Minor bumpsteer with Rough Country X-Series kit.. replace Track Bar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Minor bumpsteer with Rough Country X-Series kit.. replace Track Bar?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Minor bumpsteer with Rough Country X-Series kit.. replace Track Bar?

I'm curious to know if any of you have actually been able to cure this issue by moving to either the JKS or the IRO bar.

I've got some minor bump steer on my WJ that I've been chasing for months now. It's not bad, just a couple of shakes every once in a while from large diagonal bridge seams on the interstate. I've looked everything over real well, replaced all 4 TRE's and did the drivers side bushing on the front upper CA (it was cracked) as well as checked by center for the axle and the CA length and everything looks great so I'm really down to only a few more things to replace... either the Ball Joints (which seem solid using both the pry test and the wobble test) or looking at replacing the RC track bar.

For those of you that aren't familiar with this kit, it's RC's best 4" short arm kit and it's got an adjustable track bar with a Heim on one end and a bushing on the other. Lower CA's are adjustable and set at 16" I believe per manufacturers specs. Some have said that the bar provides too much flex while others say that it's good and doesn't need replacing. Just wanting to hear your stories on how you fixed it.

Thanks.

brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
WJFrank88
2004 WJ 

Bumping. I have the same kit and experience bump steer also. I know it has a lot to do with the angles of the drag link and track bar.
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Ha. I'm having pretty much the same issue. Going over certain bumps in the road that bump steer it to almost the verge of DW. I still have the 2 year old RC stabilizer on there too, to sure if changing that out would help. But I have the basic kit so I had to buy a track bar additionally. I ran stock for about a month.
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit
Ha. I'm having pretty much the same issue. Going over certain bumps in the road that bump steer it to almost the verge of DW. I still have the 2 year old RC stabilizer on there too, to sure if changing that out would help. But I have the basic kit so I had to buy a track bar additionally. I ran stock for about a month.
But I finally replaced it with the RC bar and was told buy a few people around here I should have bought the IRO one for a little more but I was strapped for cash so I got the RC. I've replaced all The TRE recently too. I did notice that one of my RC front lower CA bushing is split. That could be it or front upper CA stock bushings are shot.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit
But I finally replaced it with the RC bar and was told buy a few people around here I should have bought the IRO one for a little more but I was strapped for cash so I got the RC. I've replaced all The TRE recently too. I did notice that one of my RC front lower CA bushing is split. That could be it or front upper CA stock bushings are shot.
did you notice a difference between the stock bar with the drop or the adjustable?
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

So long story short. I wish I would have got the (better) track bar so id have on less possibility to factor in on this bull ****e thing called DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!

image-3152302376.jpg
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
mikeyc1821
2004 WJ 

Something is loose somewhere..

I have the same kit as you. For me it was TRE's once I found them with visual play I replaced all 4 and I can hit any bump at any speed just about with zero issues..

The only bumps wiggling my wheel I should have avoided anyways..

My ball joints had play that pry bar didn't show... or wiggling.. only reason I figured it out was a buddy driving in front of me said it looked like my camber was waaaay off.
mikeyc1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat

did you notice a difference between the stock bar with the drop or the adjustable?
Well. I ran the stock bar with the dumb track bar drop bracket that wiggled loose every week so I took it to a local truck shop and the welded the track bar bracket in and that fixed it for a bit but like I said a few months later the front end started getting bump steer again so I replaced the stocker with the RC and it instantly worked but now about a year and a half later I'm back with it again. Having minor DW issues.
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Bumpsteer is a geometry issue pure and simple. If screwing with the trackbar without changing its length, angle or plane helps or cures the problem, then its not bumpsteer but instead, a worn or loose steering component.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
fast540
1999 WJ 

I run the same lift at 4.75" (with a spacer) and its dead solid but I replace any wear items as soon as they show wear tre ball joints ect
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Question: Should I do Adjustable Upper CA's or different TrackBar?

An update on where I'm at..

Since my first post on the subject here I've done the following:
- Replace Drivers side Axle Upper CA Bushing (there was a small amount cracking on the bushing)
- Replace Drivers side (Frame) Upper CA Bushing (there was a small amount of cracking on the bushing)
- Inspected the Passenger's side bushings (both on the upper CA and they look like brand new)
- New Hubs (both)
- Replaced all 4 Ball Joints
- Tightened both lower CA FlexJoint bushings as tight as I could
- Re-Torqued everything down so it's nice and tight.

I'm hearing less "Clunking" now from the front end which is good and it did help with the steering wheel shake a little over my worst bump. However, it's still not perfect and I'm finding myself trying to avoid spots in the interstate where I know it'll shake. So, I'd like to fix yet.

I went out with an angle finder and figure that my caster is at about 9.5 now but the wheel appears to be relatively centered in the wheel well so I'm not real keen about shortening the lower CA's which could cause rubbing (running 265-75-16's). Honestly, I'm getting tired of working on this rig and the wife's about to toss us both out if it continues. Which one of these two options (replacing the track bar or going with adjustable upper CA's) is going to give me the most bang for my buck and cure the wobble/bump steer whateveryacallit.

Thanks guys.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

It's like I wrote this thread. Especially that part with the wife. Lol. Mine started getting bad about 2 weeks ago, so I've been limping around since yesterday when I replaced my RC stabilizer with a moog super trail boss. That helped a little bit but my RC lower fixed control arm bushings were shot. So I got some new ones from RC and replaced them and what a difference that made. Now I'm trying to see is there is another heim joint I can thread into my RC trackbar because there is some minor play there that might be causing a little problem. Keep us posted on what's going on. It really is a pain when you have hold your breath over every bump in the road.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Brouwmat -- there is no way your caster is 9.5* If so, your driveshaft would vibrate you off the interstate. How are you measuring, exactly?

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8
Brouwmat -- there is no way your caster is 9.5* If so, your driveshaft would vibrate you off the interstate. How are you measuring, exactly?
skain8,
I was measuring off of the diff using both the flat surface and the upper and lower bolts off of the cover. There was another post on this site that said on a D30 you could do this and subtract 12. I also found this info and a chart online that concurs with the previous statement: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm. From what I understand, I have a low pinion D30 axle and measure 2.5 off the Diff.

No vibes that I'm aware of, but I did do the double-single cardan shaft off of a ZJ because my Repezza wore out very quickly.

Thanks and I really appreciate your help.
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
MIKEJONES

For caster, measure off the flat portion on the C's.

What stabilizer are you running?

Also, the heim's that come with the RC track bars have been junk for the past ~1.5 years. I've opened several up with major play in them new, and any that I installed had play within the first 500 miles. They need to be replace before they are installed with a better unit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.