misfire codes for cylinder 2 & 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > misfire codes for cylinder 2 & 5

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
vanwilder692
2001 WJ 

misfire codes for cylinder 2 & 5

Back story;-my 2001 grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 liter, first threw a p 0743 tcc code. first I changed my trans fluid and filter and drove 100 miles when the o/d went out and the trans over temp light came on and all hell broke loose. so went to the salvage yard bought a used tranny my friend who is a Chrysler technician put it in, and cleared the code. Now, I am getting a p 0300, p 0302 and p 0305; codes. Looked into a few things. First I found that the original code saying my tcc was bad (p0743) may have been caused by a misfire. And by changing the trans oil in a high mileage transmission may have actually than caused my transmission to fail. But that's already done and over with. So at first I thought the coil rail since I already changed the champion spark plugs with fresh champion plugs. But the firing order cylinder 2 and 5 does not share the same coil box. So instead of going back to the salvage yard and nickel and diming this thing to hell. Has anyone else had any luck and fixing their misfire codes with a new coil rail? I already thought of the "heat soak" thread. But my jeep already has the heat shield around the injectors and fuel rail. And I can't seem to think it would be a fuel injector because I am getting an average of 22.8 miles per gallon. That's 40% highway 60% city driving. I use fuel synthetic oil and have already tried to use sea-foam and 100% pure gasoline without ethanol. If you Google Ravenna Oil company, they still sell 100% pure 93 octane gas. So I am leaning more towards the ignition coil rail than the fuel injector being faulty or a valve being stuck with carbon deposits. However, I have never changed the fuel filter and not sure if a dirty fuel filter would cause multiple misfires. I am not a mechanic but I do try and do my own work when I know what I am doing. I do like this forum because I learned how if you turn your ignition key to on than off and repeat three times, the MIL codes will appear in the odometer!!!! nice!!! And I am a brand new member, so if I posted this in the wrong thread, I do apologies. I would just like to get this jeep in tip top shape before the summer heat hits here in Ohio. Thank you!!!

vanwilder692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Paragraphs help with ease of reading.

Changing transmission fluid doesn't kill high mileage units. Thats an old mechanics tale.

P0743 is a fault in the solenoid, not possible that the misfire had anything to do with it.

First step in diagnosis would be to swap coil packs and see if the misfire follows. Then the same with injectors.
Then test compression.
If nothing changes I'd get it on a scanner that does live data while driving and watch for any hiccups.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
vanwilder692
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the advice. I just purchased a coil rail I am going to swap hopefully by Thursday. Will keep the post updated.
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Cesar1940
2003 WJ 

I had the same issue except the misfire was on the 6th. The ignition coil definitely fixed that up right away. I've driven it extensively for about a week and the check engine has not gone off since. (crossing fingers)
Cesar1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
bama1965

2001 WJ 

I had the same issue. Coil rail from AutoZone solved my problem. My Jeep now runs like new.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Aathos
2002 WJ 

That sounds almost exactly like what has been going on with my WJ. New tranny, new 2 new Crank Position Sensors, a new Cam Position sensor, and I get those same codes: P0300, 302, & 305. The mechanic said they couldn't diagnose it because the problem only came up occasionally, and to come back when there was a more regular problem. Guess I'll have to look into the coil rails.
Aathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Cesar1940
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aathos
That sounds almost exactly like what has been going on with my WJ. New tranny, new 2 new Crank Position Sensors, a new Cam Position sensor, and I get those same codes: P0300, 302, & 305. The mechanic said they couldn't diagnose it because the problem only came up occasionally, and to come back when there was a more regular problem. Guess I'll have to look into the coil rails.
Yes my codes cleared and haven't returned thankfully and I am 2/3 weeks in. This was after the code firing up twice, once after clearing the code so it's safe to say the coil rack was bad.
Cesar1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
vanwilder692
2001 WJ 

Mr. Aathos, you are correct, it wasn't my coil rails, but the crank position sensor. My tech who changed my tranny didn't put it back in right. So now it's fixed, but the crank sensor is causing a "tapping" sound. But I can live with the tapping sound, but it did clear out the misfiring.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.