The millionth diff fluid thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The millionth diff fluid thread

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
mxjosh

The millionth diff fluid thread

Ok guys, before I get lit up I've searched through a ton of threads and looked all over wjjeeps.com....

I have a 2004 WJ 4.7HO with Quadra-Trac II, looking to change my diff fluids soon. Correct me if I am wrong, but looks like I have a D30 front axle, D44 rear axle, and NV-247 transfer case. I plan on running 75W-140 synthetic in both, but I haven't been able to tell if I have a rear LSD that would require a friction modifier. Anyone know?

Thanks for the help!

mxjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
robbie1003

this was a question I asked my dealer when I was looking to change mine.
if you get "normal" diff oil or buy genuine jeep (probably PETRONAS now) you will need the modifier for the system to function correctly but (this was suggested by my jeep dealer) there are diff oils specifically for lsd diffs which already contain the modifiers, a little more expensive than normal diff oil but you don't need to buy the modifier.
robbie1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
mxjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie1003 View Post
this was a question I asked my dealer when I was looking to change mine.
if you get "normal" diff oil or buy genuine jeep (probably PETRONAS now) you will need the modifier for the system to function correctly but (this was suggested by my jeep dealer) there are diff oils specifically for lsd diffs which already contain the modifiers, a little more expensive than normal diff oil but you don't need to buy the modifier.
I don't think you understood my question. Friction modifiers/ oils with friction modifiers included are required only on LSD diff's. I'm asking if my qudratrac II rea D44 is LSD or not?
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Op has QT2. Quadratrac 2 needs no friction modifier as it has open diffs. Only quadradrive needs its because it has varilock diffs.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia
op has qt2. Quadratrac 2 needs no friction modifier as it has open diffs. Only quadradrive needs its because it has varilock diffs. Sent from the dark side using only the force.
^^^x2
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
blackcar87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Jack the rear up, spin the wheels. If they spin opposite of each other=open rear. If they spin the same direction =LSD needs modifier.

"Do you know about Tyler Durden?"
blackcar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
blackcar87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Also the stamped tag bolted to the rear end cover says 75w 140 SYN FRIC MOD 4 OZ if it has varilocks.

"Do you know about Tyler Durden?"
blackcar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
mxjosh

Thanks guys, answered what I needed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.