Minor bumpsteer with Rough Country X-Series kit.. replace Track Bar? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Minor bumpsteer with Rough Country X-Series kit.. replace Track Bar?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

....Edit....I just realized I missed the above post that beat me to my point...I measured mine from the flat spot on the bottom of the inner "c" where the ball joints bolt to the knuckle. At the bottom of the lower part of the c there is a flat spot perfect for an angle finder. I don't know if this is the best place or not, but I've read of other ppl on here doing the same thing with seemingly good results

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJONES
For caster, measure off the flat portion on the C's. What stabilizer are you running? Also, the heim's that come with the RC track bars have been junk for the past ~1.5 years. I've opened several up with major play in them new, and any that I installed had play within the first 500 miles. They need to be replace before they are installed with a better unit.
I'll try that tonight and let you know what I see.

I'm running the RC 2.2 stabilizer. It's actually a warranty replacement as the original one started leaking after a couple of months. No leaks on the new one. After I replaced it I was fine for about 3 months, then it started to come back again. Slight at first and then a little more after that. Replacing some of the previously mentioned items helped but didn't cure it altogether. My Heim is also a warranty replacement. The original one had some slop I noticed out of the box. The new one has zero slop even after 6 months of use.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll respond with my findings later tonight (measured off of the flat portion on the entire C and off of only the bottom of the C.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJONES
For caster, measure off the flat portion on the C's.

What stabilizer are you running?

Also, the heim's that come with the RC track bars have been junk for the past ~1.5 years. I've opened several up with major play in them new, and any that I installed had play within the first 500 miles. They need to be replace before they are installed with a better unit.
So can you get a better heim that will screw into the RC bar??
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
MIKEJONES

Have you actually unbolted the heim end and checked it by feeling the sphere with your hand? If not I would do that, even if you can not see movement while rocking your jeep/with a prybar/etc.

If it just started doing it after 3 months and you haven't changed anything then it has to be a worn part(s).

Take one end off of the stabilizer and push it in/pull out with by hand to make sure it's still stiff, the faster you go back and forth the harder it should be to move the shaft. We almost always use the RC stabilizers because they work great and we have had 0 problems out of them, but that doesn't mean you didn't get the rotten egg twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
So can you get a better heim that will screw into the RC bar??
Any 3/4" (i believe they are 3/4") right hand thread heim will screw in. Take it off and go see your local offroad, race car, or low rider shop and they should be able to get you the correct part.
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJONES View Post
For caster, measure off the flat portion on the C's.

What stabilizer are you running?

Also, the heim's that come with the RC track bars have been junk for the past ~1.5 years. I've opened several up with major play in them new, and any that I installed had play within the first 500 miles. They need to be replace before they are installed with a better unit.
Measured off the flat part of the C's (both the front and the rear) and came up with the same Caster measurement. It was clearly 9.5 on the front but the backside appeared to be at 10 but it was probably my viewing angle that made it difficult to read. Would too much caster cause my issues? I am thinking it would but I am just wanting you guys to check my sanity. How could they be that far off? They are currently adjusted to the RC recommended length for a 4" lift.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.