Modifying WJ Stereo to support Ipod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Modifying WJ Stereo to support Ipod

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
W3MOT

Modifying WJ Stereo to support Ipod

I've seen these on eBay before. I wanted to modify my stereo with my own little twist. Maybe run the input down the dash and into the center console like on most newer Chryslers. Does anyone have some sort of diagram of where to soilder this to on the inside? Also, how does this work? What mode would you set the stereo to since the stereo isn't made to support this?

Thanks guys, and info is appreciated!

W3MOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
W3MOT

anyone know if this will work?

Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 Radio IPod/Zune/ Aux Input: eBay Motors (item 330456593181 end time Oct-28-10 20:45:54 PDT)
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
duranged
2001 WJ 

do you want an iPod connection or just a 3.5mm?
have you seen this post by smunns: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...3/#post9992383

i got this: Vehifit - Information page

but will be selling it soon...getting a new head unit

i think you need to be in cd changer mode for either...

Last edited by duranged; 10-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: fix link
duranged is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
W3MOT

Yes, just want the 3.5mm connector. I like those pics off the thread you gave me but I'm leaving the house for work right now. I'll take a better look at it in a little bit. Thanks for the reply!!!
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
MANUBI
2001 WJ 

yeah this one works..
i ordered one and it came in and worked good but it wouldnt turn the vol down.. so i returend it..

then he sent me the wrong cable back and i been going back n forth with him trying to get the right cable.

guys kinda a dick but all in all it works..

it plugs into the jack in the back of the raidio that your 6 disc changer used to plug into so u wont have that changer anymore.
MANUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
W3MOT

Ah, okay! So that's what that cable was for... My changer took a fart on me so I took it out, sold it on eBay with the stereo and bought a cd/cassette stereo. I now have a great little storage bin in my rear!
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
nickc50310

On mine, I went to radio shack and bought a 3.5mm male to male stereo cord. I then cut one end off. I then cut off the left and right channels for the changer on the back of my radio. This effectively disabled the changer. I then spliced the left and right channels of the 3.5mm to the wires to changer i cut off. I then ran the cord to wear I have mounted my Motorola Droid. I also put a ground loop isolator on the 3.5mm.

The only real down side to this is the changer doesnt work anymore but you do have to have a cd playing in it so the head unit will take the sound from 3.5mm. In the month and a half I have had my Overland, I never once used the changer. Hell, I didnt even use the in dash cd player! STILL HAVENT! LOL!

Let me know if you want a pic of my setup!!
nickc50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
W3MOT

The only thing I don't like about that idea is that you do not have the full sound experience. I want my iPod to play through all 6 speakers, etc. An I want it to do it correctly....
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
volvite
1999 WJ 

I bought the perpherial brand ipod connector that unplugs your cd changer and plugs directly into the changer port. It will charge my ipod, and I still can use steering wheel controls to change songs, volume up/down. it's worked great. It even works with my iphone, play music, but won't charge it. However you can also get the same setup but without the ipod connector and have a 3.5mm connector.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
W3MOT

Volvite, I'd like more informantion! Where did you get the kit? I'm just looking to plug my iPod into the 3.5mm Jack. I don't need to charge it. Give me more info!!!!!!!!! Thank you.
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
dlwilson42
2004 WJ 

I use the 3.5 mm connector version, and use it with my iPod and satellite radio. Works fine. Right now I have the 3.5 mm male cable coming out of the dash just above the space where the ashtray would go, but I'm still using a cigarette lighter charger for the satellite radio. If I ever get time on a weekend I want to wire the cigarette lighter charger and hide it inside the dash, so there is just a power connector coming out. I have the satellite radeo jammed in the space where the ashtray would go, but want to make a mount so it looks a little better.
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
W3MOT

Thanks for the info guys. I need brand names, prices, model #'s etc... Also, places where I can pick them out. Thanks!!!
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
nickc50310

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3MOT View Post
The only thing I don't like about that idea is that you do not have the full sound experience. I want my iPod to play through all 6 speakers, etc. An I want it to do it correctly....
Umm what are you talking about? Mine does play through all six speakers. What speakers did you think it plays through?
nickc50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
W3MOT

Oh. I thought you said you spliced the left and right front speakers only...
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
97Formulaws-6
2004 WJ 

Stereo audio is only 2 channels; left & right. Any input to the radio is only 2 channel. The radio "splits" it to the different speakers.

It's not surround sound like your home theater.
97Formulaws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.