, you are buying a sensor that is made to fit tons of different vehicles brands and models. Nozone will sell you a sensor saying it "fits" your vehicle because they don't know any better and it'd be the same as them selling you a freaking burger instead.

As a rule, I always go to the dealer for sensors, just because I'm not taking any chances. And that way if the new sensor doesn't resolve my problem, at least I'm not second guessing it.
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
2000_JeepWJ_505
2000 WJ 

Wj

Mopar is better, but if u dont have the money Ive seen LOTS of people buying off name brands that work perfect! I would go with Mopar! ** DONT ORDER FROM EBAY SELLERS, THEY SELL FAKE MOPAR, THERE PRODUCTS ARE MADE IN CHINA! Either buy from the dealship or buy from Mopar directly. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck with the stall out problem! Im dealing with that too,
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Go with Mopar.

I cant speak for the code, but my Jeep was stalling out on the highway randomly last April with no CEL. I replaced the CPS and all has been well since. The CPS failing seems to be a normal 4.0 issue.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #11
TookayS2K

I ordered both sensors from Amazon by Mopar. I'll update once I get them in.

Can anybody tell me why amazon vehicle check fit says the camshaft sensor does not fit my 99 4.7L?

I'm pretty confident that this is the right part number #56041584AF

Lastly, I havent' taken a look yet but from what I understand the camshaft sensor is somewhere on the passenger side of the engine?

I know that the crankshaft is behind the starter.
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

I used a "premium" replacement from the local auto parts store. Looked identical to the Mopar sensor, was $75 less, and works like a charm. Not one problem since.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
TookayS2K

Yeah, I guess you would be one of the lucky few that had success with an aftermarket sensor. However, it's pretty reasonable buying the Mopar sensors online. $50 for the crankshaft and $30 for the camshaft.

I took a quick peek at the camshaft sensor. From the looks of it, I'll be getting it from under the jeep. Would it be easier if I removed the battery/tray? It looks like it'll open up nicely if i do.

I tried unplugging the connector. I can't really see what type of locking mechanism it is... and I tried to feel around the clip to see if I could push down on something to unlock it but failed. help?
Unread 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
TookayS2K

Need some advice.. I went to take off my negative battery terminal before changing out both sensors and noticed the positive terminal was a bit loose.

I tightened both terminals up and started the jeep. It started right up but stalled two times. I'm thinking it's just the ecu relearning everything. Anyway, after a while everything smoothed it and it idled fine. I took it around for a spin and there was no misfiring, stalling or any codes.

I read that the p0320/misfiring/stalling can also occur from loose electrical connections. Could it be in fact that both my sensors are fine and it was just the loose connection? I have both sensors in hand but I dont want to replace parts that are not broken; at the same time I dont want to be stranded on the road. what to do...
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Mopar only when it comes to sensors, thermostats, and gas caps.

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.