Modified heated seat switches do whatever you want! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Modified heated seat switches do whatever you want!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Modified heated seat switches do whatever you want!

Alright guys, so whilst waiting for my WJ plates to get in I decided to do a fun little mod. I was going to install factory heated seats in my WJ that didnt come with them but realized it was cheaper and better to do aftermarket, so now I'm left with two factory switches. This mod is for you Jeepers out there who dont have heated seats, your heated seats dont work, or you dont want heated seats.

Disclaimer: Dont mess with your WJs electrical system unless you know what you're doing. You screw up you will probably ruin your heated seat switch, maybe even do further damage to your Jeep. I am an electrical engineering major and this stuff is my life so I'm used to it. If you dont know how to solder or aren't good I suggest starting on different projects because these switches are expensive as hell from the dealer and around me they're pretty scarce.

Current note: This switch has an internal circuit board. It is not designed to carry much current AT ALL! Thus you should only use this switch to control a relay, which can be used to power your bigger devices. Relays draw .25amps which is acceptable for this switch.

Alright, so get your hands on some heated seat switches for a WJ. On mine I gently sanded down a little plastic (for my semi-transparent labels) and gave them a coat of plastic paint. Looks great. You don't "need" to do this.

Pop the bulb out with a small flatblade twist a tiny bit and it will unlock and fall out. May need some finnesse if its sticking.

Peel off electrical tape-like tape on bottom of switch and pop all three clips on the top and sides so you end up like this. Be gentle and dont go banging it around the contents of the front of the switch are annoying to put back together if they pop apart.

Okay so basically the normal heated seat switch will transmit three resistance values to the computer based on position. Here are those three resistors.

We won't be needing those anymore so take your soldering iron to them and tap both sides and sweep it off to de-solder. Do all 3

Take a razor knife or some sharp object and scrape away a little bit of the pcb coating like so.

Now that the signal wire is exposed we can bridge the two joints with solder. This way, when you put the switch in the up position, instead of sending a resistance through the mux wire, it will give continuity. This essentially turns it into a switch. The switch lighting remains untouched and fully functional.

Pop the switch back together and test it out how you like. I used my multimeter on continuity testing mode and it works perfectly! You use the orange/black wire and the green/(red or white depending on side) wire for your normal switch feeds. Solid orange and black remain connected like factory for dash lighting and ground to the led indicators. For me I wanted to keep that because I'm putting a semi-transparent label over that should light up . Keep the white/red wire hooked up like factory for the LED indicators to work.

Edit: I just want to mention, it looks alot more messy in the pics than it does in person, my camera picks up reflections quite well. What you're seeing is the grease, these switches are coated in a petroleum jelly-like substance to keep the switch contacts from wearing down the components. It would be smart to wipe it off the area you're soldering in first and then afterwards smear a little bit more on. I didnt do this, so when the soldering iron hit the grease it turned it kinda black and smelt funny. Mine work just fine

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
joelwg
2005 WJ 

I can't believe you have just posted this!

I have the switches and was intending to install heated elements in to my seats but wasn't sure if an aftermarket kit would work with the canbus switches, now you have shown me the way forward.

Many thanks
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwg View Post
I can't believe you have just posted this!

I have the switches and was intending to install heated elements in to my seats but wasn't sure if an aftermarket kit would work with the canbus switches, now you have shown me the way forward.

Many thanks
Very nice! I was so held up planning it for aux equipment I completely forgot about making it work for the aftermarket heated seat equipment that I'm about to order. I'm only ordering a kit for the drivers side so drivers side switch will be heated seat passenger side will be power inverter. If I do that, to retain the factory look I will need to get another heated seat switche because I already sanded off the factory markings on mine (silly me)

This will work but just make sure you dont run the full current of the element through this or you're sure to burn something up. Use relays! Many heated seat kits have a 3-way switch (hi-off -low) so you'll need to modify my design and solder an extra wire to the top-most contact point and make a notch and run an extra wire out of the switch housing. My design above will turn a device on when the switch is flicked up and will have it off in the other two positions. My design also lets the bottom LED indicator turn on, I could fix it but it wont bother me too much.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
straty1987

this is a nice little mod.

since i have heated seat will not be doing this but nice to see people playing with the idea, next a write up on placing teh butny out light int he switch lol.

can i ask which aftermarket head seats did you pick up?
any links
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
this is a nice little mod.

since i have heated seat will not be doing this but nice to see people playing with the idea, next a write up on placing teh butny out light int he switch lol.

can i ask which aftermarket head seats did you pick up?
any links
Thanks, I was bored and wanted to crack these open so I had some fun and took pictures.

I havent ordered them yet but I will be ordering the WarmSeats kit from 4wd.com : Carbon Fiber Seat Heater by WarmSeats

PS heres a picture of the switch with my semi-transparent labels. I havent tested the lighting yet but in theory the white wording should light up at night just like it were factory

Matt
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
joelwg
2005 WJ 

The kit I am looking at is all pre wired with the relays so I think I could just switch the buttons out

I will have to look about making it on off on, unless you're feeling generous enough to show me

Another option was to get this temp regulator and have the switch on off and control heat with the dial. But that requires drilling more holes in the jeep which I am not keen on

WAECO HEATED SEAT KIT TEMPERATURE REGULATOR MSH-50-LIN on eBay (end time 02-Jan-11 14:38:32 GMT)
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
straty1987

on ebay can get the heating elements and switches for 2 chairs for under $100 shipped if you look around.
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I hit a mildly dissapointing snag today when I went to go put my switches in the WJ. I have the nice woodgrain lower dash in my 01.... but since it didnt come with heated seats they didnt put a pop-out plug. I would dremel it out but I know it wont look clean without the black outline the pop-outs have. Shopping around for lower dash now. I think I hid one in the junkyard in one of the door panels last time I was there from the WJ that I got the switches out of lol.

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
straty1987

yea there not a pop in type need the part with the socket.

unless you get one for cheap its simple to just get basic switches and make a small hole then doing using heated switchs
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Which style wood panel do you have? I have a ashtray bezel with the holes for the switches (no switches in there, already sold) that is the lighter desert zebrano wood. Let me know, i can give you a good deal.
gqmdl0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've got the Spartan Burl unfortunately. I went to the JY and the panel I "hid" turned out to be Desert Zabrano as well. I appreciate the offer though I'd totally jump on that but its cool I'll do some more junkyard searching up @ college I remember seeing at least 4 limiteds I didnt check out

Matt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.